Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help with TOR on windows 8

Synbane
11.06.2012 , 08:37 AM | #21
Windows 8 sucks anyways.

tindin
11.06.2012 , 11:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by kethrill View Post
launcher works fine, download as well.

when i click on PLAY the first wait screen should come up and NOTHING. checked to ensure all programs are run as ADMIN(swtor.exe, launcher.exe), DirectX 9 stuff, running in compatibility mode. and I don't have the old windows7 to redo. so has anyone fixed this problem or knows how?

for the record I do like windows 8, I just need a solution.
so when you click play nothing happens right? as in the launcher just stays on the play screen?

that has nothing to do with windows 8 but with how the launcher is looking for files, usley from just moving folders around and not installing the game. try puting the game folder on your desktop and run repair launcher and see if that fixes.

Decell
11.06.2012 , 11:20 AM | #23
I installed 8 from 7 this week and have only had issues with vent, TOR runs fine, if not a little faster. The usual slow in load screen I did not notice with 8. Sounds like you may be missing something or you need to re-install from scratch.
CE Edition Owner

May the Fourth be with you!

Wartitans
11.06.2012 , 11:22 AM | #24
As far as windows 8 goes, I was fully using it myself a few days ago.

Memory leaks seem to be worse on it as do client crashes with no error message.... however if you are still certain you want it to work can you give us a little more info please such as your computer spec?

I ran into several issues myself, first one was software (java, NET Framework, directx, graphics drivers, SSD drivers inc controllers)
second one was the installation had to be in admin mode too, not just the launch, then third the nvidia drivers currently have issues if you use any settings other than 'applicationg controlled'.

After all this when the game did eventually come on, it set my graphics to the very low setting on 800x600 resolution as standard. It might be worth seeing if you can manually change the settings file to your old settings although I have no idea where the file is located I am afraid.
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” - Abraham Lincoln

Gawlron
11.06.2012 , 11:25 AM | #25
I haven't had any issues running SWTOR and Windows 8 Pro. I have been running Windows 8 Pro since it was released on MSDN. Are you running the latest drivers from NVidia or AMD? The NVidia drivers 306.97 are WDDM 1.2 and WHQL, I'm positive that AMD has 1.2/WHQL drivers also.

I did however just reimage my machine, so I'll post back if I have similar issues.
CE VIP
Emotion, yet peace; Ignorance, yet knowledge; Passion, yet serenity; Chaos, yet harmony; Death, yet the Force.

waterdaemon
11.06.2012 , 11:37 AM | #26
There isn't enough info here for someone to take a swag at the perfect fix. It's likely something you need (GPU, chipset, SATA controller...) is running off of drivers that aren't 100% compatible. I can only suggest you look at two things: go get the latest drivers, and 2, look at your event log for any errors that were logged at the exact time the game failed to launch. Paste the error ID and description into google and 9 times out of 10 you will find info from people who have had the same problem. You may also want to 'repair' your SWTOR installation.

TieJu
11.06.2012 , 11:40 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kethrill View Post
launcher works fine, download as well.

when i click on PLAY the first wait screen should come up and NOTHING. checked to ensure all programs are run as ADMIN(swtor.exe, launcher.exe), DirectX 9 stuff, running in compatibility mode. and I don't have the old windows7 to redo. so has anyone fixed this problem or knows how?

for the record I do like windows 8, I just need a solution.
You should take a look at the launcher log. My play button didn't worked after os reinstall. In my case the launcher was unable to download the dx9 redist, but only reported this on the log.
And after i found the cause at the log, the fix was easy, installed the dx9 redist manually and the launcher stopped trying to load the dx9 redist and the play button worked again.

waterdaemon
11.06.2012 , 11:43 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Synbane View Post
Windows 8 sucks anyways.
Well, you make a very good argument. The again, after forcing myself to use it for a few days I'm beginning to appreciate that it's faster and leaner for everyday tasks. SWTOR runs so smoothly I wish they offered the option of an HD texture pack. I've got FPS to burn even at max settings.

Rafaman
11.06.2012 , 11:55 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TieJu View Post
You should take a look at the launcher log. My play button didn't worked after os reinstall. In my case the launcher was unable to download the dx9 redist, but only reported this on the log.
And after i found the cause at the log, the fix was easy, installed the dx9 redist manually and the launcher stopped trying to load the dx9 redist and the play button worked again.
Good call. I don't currently run Win 8, but in the past with similar issues I have found not only game logs but OS log files, usually in the root directory, that tell me what failed or at least what was loading when there was a failure.

Since you are not getting an error message I think the exectuable or threads are running and something is interfering with that. Check task manager and see what else is running concurrently with TOR.

Another thing. It very well could be a firewall or antivirus not letting the executable run. Turn off everything but the bare essentials and see if that will work.

One last thing... keep in mind... this is all speculation as at this point as we are flaying away trying to help, but there are a couple of cache files in C:\Users\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor. You might try and delete them, run launcher again and repair. It could be a corrupted cache. Deleting cache files is not a huge risk, but it is a risk. So.. take it for what is worth.

Good luck OP and keep us posted. If I run into anything that I think well help I will post it here.

Yndras
11.06.2012 , 03:49 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Yeh, one of first things I did was to create an exception for SWTOR/launcher thru the windows firewall/defender.

Didn't help much.

Are you running in compatbility mode for any distro?
Turn firewall off completely. On all profiles. Home, Work, etc.

see if that makes a difference.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary