Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stun Wars - your stun count per game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stun Wars - your stun count per game

Kynesis
11.04.2012 , 01:28 AM | #1
The stun-fest that is ToR PvP is complete and utter garbage and it's been like this for far too long; it's infamous across the gaming world - you've lost boat-loads of players and frankly if my preference were PvP, I'd be completely and utterly out of patience.
As it is I only try an occasional game here & there because it so often is simply an exercise in frustration.

The public face of PvP so far has been Gabe and he seems like a nice enough guy, it'd be a shame if all this negativity had to focus solely on him, on the other hand he is supposedly in charge.

To help the poor, overworked hamsters at BW I propose that people start posting the frequency with which they're stunned each game - BW should be able to produce the stats themselves, whenever they want; The only way I believe we'll see any action on this issue is if we keep talking about it.

If not a count of the number of times your stunned per game, rate ToR PvP on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 incredibly frustrating / bad to 10 being flawless.

Mournblood
11.04.2012 , 02:04 AM | #2
What I would love to see is a video of someone in a WZ match that displays the total time of the match from start to finish (not counting time spent respawning) - something like a stopwatch that starts when the match begins, pauses during respawns, and stops at the conclusion of the match - and a running cumulative time tally of the time they spend CC'd during that match. A match like Voidstar would be ideal, since fights are focused in specific hotspots and there tends to be a lot more CC flying around there, especially for a melee class. At the end of the video we would see the total elapsed time they were active in the fight compared to the total time they were CC'd during that match.

I'm betting we would see some sobering, yet interesting results.

Brool
11.04.2012 , 02:12 AM | #3
I find myself stunned about 15% of the time.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Kesica
11.04.2012 , 02:14 AM | #4
I agree

I dont see how any normal person could enjoy PvP with all the stuns.

Jenzali
11.04.2012 , 02:31 AM | #5
In rated warzones the stuns tend to be used far more judiciously and almost always with objectives in mind. Experienced and coordinated players tend to save them for the most crucial circumstances. In this circumstance I find the CCs are perfectly balanced, with the possible exception of "Bubble stun" being usable on an entire team. Burst focus fire coordinated with voice chat is so powerful that a lot of the time they don't even need their target to be stunned to kill it, and in fact the stun would be a waste of a global cooldown which could otherwise be a 5k rail shot or something

Part of this reason is the knowledge that a white-barred Merc healer is literally an unstoppable god for 15 seconds due to being uninterruptable and un-CCable. So to prevent this case they do not use any stuns when bursting me down, instead leaving my resolve bar empty, and then when I am finally required to pop my shield I get hit immediately with a Force choke and either a) use my CC breaker and get re-stunned immediately, or b) hope the other healers are covering me and are not CC'ed, otherwise die. So in this case saving your stun until the crucial moment was very wise.

However, in normal warzones it's an entirely different story. Oodles of people use their CCs for no logical reason - most of them use it as their opening move when their target is at full health. I've seen stealthed Assassns open from stealth with Electrocute (I guess they don't know about their from-stealth knockdown?) and stealthed Scoundrels open from stealth with Dirty Kick. It's no wonder these same people are complaining about not being able to kill healers - because they stun them right off the bat and when the healer's health is finally low enough to be in danger of dying, they have no CC tools left. When I heal in unranked warzones versus these inexperienced players, my character spends most of his time convulsing helplessly under the effects of stun after stun (which sometimes generate 0 resolve), but still they seem unable to kill me because they have no idea how to do anything other than stun.

Also it's something of a meta-game to chain-CC individual people to make them react emotionally. I do this on my Gunslinger sometimes to annoy people and make them act irrationally and ignore objectives as they tunnel vision and try to kill you the whole match.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

ThuaThal
11.04.2012 , 03:00 AM | #6
Thing is, you don't really have to use your stuns tactically, the resolve bar disappears so fast that it doesn't matter. All you have to do is to wait juuuust a little bit to reapply the stun, for the resolve bar to dip enough that it doesn't turn white.
ToFN - Order of Midnight

