Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, did I do the right thing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So, did I do the right thing?

UGLYMRJ
11.05.2012 , 11:36 AM | #21
Every WZ is situational.... if you felt that you could hold the node longer by staying in stealth because you didn't feel as if the 2 of you could win the fight. Then yes... you did the right thing. Simple as that...

The longer you're holding the node the better. The better stealth players in this game are good at stringing people along and delaying caps for excessive amounts of time. It's not always about killing a target. I always LOL when a stealther jumps out of stealth and attacks me immediately when I go after a node solo. It's pretty much an express ticket for me to cap the node. That guys pretty much always gonna die before help gets there.

Philastra
11.05.2012 , 11:55 AM | #22
Ugly is right they are situational, but I wouldnt sweat it, the fact you actually have a thought out tattic and at least try to defend the objectives puts you light years ahead of the crowd. So if you thought it was the right thing to do, then i'll bet it was.
It only takes one candle to scare away the dark, or just hire a Bounty Hunter....

pqgarvis
11.05.2012 , 12:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Novarre coast, defending grass on my scrapper, actually answered a call for 1 inc that became 2. I stayed stealth and watched my teammate die. Mezzed and kept the 2 from capping while my teammate is complaining about me just standing there as he 1v2ed. Then did not come back because of that. I held the 2 off thinking he would be back, and a 3rd came when I realized he wasn't coming. 3 was too much.

Earlier in the match, I had done the same thing and eventually the 2 attackers, died as I waited until I saw my fresh teammate (different guy) come flying in fresh health when the 2 attackers had not had a chance to recover; so I don't know. Dude was pretty mad.
mmm...There are a few different type of Scoundrel players (assuming your dps). If your confident in your ability the correct answer should have been ganking the initial attacker, as you stated the 2nd lagged into the encounter. If you lack confidence (skill and knowledge) then sitting in stealth and watching (while waiting for cooldowns) would be the correct response.

I don't want that response to sound demeaning if it comes across that way, scoundrel dps is burst and unexpected, not understanding how to burst a target correctly or reacting to additional opponents regardless of cooldowns is something that is learned.

I understand you are level 30, and the opponents were 40ish. Assuming that someone will beat you just based on level isn't always true, unless you have prior knowledge of engaging them to understand how they play and well you already know how good you are in general against most classes.

Technohic
11.05.2012 , 12:42 PM | #24
I should clarify on the call of 1 inc and then 2. It wasn't that the first one was engaged when the 2nd showed up. The 1st one was visibly approaching, then a 2nd was spotted right after. Following maybe 20m behind, before any engagement.

Not to justify what I did or didn't do. I suppose it is other opportunities maybe that I could have gone out and mezzed one of the attackers before they got in range. I think I feel I could have done something differently, just not sure I would next time. Like has been said, I could see it being very situational. I just wil have to get a feel for when to hold them and when to fold them.

Thinking about it, and getting in line with the mindset I usually see; I should blame the rest of the team. 2 of us at the node, and they presumably have at least 1 guarding snow along with 2-3 attacking grass, that is 4 or 5 defending mid. *** were those other 6 guys on our team doing?

paul_preib
11.05.2012 , 01:23 PM | #25
As has been mentioned there really is no single right answer, it falls to the situation and array of events at hand. If you felt the odds were not on your side's favor to where it was <50% of the two of you coming out ahead in the fight, then I'd say you did the right thing.

If you felt it was close to a 50/50 shot then its a judgement call. I'd probably have opened up to join the fight personally, but cannot fault you for being cautious.

I would (not sure if you did) say in chat (since you'd have a few seconds while waiting in stealth) what you are planning so you pre-emptively tell your intentions. He'd still likely be irked, but up front reasoning that way sounds better then after-the-fact that some people take as just coming up with a reasoning to sound better.

That said if you were holding a single node the whole match and things were going poorly I'd probably also be more inclined to gamble then play it safe I think, if I'm gonna lose might as well go down swingin'.
Cyperian -- Sorceror Cyterian-- Sentinel Cyrellian-- Trooper Cyprian-- Sage
Cylerian-- Scoundrel Kyrellian-- Sniper
Of the Bloodborne and Deargna-Fhuil Legacies

JP_Legatus
11.05.2012 , 06:48 PM | #26
If you fight and die you lose the node.
If you wait and hold until the help comes you don't lose the node.

Antipodes
11.05.2012 , 07:30 PM | #27
I would jump in if it's 2v2. At worst, you leave one of them alive while you and your teammate get back quicker due to the closer spawn (not sure what base "grass" is on Novare).

If you are outnumbered, then let your teammate die while calling for help.

Technohic
11.05.2012 , 08:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
I would jump in if it's 2v2. At worst, you leave one of them alive while you and your teammate get back quicker due to the closer spawn (not sure base "grass" is on Novare).

If you are outnumbered, then let your teammate die while calling for help.
Holy crap! Thats been like that the entire time and I didn't realize. Meant Civil War.

Antipodes
11.05.2012 , 08:25 PM | #29
Holy crap! Thats been like that the entire time and I didn't realize. Meant Civil War.
CW changes things, and like others said, it depends on how much health your teammates starts the fight at vs the other two players.

If he joined you with 80%-100% health, I would just engage. You have the advantage since respawning with the side speeders are so fast.

You can also screw up and get "sap" capped after your partner dies. Better to get in combat and use respawns to your advantage.

Arkerus
11.05.2012 , 08:51 PM | #30
Civil War, defending grass on my scrapper, actually answered a call for 1 inc that became 2. I stayed stealth and watched my teammate die. Mezzed and kept the 2 from capping while my teammate is complaining about me just standing there as he 1v2ed. Then did not come back because of that. I held the 2 off thinking he would be back, and a 3rd came when I realized he wasn't coming. 3 was too much.

Earlier in the match, I had done the same thing and eventually the 2 attackers, died as I waited until I saw my fresh teammate (different guy) come flying in fresh health when the 2 attackers had not had a chance to recover; so I don't know. Dude was pretty mad.
Considering you have fairly high burst potential, especially coming out of stealth, you should have helped.

The second reason being that you two most likely would NOT have died at the same time, giving at least one person the chance to ride the speeder back while the other kept them busy.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY