Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Gifts Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Companion Gifts Questions

FallenDrow
12.19.2011 , 10:48 PM | #1
Hey all,

So let's just say Corso does not exactly agree with all my choices...

Can anyone tell me what's to stop me from buying a hundred of those 200 credit gifts on the gift vendor and increasing my companion's affection? Do gifts suffer from diminishing returns? I'll try a few when I get back on but was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up Diplomacy, grab the extra dark side points, and stock up on some gifts before I drop it for my crafting profession later on (currently heavy gathering).

Karmond
12.19.2011 , 10:53 PM | #2
Yes, there's diminishing returns every 2000 points in affection.

I think the best rank 1 gifts (best cost/affection ratio) give 97 affection each between 0-2000, 47 affection 2000-4000 and 19 affection 4000-6000. I'm unsure after that.

What I did was give my companions gifts every 30 seconds upto ~6000 as soon as I got them, and got them the rest of the way by switching to them before starting a NPC conversation.
Joseph <Hurricane> 50 Guardian Master Dar'Nala
Karmond 50 Vanguard The Swiftsure

Grashik
12.19.2011 , 10:55 PM | #3
Well theres nothing stopping u from doing it. But from what ive heard at 2000 affection those 200 credit gifts affects will be cut in half. Not sure if that means that the Rank 2 will be of full affect up till 4000 affection, havent been able to test it out really.

Technically its cheaper to get gifts via the missions. The only problem is, that u cant really control what gifts u will get, then u have to make a list of who likes what gifts.

Shurato
12.19.2011 , 10:57 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by FallenDrow View Post
Hey all,

So let's just say Corso does not exactly agree with all my choices...

Can anyone tell me what's to stop me from buying a hundred of those 200 credit gifts on the gift vendor and increasing my companion's affection? Do gifts suffer from diminishing returns? I'll try a few when I get back on but was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up Diplomacy, grab the extra dark side points, and stock up on some gifts before I drop it for my crafting profession later on (currently heavy gathering).
Well, let's see if I can take these in order ...
  • Nothing stopping you except storage, time and money. If you have 'em, use 'em any way you want.
  • Some diminishing returns, there is a cooldown period between gifts.
  • Not completely sure where the Diplomacy thing fits in, darkside points aren't hard to come by and Diplomacy is hardly the only Mission skill that gives companion gifts.

Obbu
12.19.2011 , 11:43 PM | #5
By the time you reach 8000/10000 affection, the rank 1 gifts rated as 'loved' by your companion will be giving 6 affection each. 3 for liked, and so on.

Yes, you can buy a whole heap: but your better off buying the higher rank gifts, or just questing as the rating climbs.

Bartz
12.20.2011 , 12:18 AM | #6
Some companions don't even accept gifts, how can i raise C2-N2's affection?
Jedi Consular-Shadow-Infiltrator

rsay
12.21.2011 , 06:29 PM | #7
What does Rank 1 mean? I bought a gift and gave it to my person and it did nothing but Rank 1 is in red. Do I need to get more affection before buying a gift?