Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher has stopped working

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Launcher has stopped working
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Koios
11.05.2012 , 01:13 AM | #1
Hello,

It's been 5 days now that I get the frame of the launcher window and then the message "Laucher has stopped working" appears. Following this, everything closes down and I am unable to play.

I just upgraded to windows 8pro x64 . Right after the upgrade from w7, everything was working fine so I do not believe this is related.

The only thing I did that may be related is to disable some start-up programs. (to accelerate the boot-up time)

what I tried so far:
- Re-enabling the disabled start-up programs.
- Run the launcher in compatibility mode xp sp3 as administrator
- Run the launcher in compatibility mode windows 7 as administrator
- Delete patch folder and patch.version files / load fixlauncher.exe
- Renamed the current installation folder with the extension _test and Downloaded a new setup.exe to start a fresh installation. (the launcher fails to launch as well)
- flush the DNS with cmd window.
- installed the latest version of Java.

so far, no improvement.

could that be related to a program the launcher is using that cannot be accessed? (Java?)

thanks for helping out.
Squadron 238 - β tester

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 01:25 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Koios,

Thanks for contacting us.

Please can you provide us with your reliability report, you can get this by following the steps below.
  • Open your Start menu and type "reliability monitor" into the search box.
  • Select the most recent 'launcher.exe_SWTOR Launcher' failure, denoted by the red circle with the white X in it.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
Please post the full information of the reliability history within [code][/code] or [spoiler][/spoiler] tags

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Koios
11.05.2012 , 01:36 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings Koios,

Thanks for contacting us.

Please can you provide us with your reliability report, you can get this by following the steps below.
  • Open your Start menu and type "reliability monitor" into the search box.
  • Select the most recent 'launcher.exe_SWTOR Launcher' failure, denoted by the red circle with the white X in it.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
Please post the full information of the reliability history within [code][/code] or [spoiler][/spoiler] tags

Hi,

see below if this is the information you need:

Spoiler
Squadron 238 - β tester

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 01:54 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thanks for the report Koios,

Please ensure that you have the latest Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features. This could be a reason for the launcher acting in this way.

Koios
11.05.2012 , 02:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Thanks for the report Koios,

Please ensure that you have the latest Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features. This could be a reason for the launcher acting in this way.

Hi,

I just checked and all updates (including optional ones) are installed.
Squadron 238 - β tester

Obadhai
11.05.2012 , 09:23 AM | #6
I have tried everything on every thread and still can not even get my launcher to run. It shows up in Task Manager and then just goes away.

I've run the fixlauncher tool, deleted all the files recommended from another thread, ran in safe mode yadda yadda yadda and still nothing.

Everything is up to date system-wide.
now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

HMFK
11.05.2012 , 11:22 AM | #7
I too had not been able to reliably play the game in weeks due to numerous launcher issues. My problems (including 'Reliability Monitor' dumps were nearly identical to the OPs, in that the launcher would crash pretty much as soon as it was launched. This was in addition to seeing the dreaded 'Main Assets 87' hanging problem described elsewhere. I also recently upgraded to Win8 Pro from Win7 (in hopes that it would specifically fix this problem) and was frustrated when I wasn't seeing an improvement. I don't want to get anyone else's hopes up, but here is what I did...maybe it will help out:

1. Initiated 'clean' re-install of digital version using the SWTOR_setup.exe file downloaded from this site. ( This subsequently FAILED due to the Main Assets 87 hanging problem. )
2. Followed the manual patch/version file deletion process, as described in numerous other threads.
3. Ran Fixlauncher.exe (verified crashing behavior again)
4. This time, ran the launcher with Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode box CHECKED and with 'Run as Administrator' UNCHECKED. (this immediately fixed the launcher crash issue and allowed the game to complete installation.)
5. Actually logged into the game (woot!), but encountered stange loading screen crashes when attemtping to log into some of my characters.
6. Re-ran launcher and observed the initial crash behavior again. (/tableflip)
7. Ran the launcher with Compatibility Mode box UNCHECKED and 'Run as Administator' CHECKED. (this again immediately resolved the crashing behavior.)
8. From launcher, manually initiated 'Repair' to find that several files needed to be updated.
9. Successfully logged into the game!! (verified this morning after several hours)

Based on my experience, Steps 4 and 7 were the ones that actually seemed to work around the problem. I don't know if the full re-install is even necessary, but I did it just to be safe. It seems like the SWTOR_setup.exe version of launcher prefers one set of options, and the fully patched version prefers another.

NOTE: I'm not 100% sure if this worked in isolation. I have also set exclusions for AV and Firewall (Bitdefender) in addition to ensuring all GPU, Mobo, Ethernet drivers were up to date. I installed both the 32-bit AND 64-bit version of Java (just to be safe). For the record, my computer was running Steam at the time, and also has very slight OC settings in effect. It does not seem to make a difference between this standard environment and running in 'Safety Mode'.

deucexmachina
11.05.2012 , 01:46 PM | #8
I too had this problem happen to me with a dump crash to screen and the inability to log due to:

"The patcher service is temporarily unavailable, Please visit our forums for the most recent announcements available".

When I tried to check the forums by link and other means it was inaccessible.

I got on after a day or so and was promptly notified by CS that because I was logged on "there is no problem".

TY for such wondrous and courteous service and responses
Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Obadhai
11.05.2012 , 03:17 PM | #9
HMFK,

I did all of those this morning and still ... No Launcher at all. Even in Safe mode w/ networking. I'm ready to say F the subscription and go to the FTP because this is now the 3rd time I've re-installed the game to try to fix a problem that they don't seem to want to help fix
now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Bronholz
11.05.2012 , 03:51 PM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi all,

Thanks for checking that for me Koios.

Please can you all make sure that you have updated your drivers for your Chipset and Graphics cards since you upgraded to Windows 8. Having the older drivers could be conflicting with the launcher, causing it not to load.

deucexmachina,

Please can you try (if you have not already, re-downloading the setup files from here. Please also make sure your drivers are up to date.