Raxna 55 Juggernaut - Raxnaa 55 Guardian

SyphonSith
11.04.2012 , 03:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
In rated warzones the stuns tend to be used far more judiciously and almost always with objectives in mind. Experienced and coordinated players tend to save them for the most crucial circumstances. In this circumstance I find the CCs are perfectly balanced, with the possible exception of "Bubble stun" being usable on an entire team. Burst focus fire coordinated with voice chat is so powerful that a lot of the time they don't even need their target to be stunned to kill it, and in fact the stun would be a waste of a global cooldown which could otherwise be a 5k rail shot or something

Part of this reason is the knowledge that a white-barred Merc healer is literally an unstoppable god for 15 seconds due to being uninterruptable and un-CCable. So to prevent this case they do not use any stuns when bursting me down, instead leaving my resolve bar empty, and then when I am finally required to pop my shield I get hit immediately with a Force choke and either a) use my CC breaker and get re-stunned immediately, or b) hope the other healers are covering me and are not CC'ed, otherwise die. So in this case saving your stun until the crucial moment was very wise.

However, in normal warzones it's an entirely different story. Oodles of people use their CCs for no logical reason - most of them use it as their opening move when their target is at full health. I've seen stealthed Assassns open from stealth with Electrocute (I guess they don't know about their from-stealth knockdown?) and stealthed Scoundrels open from stealth with Dirty Kick. It's no wonder these same people are complaining about not being able to kill healers - because they stun them right off the bat and when the healer's health is finally low enough to be in danger of dying, they have no CC tools left. When I heal in unranked warzones versus these inexperienced players, my character spends most of his time convulsing helplessly under the effects of stun after stun (which sometimes generate 0 resolve), but still they seem unable to kill me because they have no idea how to do anything other than stun.

Also it's something of a meta-game to chain-CC individual people to make them react emotionally. I do this on my Gunslinger sometimes to annoy people and make them act irrationally and ignore objectives as they tunnel vision and try to kill you the whole match.
^^^ I agree with you completely. Ranked matches seem to go much smoother and are more enjoyable due good players not just spamming their stuns constantly. But the fact is, ranked is almost non existent. There's only 1-2 teams running at a time if none at all. If there's three, you spend 20 mins on fleet waiting for the que to pop, if your team is getting beat, you loose players left and right and spend anther 20 mins replacing him with a decent player. Allot of the time it's just not worth the hassle to do ranked unless you have many hours to waste.

Helig
11.04.2012 , 03:43 AM | #8
I personally thing that stun-like mechanics (hard CC during which the player can be burnt down without a chance to retaliate) is an outdated mechanic.

Mezes are fine (they break on damage), so are slows and roots, but stuns need to be replaced by "disables", which basically lock *all* of your offensive skills, and root you, but enable you to use your defenses.

Completely losing control of your character on a regular basis, even for short amounts of time, is not fun, period.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Conser
11.04.2012 , 12:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Brool View Post
I find myself stunned about 15% of the time.
about 50-60% for me

DarthSabreth
11.04.2012 , 12:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kynesis View Post
The stun-fest that is ToR PvP is complete and utter garbage and it's been like this for far too long; it's infamous across the gaming world - you've lost boat-loads of players and frankly if my preference were PvP, I'd be completely and utterly out of patience.
As it is I only try an occasional game here & there because it so often is simply an exercise in frustration.

The public face of PvP so far has been Gabe and he seems like a nice enough guy, it'd be a shame if all this negativity had to focus solely on him, on the other hand he is supposedly in charge.

To help the poor, overworked hamsters at BW I propose that people start posting the frequency with which they're stunned each game - BW should be able to produce the stats themselves, whenever they want; The only way I believe we'll see any action on this issue is if we keep talking about it.

If not a count of the number of times your stunned per game, rate ToR PvP on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 incredibly frustrating / bad to 10 being flawless.
I actually like thes idea of showing how many times you were cced in the game at the end of the match, Personally i really didnt mind the CC's that much pre 1.4, but right now they are just out of control. Sad thing is, BW spent money making it this way and they will likely never work on fixing the cc's in this game. CC'c in my opinion should be used for two things, 1. capping a node, and 2. getting away. as it stands right now people uses cc's so casually, that it has no repercusions for doing so. people should be like it was pre 1.4, punished for spamming cc's. not the other way around, rewarded for spamming cc's.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .