Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark or Light

cool_kid
11.03.2012 , 06:43 PM | #1
What is more "fun", going dark side or light side with a smuggler? I'm starting a smuggler and I was wondering which side was more "smugglerish" than the other. Thanks in advance!

Anysao
11.03.2012 , 08:36 PM | #2
My smuggler is actually entirely neutral, for extra challenge; can't use relics. I'm currently at 1000 light side points, and 1050 dark side points. It is a lot of fun, I always pick the choice that involves credits or revenge.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

Stenrik
11.04.2012 , 12:47 AM | #3
Yeah I'd say neutral is the best way to go. Just come up with a consistent "code of honor" for your character so it doesn't feel too arbitrary. For example, you can decide you don't want to kill anybody unless you have no choice, but you'd gladly commit "white collar DS Points" such as selling information to the enemy, because credits are your Achilles heel.
Or come up with a different soft spot, such as the opposite sex/chauvinism. If you play a male smuggler, you could find yourself always going light side when there are women at the other end of your blaster. But you don't mind icing a male because "it's just business" and "he probably deserved it anyway." You can be more charming and choose more light-sounding responses when talking with women as well. (I think it would be interesting to play this route as a female smuggler who tends to go LS to males and DS to other females...)

There's nothing inherently wrong with going all out LS or DS, but it really doesn't fit with smuggler's persona. All out dark side makes you wonder "what happened in my life to make me hate others so much?" Because smugglers are known for needing "people skills" for their lifestyles, being a psycho who hates everyone doesn't really seem to fit. Smugglers get their social power from the contacts they have, and "friends" in all the spaceports. Like Guss often says "I know a guy." I just don't see an all out dark side smuggler having a lot of these "friends."

LS smuggler works OK, I guess. It fits when your character says something "charming" but not when they seem too soldier-like "Yes sir, right away sir." Too much "sure I help you, why not?" type of responses would make one wonder why you didn't just say those things when someone offered you a legit job in your past.