Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rule of Two

Rayla_Felana
12.15.2011 , 12:50 AM | #31
First of all, the Brotherhood of Darkness was not weak, it was very strong, it had complete control over everything but the galactic core and was set to take them with overwhelming force.

Then Darth Bane comes along with a rule that screams idiocy, by definition of being only two the Sith are extremely vulnerable as soon as they reveal themselves, it's all well and good having a galactic empire and being most powerful Sith, but when you get thrown down a reactor shaft by your own redeemed apprentice, there goes that Rule out of the window, because it just ended with only about 35 years of galactic domination.

This argument that the Sith are weakened by greater number of Dark Side force users has been proven wrong by the Sith Empire, headed by an Emperor whom has ruled for longer than the Banite Sith have been in existence, his Dark Council members are all very powerful Sith themselves as far as we have seen, then we have even more numerous powerful Sith Lords leading the Empire's armies.

Accumulated the Sith Empire's force prowess far outmatches the Banite Sith at any point of there tenure, now yes, they may not have the most powerful Sith, Lord Sidious, but their sheer number still takes the cake in my eyes.

Xzardas
12.15.2011 , 01:00 AM | #32
you kinda need to define power for it to have any meaning. Power as in force potency? Power as in cunning? Power as in at one point being in a more power full situation? (Obiwan defeating Anakin because of high ground.) or power in the form of having information your opponent don't have?. Power is always relative and never absolute. That is the biggest flaw behind the rule of two. As means of survival in a galaxy were the jedi dominate and keeping a low profile it works though. Also to many bad *** bad guys would have ruined the story of the movies.

DaemonGrin
12.15.2011 , 01:16 AM | #33
Hello everyone just wanted to try adding a little something to the Bane story that I found interesting. Now I'm not a dedicated Star Wars fan don't hurt me! I love what I've seen and played but haven't read any of the books etc. For my little curious venture into this topic.

In KOTOR I when Revan is accessing the star map on Kashyyyk he has to answer a few questions. One of them being something a long the lines of "You know of an incoming attack 2 weeks before it happens but the sith have grown complacent or disillusioned of their lord what do you do?" one of the answers and the one to choose for dark side is to let the attack happen.

Now is it possible this was Banes true motivation? To weaken the Sith putting them in "the hurt locker" so they could continue to become stronger I mean once you conquer the galaxy whats left but to deteriorate into ruin? and the reason Bane came up with the rule of 2 was so the empire would run into more chaotic encounters inevitably making the 2 sith and the empire stronger?

Just something I was curious about while reading these excellent posts!

Much <3
Geoff

DMtyrisis
12.15.2011 , 01:08 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Htiffirg View Post
Not all Sith will follow the Rule of two. Look up the Lost Tribe and read the Fate of the Jedi series.
The Lost Tribe was lost before Darth Bane created the rule of two. The Lost Tribe was dispatched by Naga Sadow, the Sith ruler well before Darth Bane.

DMtyrisis
12.15.2011 , 01:17 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Bgiffo View Post
Imo, Revan's version of the rule of two made a lot more sense. Two sith lords, one master one aprentice, and lots of cronies.
Revan predated Darth Bane by many, many years! Revan was to be the Emperor's Vanguard of the Sith invasion of Republic space. When he failed, Revan and Scourge gave the Emperor enough doubt to wait a few hundred years - bringing the story up to SWTOR timelines.

Darth Bane comes long after the time of SWTOR.

SammyRath
12.16.2011 , 08:49 AM | #36
Quote:
Then Darth Bane comes along with a rule that screams idiocy, by definition of being only two the Sith are extremely vulnerable as soon as they reveal themselves
I think you might be a little too hasty there friend.

When the Sith revealed themselves in Episode 1 after 1,000 years following the Rule of Two, and following Maul's death, the Jedi didn't even know If the master, or apprentice had been killed. Nor did they have any clue who else might be Sith.

While The Brotherhood of Darkness was strong, they didn't beat either the Jedi, nor the Republic. In fact they waged a centuries long war with them. The Sith Empire of TOR also haven't beaten either Jedi, nor Republic.
I can't actually think of, or know of any Sith Empire not following the Rule of Two that has ever decisively won over the Jedi Order, or The Republic. If anyone knows of another Sith Empire not following The Rule who managed to defeat both Jedi, and Republic please let me know.

During the Rule of Two however, Darth Sidious orchestrated both the destruction of the Jedi Order, and the Republic. Both more or less overnight.

Allfader
12.27.2011 , 09:48 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by OrderSixtySixx View Post
When you think about it...how many Sith masters have to die before they realize that maybe having an apprentice is a sure fire way of getting usurped/killed. I see apprentices as a liability, unless your goal is to eventually kill said apprentice and somehow absorb thier force power...let them struggle.
The apprentice killing the master was exactly the point. It not culled the weak from the order, but it ensured the apprentice would not become the master until he was in fact stronger than the master, making the order progressively stronger as time went on. That's how Sidious and Vader were able to wipe out the Jedi Order almost completely. And before you say that Vader actually almost died at the hands of a Jedi, keep in mind that he was still an apprentice and hadn't had time to learn the ways of the Dark Side before he was thrust into an accelerated time table for Order sixty-six.
Who I am is not important. My message is.
Nathan-hale - 50 Medic Operative
D'uzlina - 25 Hybrid PvP Sorcerer
Mandalore the Indomitable