Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Romance Double-Standard

redhuntinghat
11.04.2012 , 07:11 PM | #1
Not to sound like a crazy person, but has anyone noticed that males can romance pretty much any female alien yet females can't romance anyone except Jorgan?

I mean being unable to romance Broon or Blizz is understandable, but why no Gault, or Zenith (as I've heard but am not sure on this one), or Rusk, or Scourge? Gault sure as hell seems more human-like than that Togruta, Ashara, yet he's off limits? And most of all, female Twi'lek Vette is romanceable yet male Twi'lek Zenith is not.

Which is strange, because [minus Jorgan] you can't play as a human female and romance alien men, you can play as an alien man and romance a human female. And conversely, you can play as an alien male and romance an alien female, but you can't play as an alien female and romance a male alien.

Is it just me or does this kind of feel like a double standard? Do you guys think what I've said has any truth to it, or do you think I'm just looking into things too much?

BrainlessWhale
11.04.2012 , 07:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by redhuntinghat View Post
Not to sound like a crazy person, but has anyone noticed that males can romance pretty much any female alien yet females can't romance anyone except Jorgan?

I mean being unable to romance Broon or Blizz is understandable, but why no Gault, or Zenith (as I've heard but am not sure on this one), or Rusk, or Scourge? Gault sure as hell seems more human-like than that Togruta, Ashara, yet he's off limits? And most of all, female Twi'lek Vette is romanceable yet male Twi'lek Zenith is not.

Which is strange, because [minus Jorgan] you can't play as a human female and romance alien men, you can play as an alien man and romance a human female. And conversely, you can play as an alien male and romance an alien female, but you can't play as an alien female and romance a male alien.

Is it just me or does this kind of feel like a double standard? Do you guys think what I've said has any truth to it, or do you think I'm just looking into things too much?
Who cares.

redhuntinghat
11.04.2012 , 07:20 PM | #3
Well I mean it limits your gameplay possibilities. On my female Jedi Knight instead of getting 3 romanceable companions I only get one, which isn't the WORST thing considering that many classes don't have more than one option, but it still feels like a double standard.

Stncold
11.04.2012 , 07:34 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by redhuntinghat View Post
Well I mean it limits your gameplay possibilities. On my female Jedi Knight instead of getting 3 romanceable companions I only get one, which isn't the WORST thing considering that many classes don't have more than one option, but it still feels like a double standard.
To be fair, Doc is one of the better romances. JK's got it really good on both sides whereas most classes have it really bad on one side. Hell Consulars and Agents get shafted hard on both sides, which is especially bad because female Consulars and Male Agents both have two options and they all suck.
RIP The Fatman.

bahdasz
11.04.2012 , 07:34 PM | #5
Each character only gets one romance choice, except maybe Sith Warrior, but even then once you choose one the other one is done with you. I don't see any disparity, I really don't.

As for flirting, my BH is a female and the whole time I was grinding her up to 50 she was a straight up slizut, so it's not like females don't get the conversation choices.

darthstinji
11.04.2012 , 07:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainlessWhale View Post
Who cares.

This!

Evgen
11.04.2012 , 08:03 PM | #7
Actually there is a maximum of 2 romance options for any class/gender.
And none of them are the non-human faced aliens.

Except for the Male Bountey Hunter Blizz romance . . . everyone knew Blizz is a girl, right?
Academy Exemplar - Begeren Colony (formerly Gav Daragon)
Rhyn Lor - 50 Scoundrel Reizz - 50 Guardian (Vyn) A'sara - 50 Sorcerer
The Lor Legacy

RazielHex
11.04.2012 , 08:07 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
Each character only gets one romance choice, except maybe Sith Warrior, but even then once you choose one the other one is done with you. I don't see any disparity, I really don't.
Two Romantic Companions:
Male Sith Warrior (Darkside Jaesa / Vette)
Male Imperial Agent (Kaliyo / ENS Temple)
Male Smuggler (Akavi Spar / Risha)

Ailie
11.04.2012 , 08:20 PM | #9
Consulars kinda of have two but you can only initially flirt with Tharan.

It really doesn't surprise me though

Sarfux
11.04.2012 , 08:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainlessWhale View Post
Who cares.
Also this. I hope OP isn't offended by this now.
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums