Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The problem with the fps is when I'm around other players.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
The problem with the fps is when I'm around other players.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LostScot
11.16.2012 , 06:56 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by sbjessen View Post
It's a well-known fact that this game is hard on the CPU. BioWare has said that these problems occur due to low-end PC specs.. Even though your computer should run this game just fine, the only way you can get rid of the FPS problems are by upgrading your CPU.

I've seen lots of strange fixes with RAM-disks, running in XP mode etc. which people claim to work. But the only solution I know to work is by upgrading your PC specs.
Nonsense. I have an AMD Phenom II 720 and playing SWTOR barely uses more than 10% per core. In fact prior to patch 1.4 the game was more CPU-intensive.

On the other hand since patch 1.4 GPU utilisation has rocketed, whereas previously I was always maxxed out at 100fps with roughly 30% utilisation per graphics card, now the game incurs almost 100% utilisation of a single GPU and suffers from huge framerate drops when I'm on the fleet or in a busy area. This computer was able to cope absolutely fine in all scenarios prior to 1.4's release. Oh and I'm not talking top of the line all-singing all-dancing GPUs either, I have 2 BFG Radeon 4770 cards in CrossFireX so hardly phenomenal hardware. Really frustrating to have a system that performs fantastically until patch 1.4 came out and since then no indication that the problems introduced are going to be fixed.

LostScot
11.16.2012 , 07:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings All,

There are a number of steps that can be taken to improve performance. Firstly, please turn off shadows and bloom and hit Apply, then reactivate these and Apply again.

Please go through the following items, testing the game performance after each:
  • Set shadows to off.
  • Turn nameplate scaling off.
  • Turn off Ambient Occlusion in your video card control panel if you are an nvidia user.
  • Delete DiskCacheArena which is by default found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
  • Delete client_settings which is by default found in the settings folder at C:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\local\SWTOR\swtor\
    When you get in-game, set your graphics options to your preferences.
  • Ensure your power plan is set to high performance in control panel, power options. This is especially important for laptop users.
  • Perform a Clean boot of Windows 7/Vista. or Windows XP.
  • Perform a clean install of latest non-beta video driver.

Thank you for your continuing patience regarding this issue.
Shadows turned off - check.
Nameplate scaling turned off - check.
Ambient occlusion not applicable since my GPUs are AMD-based.
Cache file already deleted multiple times - check.
Client settings file already deleted multiple times - check.
Power options set to high performance in Control Panel - check.
Clean boot - seriously? My computer runs Win7SP1 and has 32 active processes after a regular boot. I can't get the number of active processes lower than that. Compared to most people's WinVista/7 computers I've got as clean as it gets at boot time without going into safe mode.
Latest official release graphics drivers uninstalled then reinstalled - check.

I've been through all of this nonsense multiple times. Bioware please just admit that something went funky with the introduction of patch 1.4 instead of attempting to place the blame elsewhere.

Edit: The reason other MMOs are so popular is because they run well on a wide variety of hardware. If you want examples of MMOs that failed because of poor performance on most hardware then go take a look at Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, or Fallen Earth, both of which failed miserably because most people couldn't play those games at an acceptable level of performance. If Bioware seriously wants large subscriber/free-to-play numbers then the issues with performance need to be dealt with first and foremost. There's a reason why a certain other mmo has 10 million subscribers - it runs on most hardware with great performance.

OwenBrooks
11.16.2012 , 07:11 PM | #23
This known Nvidia bug may be affecting some people, worth checking at the very least.

[PhysX]: After installing the driver, occasionally the PhysX processor selection in the
NVIDIA Control Panel is set to CPU instead of AutoSelect (Recommended), resulting
in PhysX games running slowly. [1049752]
To correct this, set the PhysX processor to Auto Select (Recommended).

LostScot
11.16.2012 , 07:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
This known Nvidia bug may be affecting some people, worth checking at the very least.

[PhysX]: After installing the driver, occasionally the PhysX processor selection in the
NVIDIA Control Panel is set to CPU instead of AutoSelect (Recommended), resulting
in PhysX games running slowly. [1049752]
To correct this, set the PhysX processor to Auto Select (Recommended).
Definitely a good recommendation though not sure if it will help with this game since according to previous developer posts SWTOR doesn't use PhysX but instead uses its own proprietary physics implementation.