[10.11.12] World pvp event - "The arms race"

Whiteprince

Fellow republicans, the senate is calling out for your help! During some recent research on the planet Belsavis our scientists has discovered a lost tomb and inside it what appears to be an ancient technology built to create the most deadly machines the world ever seen.

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/8817/thedooro.jpg

For further investigation the Republic has established the research base near the entrance of that tomb.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2605/belsaviseventv3.jpg

Unfortunately Imperial Intelligence found out our plans and recently the imperial forces under command of a vicious Darth Purplemuffin took over our base.

So now we ask you to join our special ops group lead by one of our brightest commander, General Light’storm, to strike back and drive all imperials away!

Hello everyone! My name is Igor and I still represent guild “MVPs” on the TOFN server.

As you already might have guessed this next World PVP Event is going to take place on Belsavis.

Date & Time:

Saturday 10th 18.00 CET

Event Starts at 18.00 and ends at 19.30 CET (Central European Time)

Event will be held on Belsavis in High Security Section

Here http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5592/belsavisevent1.jpg

GAME RULES:

In order to win each fraction has to bring their faction’s commander (Light’storm for Republic and Purplemuffin for Empire) into the main facility http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5251/belsaviseventv4.jpg ,

place him in this area right behind the entrance http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7509/belsaviseventv2.jpg

and drive enemy faction’s commander (preferably by eliminating him) from that area.

Once those conditions are met your faction will starts to receive points (1 min = 1point).

If your commander dies or the enemy’s commander enters the area your team will stop getting points.

Imperial forces starts the game inside the base as if they had control over it.

Republic forces will be gathering at the Republic Watchtower Outpost in High Security Section and begin to advance towards the “Research base” at 17:55 CET.

Republic ops group will be created by I'gor. Empire ops - by Ushuma.

Please, come at least 15 min before official beginning of the event to create ops groups.

Edited by Whiteprince

Hello Igor,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to organize these events. I don't know if I will be able to attend, but it is good to have the option.

That being said, however, I think it is highly likely the event will be similar to previous one, where the faction with the higher numbers will dominate shortly. If the numbers do not change, it will be rinse and repeat a few rounds and the event may end prematurely. It is an entirely difficult beast to balance this issue.

I think, for future events, instead of a single capture point, it would be better to have multiple capture points with a bit of distance between them. This way, the groups will be forced to divide and there will be less of a zerg on a single area.

As an example, if there were 5 points to capture and hold, depending on how groups divide, the total number would have less of an impact. Moreover, if you change the scoring system such that capturing a point offers more points than holding it it would encourage the smaller faction to hit and run to get more points and the bigger faction to communicate better and intercept the other faction. Also, if capturing a point has diminishing returns when you already have other points belonging to you, that too will take the advantage away from the numbers.

As an example:

Let's say there are 5 places of interest to capture and hold. Capturing each is 5 points (I am just making up these numbers), and holding it afterwards grants 1 point per minute. However, if you already capture a place, the next place gives you half the points (rounded up). So, the next place you capture when the other one already belongs to you give you 3 points. The 3rd place give you 2 points, and then capturing anymore after that gives you 1 point. This way, the faction with the higher numbers will have the upper hand when they want to get 1 place, but for more places they will have to divide up. Depending on how many groups they divide into, the other faction (the one with less people in it) will have a chance to hit and run and capture the places with least resistance, grab some points and stay on the run.

Of course, deciding how you define you keep a place could require some definition. Just like how you did now, maybe you can have multiple leaders and if this leader is in a place of interest you can call it is taken. Until a leader from opposing faction comes to there, it belongs to the faction who placed a leader there first.

I don't know, this is just an idea, I am sure there can be other solutions to make up in order to balance the difference in numbers in either faction. In any case, thanks for keeping these events up.