Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why take anything but gathering skills while leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why take anything but gathering skills while leveling?

Kurugi
11.04.2012 , 11:05 PM | #1
Seriously. You don't have to worry about money at all for anything. Not only can you easily afford all speeder training but you also have enough credits to keep yourself up to date in terms of all mods/gear, and not just the parts you can craft (e.g. as Artifice I can keep myself updated with hilts/enhancements/focuses, but anything else I have to buy myself or scrape together commendations for), and you don't have to deal with waiting for companions to come back from crafting/missions only to RE and not learn the schematic you want, you can just buy it instantly and not care because you have more money than you know what to do with anyway.

The only possible downside is not being able to find what you need on the GTN (say you need a resolve hilt 8 but nobody is selling any), but that's minor since you can just wait a couple levels and look for the next tier.

And if at 50 you do want to get into crafting you can just make sure you take the gathering profession associated with the skill you want to use and drop the other 2 for it.

Really, why level as anything but pure profit crew skills?

cisme
11.04.2012 , 11:35 PM | #2
...Because slicing is the only skill that gets you money if you aren't making stuff

Ognajd
11.04.2012 , 11:47 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
Really, why level as anything but pure profit crew skills?
Because we can? It's not that hard. Nor affording speeders and training with only two gathering profs. Seriously.

Kurugi
11.05.2012 , 12:07 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ognajd View Post
Because we can? It's not that hard. Nor affording speeders and training with only two gathering profs. Seriously.
I didn't say it was hard, I said it didn't make any sense.

Option 1: Level using a production profession - be able to keep whatever that skill crafts up to date (most useful if you go with synthweaving/armormech/cybertech since they affect the most amount of gear slots), have less overall money due to using up most of your materials instead of selling them.

Option 2: Level using all gathering professions - be able to keep EVERY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT up to date due to having loads of cash, and not just what you can craft for yourself, and still have way more cash left over.

I've leveled characters both ways, through actual crafting and through pure gathering. My gatherer was able to keep himself MUCH more updated gear wise (myself and companion) with MUCH less of a hassle overall.

If you like actually crafting while leveling because you find it fun, that's great. I'm not talking about this from a FUN perspective though, I'm talking about it in terms of pure EFFECTIVENESS.

TheNevet
11.05.2012 , 01:51 AM | #5
Effectiveness? A 50 for each crew skill. Some more 50s that are slicers.

Kurugi
11.05.2012 , 01:56 AM | #6
You realize I wasn't originally being sarcastic, I was legitimately asking for a serious reason why it would be better to take a crafting skill while leveling instead of just gathering everything and selling it all. I guess my tone was taken the wrong way and people decided to take offense and get snobby.

TheNevet
11.05.2012 , 01:58 AM | #7
...I wasn't being sarcastic either.

Kurugi
11.05.2012 , 02:13 AM | #8
I was more referring to the people earlier who responded.

Rereading my OP I came off a bit more of a ******** than I intended. I really just wanted someone to give me a reason or two why leveling a crafting profession has more benefit than just focusing on making money.

The only reason I can think of to take a crafting profession is to craft things for yourself, but how is that better than just buying the very same thing off the GTN, especially if you still end up with more money anyway by just focusing on selling mats?

TheNevet
11.05.2012 , 02:19 AM | #9
Because you make a lot more money in endgame than you do while leveling. Having crafting skills leveled allows you to RE campaign, black hole, war hero, etc. Then you can sell BoE versions of the items.

Helig
11.05.2012 , 02:32 AM | #10
Biochem works during levelling. Love the endless supply of medpacks and buffs. Slicing is definitely a must for a levelling character in my book.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie