Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm confused about this Assualt Nerf

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
I'm confused about this Assualt Nerf

Mutsie
11.20.2012 , 04:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TipsyDrow View Post
Vanguards are not melee, nor are the ranged. They are a hybrid of sorts. 10m's is our optimum range only closing to 4 to stockstrike and gut then back to 10m's. You can strafe away to 30 to deliver sticky grenades,assault plastique, and HIB's but then it's back to 10m's. Vanguards are very mobile. Most of the attacks are instant. So really with a vanguard you should be always moving between 30-4 m's depending on the situation.
Doesn't assault plastique have a 10m range?

Anyway, the VG is still awesome. You can strafe/kite melee players and burn them down in pvp. Pve is even more easy cause of the predictable mechanics of mobs. If you don't like it play a real ranged type, like GS, commando or operative.

Jerro
12.07.2012 , 02:20 PM | #22
Quote:
You want a better gap closer? That's fine. Then lets also reduce the range on High Impact Bolt to 10 meters for Vanguards, the range on Ion Pulse to 4 meters, and lower the damage Plasma Cell does by 15%. There, now you're balanced with the other melee DPS classes in the game.
if you dont fight in the 4m range allready u are doing it wrong.

wetslampigduex
12.07.2012 , 02:35 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerro View Post
if you dont fight in the 4m range allready u are doing it wrong.
what he said^... the nerf wasn't really a nerf they just did something to shut the QQ'ers up. You should always have been in melee range as it was now you have to. I used to get pst all the time while looking for a ranged dps by PT's and i don't know how many raged on me when i told them if they were playing the class right they should be in melee range.

Mastershroom
12.11.2012 , 03:57 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mutsie View Post
If you don't like it play a real ranged type, like [...] operative.
lolwut

Operative/Scoundrel is a melee class. Just like VG/PT, sure you have your 30m basic attack, but the majority of your damage abilities are 4-10m.

Cryowolf
12.11.2012 , 05:21 PM | #25
if you don't fight in the 4m range already, you are doing it wrong.
Optimally for Assault, you only want to be in 4m range when you are about to StockStrike, which should only be when you are wanting to reset your HIB. Otherwise, you should be attempting to maintain your distance at 10m to avoid those poor guys with the 4m range.
Raisins--Scoundrel--The Harbinger

DarthRaika
12.12.2012 , 07:20 PM | #26
lol assault 4m range guy. I guess you premade with a pocket healer. If you pug against premades then you want to often be outside of melee range. If you do this effectively you will do much better.

Jerro
12.14.2012 , 10:21 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryowolf View Post
Optimally for Assault, you only want to be in 4m range when you are about to StockStrike, which should only be when you are wanting to reset your HIB. Otherwise, you should be attempting to maintain your distance at 10m to avoid those poor guys with the 4m range.
there are other classes then melee, that might need an interupt, a neural surge as well you know. then you need to stay in their face. running in and out of 4m range might look optimal in theory, but once you are in 4m range try to get out of it.

Jerro
12.14.2012 , 10:25 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
lol assault 4m range guy. I guess you premade with a pocket healer. If you pug against premades then you want to often be outside of melee range. If you do this effectively you will do much better.
assume much do we, sorry i pug most of my time in warzones, since i find premades really boring both facing them and join one of my own. even if you stay at 5-10m range against one warrior/Knight there will be Another flying against you from somewhere else anyway

Cryowolf
12.15.2012 , 11:08 AM | #29
there are other classes then melee, that might need an interupt, a neural surge as well you know. then you need to stay in their face. running in and out of 4m range might look optimal in theory, but once you are in 4m range try to get out of it.
I was generalizing for some overall quick advice, so you bring up a good point about interrupts.

We have 4 interrupt skills, only one of which requires 4m:
Riot Strike - 4m range
Neural Surge - 8m range
Cryo Grenade - 10m range
Harpoon - 10m (minimum) range

Also if it is a ranged dps we are fighting, we have a 5th interrupt called LoS, which is often easier to achieve if you are further away from them when they start casting. Another reason why positioning is so important.

Running in and out of the 4m range is not just optimal in theory, it is also optimal in practice. Is it tough to do? Of course. Snares and stuns abound and you can't always pull it off. Does it make a difference when you are able to pull it off? Absolutely.

Assault is a squishy spec and we have to do our best to stay alive. We have one strong defensive CD in Reactive Shield and one weak one in Adrenaline Rush. Positioning and range dancing is one you have to figure out for yourself, but it will make a bigger overall difference to your survivabliity than either of those CDs. Time spent in respawn is time spent doing 0 damage. Train as you fight, fight as you train.
Raisins--Scoundrel--The Harbinger

Jerro
12.16.2012 , 06:45 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryowolf View Post
I was generalizing for some overall quick advice, so you bring up a good point about interrupts.

We have 4 interrupt skills, only one of which requires 4m:
Riot Strike - 4m range
Neural Surge - 8m range
Cryo Grenade - 10m range
Harpoon - 10m (minimum) range

Also if it is a ranged dps we are fighting, we have a 5th interrupt called LoS, which is often easier to achieve if you are further away from them when they start casting. Another reason why positioning is so important.

Running in and out of the 4m range is not just optimal in theory, it is also optimal in practice. Is it tough to do? Of course. Snares and stuns abound and you can't always pull it off. Does it make a difference when you are able to pull it off? Absolutely.

Assault is a squishy spec and we have to do our best to stay alive. We have one strong defensive CD in Reactive Shield and one weak one in Adrenaline Rush. Positioning and range dancing is one you have to figure out for yourself, but it will make a bigger overall difference to your survivabliity than either of those CDs. Time spent in respawn is time spent doing 0 damage. Train as you fight, fight as you train.
well then i better roll on harbinger to see it myself