Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting Started in RP?

Gaeriel_Averrod
11.04.2012 , 03:21 AM | #1
I'm new to MMO's in general, so I've really just started to get the hang of things like general codes of conduct and how to actually be useful in a group. I have not, to this point, done any RPing, but I chose this server because I knew that it was something I wanted to try in the future. I'm not totally new to RP (just RP in an MMO setting). I played some D&D with friends in high school, which was a great time, and we still do every once in awhile when we have enough of the old crew together. By the end, we had a pretty established set of adventurers who had been together for a long time--we fell in love with dwarven lumberjacks in backwater towns, we fought with each other, we dealt with the deaths of beloved NPCs (as well as two long term partners in crime), we burned down no fewer than seven breweries, and, of course, we crawled through dungeons and slayed dragons. We only played a couple times a month, but I miss having that RP experience. I'd like to find a little bit of that somewhere again, and my hope is that I could find it here.

What I'm really asking, is how does RP work in the MMO world (or at least on this server in this MMO)? Do people tend to establish a regular group with characters that get to know each other? Is Cantina RP pretty much what's out there? If you approach a group of RPers you don't know, is that bad internet etiquette? Do people tend to RP a new character every night, or are these fairly established back stories? To get involved in a long term RP do I have to join a guild? Is that a big time commitment? Is there opportunity out there to RP through some Heroics and Flashpoints? (because nothing brings people together like killing something really, really big.) From players who have done both, how different is the RP experience online from RP in a D&D setting? Are there any specific tips for making the transition?

Sorry about all the questions, but I am way outside my RP comfort zone--which pretty much involves a group of dudes I've known since middle school, a table, some Mountain Dew (and/or beer), some Doritos, and a whole bunch of dice. I'm trying to figure out how all this works, so any tips/info I can get would be much appreciated!

Listerman
11.04.2012 , 10:10 AM | #2
RPing in an MMO is a lot simpler than you're probably thinking. It's primarily the use of emotes to express your character to other players, and speaking not as you, yourself, but as your character.

The number one rule, though, of SWTOR RP is...never take your class story as your character story, because sure you can say you're Darth Baras's apprentice, but so am I...so is she, and any other Sith Warrior you meet. See the dilemma?
Most create a separate entity from their class story, or alter it to fit their needs.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

Venarive
11.05.2012 , 01:50 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaeriel_Averrod View Post
I
What I'm really asking, is how does RP work in the MMO world (or at least on this server in this MMO)? Do people tend to establish a regular group with characters that get to know each other? Is Cantina RP pretty much what's out there? If you approach a group of RPers you don't know, is that bad internet etiquette? Do people tend to RP a new character every night, or are these fairly established back stories? To get involved in a long term RP do I have to join a guild? Is that a big time commitment? Is there opportunity out there to RP through some Heroics and Flashpoints? (because nothing brings people together like killing something really, really big.) From players who have done both, how different is the RP experience online from RP in a D&D setting? Are there any specific tips for making the transition?

RP can work in many different ways in MMOs. All will involve saying things as your character and making custom emotes by using /em but beyond that are many variations.

For some, cantina rp is the way to go.

Others like to have a GM who comes up with a story, takes you to a planet, describes the situation and you are, eg. a bunch of troopers carrying out an op on the streets of Corellia. (This is the most similar to tabletop scenarios.)

Others live the story every moment in-character (barring the Class lines which are duplicated for all of us so are awkward to bring in to rp).

Some will rp through some of the Flashpoints, Heroics, quests with others. Of course do check out beforehand that your fellow players are happy with this. I have had a couple of memorable Esseles and Black Talon runs all rped out.

RP guilds provide a skeleton on which to hang your story and those that use guildchat as an IC commchannel let you have day-to-day roleplay on that channel while you are away from each other.

Similarly there is the /rp channel and a few other created channels which provide an outlet for in-character chatter.

In all (excepting the case of a scenario with a GM creating a story), do make sure that you give as well as take. Let others have their moment in the spotlight and don't do emotes that dictate what happens to their characters, rather create open emotes, eg. Shoots at x (not shoots at x and wounds their arm, for example). Likewise don't let others ride roughshod over you. With no GM around, a few folks are inclined to push their way, their story above anyone else's.

If a group is roleplaying in public and you are interested in joining in, toss out an emote or two as a potential hook, or if it does seem appropriate for your character to stroll in and join them right away then go for it. Just remember that any IC rudeness from those interrupted is not OOC rejection of yourself as a player . If you want to, send one of the players an OOC whisper beforehand to ask.

Most people have a backstory, and it is considered bad form to keep on changing your character as that is highly confusing for everyone. Start an alt if you think of an interesting new concept you want to try out.

Longterm rp is easier with a guild but not impossible without.

