Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need an oppinion on a madness/darkness hybrid build

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Assassin
Need an oppinion on a madness/darkness hybrid build

randylm
11.05.2012 , 07:37 PM | #1
I'm thinking about creating an assassin and using this build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIbckbZZf0fRrbko.2

I'd use the darkness charge as my saber charge and mostly focus on dps gear. I'm not looking to tank and I'd be using this for pve dps. I like the idea of having a higher than normal survivability and plenty of self heals similar to my jedi watchman. Thoughts?

Edit: Newer build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIbckr0zfcZZf0fo.2

MasterFeign
11.05.2012 , 10:14 PM | #2
As long as you have a competent healer and are not soloing much. You might as well go up a full tree for DPS (madness or deception). With that being said, among other things, with your perceived playstyle, putting one in dark ward would be utterly useless to you.

Rynis
11.05.2012 , 11:41 PM | #3
To clear up some things you're confused about...

When you're in dark charge your discharge will not put a dot on the target, you have to be in lightning charge.

With no discharge dot, you get no raze proc which means you have to cast crushing darkness.

Alternatively, if you ran with lightning charge you would not be able to benefit from energize or the 10% heal from hollow.

It was a good idea on a spec but unfortunately it won't be effective because of the charge restrictions.

Sorry for the bad news but I hope you find a spec that works for you!

cycao
11.06.2012 , 07:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rynis View Post
To clear up some things you're confused about...

When you're in dark charge your discharge will not put a dot on the target, you have to be in lightning charge.

With no discharge dot, you get no raze proc which means you have to cast crushing darkness.

Alternatively, if you ran with lightning charge you would not be able to benefit from energize or the 10% heal from hollow.

It was a good idea on a spec but unfortunately it won't be effective because of the charge restrictions.

Sorry for the bad news but I hope you find a spec that works for you!
This, you should be running dark charge which means their should not be a point in raze.

Eternalnight
11.06.2012 , 09:57 AM | #5
I hope this guy is not serious.
Quote: Originally Posted by randylm View Post
I'd use the darkness charge as my saber charge and mostly focus on dps gear. I'm not looking to tank and I'd be using this for pve dps.
Using dark charge while doing pve dps would mean that you constantly draw aggro to yourself, making it impossible for the actual tank to do his job.
Especially if someone runs in dps gear and dark charge they will outthreat the tank for sure.

That is really bad idea.

randylm
11.06.2012 , 10:01 AM | #6
Hmm.....I made some more changes to the build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIbckr0zfcZZf0fo.2

To me it just seems like death field is more useful than wither. Thoughts?

Eternalnight
11.06.2012 , 10:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by randylm View Post
seems like death field is more useful than wither
It isn't.
Not worth really using at all without points higher up in the madness tree.

And what do you suppose to do with a build like that?

You still can't use it for pve dps as you said you would in the opening post as there is a lot of stuff in that tree that would not work without dark charge and you simply can't use dark charge in doing PVE dps.

Running in dps gear and dark charge turned on would mean that you will get aggro to yourself all the time, making it impossible for the actual tank to do his job.

If you insist on running in dark charge while "doing dps" you will most likely get kicked out of most groups you join.

randylm
11.06.2012 , 11:49 AM | #8
Hmm....so there is really no way to make a hybrid that has the best of both worlds. Ok as far as tanking goes, is it viable to use this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIbckr0kfsZZf0r.2 and gear up similar to a dps in order to do higher damage than normal as a tank (off tank I guess) Basically I want high survivability without hitting too softly. Keep in mind I'm asking about this more to see if there is a viably means to make something like that work.

RendValor
11.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #9
If you want PvE DPS go full Madness and grab Exploit Weakness, Dark Embrace and Charge Mastery
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five