Invicta (my guild) has been around for several years, uniting committed rpers and those new to MMO rp or rp in any form. If you are interested, come along to one of our events.
We hold a neutral party on Nar Shaddaa northern barge on the lower promenade every Thursday at 9pm, open to all on the server.
And if you have an Imperial character then you can join in on our Tuesday night IC datacron and world boss hunt., a different planet each week, starting from Imperial Fleet at 9pm.

As for time commitments, they vary. Here is one example, Invicta:
All we ask as a guild is that you stay IC when in /say and use ( ) if you want to be OOC in guildchat, and that you log in at least once every 15 days. Most of us are on every day but the time you wish to commit is entirely up to you. Longterm rp is easier with a guild but not impossible without.

Gaeriel_Averrod
11.08.2012 , 02:06 AM | #4
Thanks for the info, Venarive! I may just end up on Nar Shaddaa tomorrow night. The tip about not taking control is a good one--without a GM I could see where policing that sort of thing could turn into an issue. Again, thanks for the response, I appreciate all the good information!

Strazzen
11.08.2012 , 09:53 AM | #5
Yes, thank you , all of you. First for the Question , then for the thoughtful and thorough answers. I have found , being on the Hawk now for over 9 months, that most Cantina RP tends to be either 1 of 3 types. Either , A> Is a guild gathering of 2-7 players that are elitist scum that think anyone else trying to join is a noob B> Is a Drama King / Queen who wants to be the center of attention and demands it by God-Modding (Having Divine like or impossible powers/abilities) , or just generally being a Donkey's Butt , or C> Conversations beginning with "You come here often?" and ending with "We can go back to my Captains Cabin on my ship ? (This is a classic sign of Adult Chat about to take place. Also called ERP) .

The first 2 are nowhere near as common as the last one , but happen often enough that I had to mention them. I too played D&D for years (Well, decades actually) and a whole list of other RPG's, both Table Top & Game Console/Computer. I also want from this game more than just the basic storyline and game mechanics . I figure since I pay 6 months at a time and have no plans to take advantage of Free to Play, I'm here for the Long Haul. I had wanted to start my own guild with some friends and others that had similar ideas , wants, and needs . Main thing was we all wanted to have mission-like "Stories within a Story" . Like was mentioned earlier , a guild and it's GM Setting up a scenario for a group of Troopers / SIth (whatever) and then monitoring it to see if they accomplish their separate task. But like anyone else , I do not wish to Reinvent the wheel. If a guild already exists that does this kind of thing on a very regular basis (2/week+) then I would just want to join said guild and integrate myself and my friends within their structure. I know some of my friends are enamoured with the idea of a new guild that is "Our Own Guild", but I also know from other friends just how hard it is to be a Guild Master and how much work it is as well. I'm a disabled Veteran , so I do have a lot , and I mean a lot of free time. But I also have spells where the pain gets so bad I'm down & out for days at a time as well.

So now my questions are simple. 1> Is there / Is your guilds set up like that where you do Guild sponsored side missions /guild missions at least twice a week or more (not counting the nar Shaddaa thing) ?? If not, have you heard / Do you know of any guild , Imperial or Republic that does this ?? I heard the guild called "The Faceless" does do something like this on a very regular basis , but I have not been able to find any of them. I also know that the guild on the Republic side "The Lost Order" is a great guild, bit is focused on PvE , & FP / Op's, mostly the Op's . Especially the Hard Mode Op's and various Flash Points . There is very little if not absolutely no RP in this guild ( if there is any , I have not seen it in 8 months) . 2> If your guilds do not do this , or that often, or if your guilds are not present on both sides of the conflict , would you be willing to help / assist a new Guild Master in getting things up & running ? We / I have the 600k for an initial Guild Bank Vault already saved, but I do not know what the 2nd vault costs. Nor do I know how to set up Vent / Team Speak or a guild web page. I have a buddy would works for a living in IT & Networking , but hate to ask him for his help if it is simple enough that I could do it myself. 3> Even if you have nothing to offer for the first 2 questions , would your guilds be willing to have / host cross guild / cross faction events. ?? Like a team of Operatives & snipers going into Tatooine or Nar Shaddaa and do 'Long Range Recon-Surveillance" of a Republic target ? ? Something where another player would play the part of "The Target" and the GM would watch & judge how things go . I have not only played RPG 's for decades, I have Game Mastered them as well, since I was a teen-ager many moons ago.

Any other ideas / suggestions / thoughts are always welcome and appreciated . Feel free to message me ingame via whisper , or Mail to any of my main characters of my legacy. Thanks for your time and Be Well .

Strazzen / Reada / Vil'leah / Jiin'do Wright
The Wright Legacy

"The only thing that has ever mattered in Battle & War is
'The W' .
Winning is not everything , it is the only thing. "