Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I'm confused about this Assualt Nerf

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
I'm confused about this Assualt Nerf

Nydar's Avatar


Nydar
11.12.2012 , 11:32 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Rykko View Post
Why does nobody ever think being able to pull people to you is a gap closer?
Because charge is more reliable and not effected by resolve. There are LOS issues that are kinda buggy with poon, that don't effect charge as much, even if they corner you, if it goes off you're going to get to where they were.

I haven't found the netf to be too odious in the sub 50 bracket, and tend to fight inside the 4m. Although I use my range stuff as I close, which is better than my jugg could do. I feel the nerf was laughable considering marauders didn't get a nerf and continue to get buffs, but at the end of the day it wasn't a killer

And one on one I still have my way with most classes, only a marauder with all his cool downs and vanish thingie up pose a problem, and even they aren't that big of an issue for me if i have cool downs and WZ stims up.

With all that said I haven't played my 50PT, i moved servers and rerolled so I have no idea how things are doing in the 50 bracket and ranked.

Nydar's Avatar


Nydar
11.12.2012 , 11:33 AM | #12
They should switch grapple with charge, meaning make grapple the one you have to spec into. With our new range limitations it is more equitable.

Rassuro's Avatar


Rassuro
11.13.2012 , 01:12 AM | #13
Yes Harpoon is in many cases less effective as a DPS gap closer than Storm, however is there any reason to think that this is not intended?

As was already pointed out, out of the melee classes, Vanguards are easily the ones who are the best at range.
If Vanguards can both do top damage at melee range, very good within 10 m and still pretty good from up to 30 meter (a lot more damage than any other ranged class), while having a gap closer that's equal to the best gap closers in the game (in my opinion), doesn't that make it kind of overpowered?
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

Nydar's Avatar


Nydar
11.13.2012 , 11:23 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rassuro View Post
Yes Harpoon is in many cases less effective as a DPS gap closer than Storm, however is there any reason to think that this is not intended?

As was already pointed out, out of the melee classes, Vanguards are easily the ones who are the best at range.
If Vanguards can both do top damage at melee range, very good within 10 m and still pretty good from up to 30 meter (a lot more damage than any other ranged class), while having a gap closer that's equal to the best gap closers in the game (in my opinion), doesn't that make it kind of overpowered?
What you say makes sense until I think of Marauders and how silly OP they are. Or how the "smash" classes have almost made our dps obsolete by way of comparison.

Mozivicus's Avatar


Mozivicus
11.13.2012 , 02:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rykko View Post
Why does nobody ever think being able to pull people to you is a gap closer?
Because I can't pull The Writhing Horror to me with harpoon. Because I can't pull karraga to me so I can get into my intended attack range as fast as other classes.

<in my best Napolean Dynamite voice> Why does everyone not think there's PvE in this game? Gawsh

MonsAlpha's Avatar


MonsAlpha
11.16.2012 , 02:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DJ_Viron View Post
Why exactly did this have to happen? Because it really feels like they may as well just give me a sword now with the god awful range of the vanguard. Seriously what was the logic behind this? It's not like they nerfed it for the comm either, just for Vanguards and powertechs.

If you think I'm joking let me be clear:

I'm not joking about this,

100% serious stuff here.


Someone explain, what the [expletive] happened?
Like...you're seriously complaining about the range? I still get top damage in every single warzone and every raid group I'm in. Wanna know how? I use the same five abilities as I did before lol. I never played it as a range class because it isn't one.
Kalena
<LF Love in Alderaan Places>

CarverX's Avatar


CarverX
11.17.2012 , 01:38 PM | #17
You know... I got on my VG last night who was once one of my top toons and it's just ...sad. He just stunk after 1.3 and I haven't played him in months whereas in pvp he used to be the bomb, top ranked, now he can't do much of anything. At least my powertech has flamethrower skills that are far more useful after the nerf. This class really got screwed. Waste of one of my coolest guys. They need to fix this already.
The Shadowlands

wadecounty's Avatar


wadecounty
11.18.2012 , 08:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mozivicus View Post
Because I can't pull The Writhing Horror to me with harpoon. Because I can't pull karraga to me so I can get into my intended attack range as fast as other classes.

<in my best Napolean Dynamite voice> Why does everyone not think there's PvE in this game? Gawsh
What. The. <expletive deleted>.

Vanguard/Powertech DPS is the highest in the game right now in PvE, even with this "nerf". So bringing PVE into the equation makes absolutely no sense. If you play a Vanguard or Powertech, spec Pyro/Assault, and aren't at the top of every damage meter, you're doing it wrong.

You want a better gap closer? That's fine. Then lets also reduce the range on High Impact Bolt to 10 meters for Vanguards, the range on Ion Pulse to 4 meters, and lower the damage Plasma Cell does by 15%. There, now you're balanced with the other melee DPS classes in the game.

(this is coming from someone who has a Vanguard, but prefers not to spec Assault because of how maddeningly easy and overpowered it is)

swifferdude's Avatar


swifferdude
11.18.2012 , 04:55 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydar View Post
They should switch grapple with charge, meaning make grapple the one you have to spec into. With our new range limitations it is more equitable.
that would make the tank vanguard "leap" thing useless if its an ability that all vanguards get though... personally, I dont really think it made THAT big of a difference really...
POT5 PvP
My Youtube channel: GrassianGaming
I play a variety of classes! Check it out, like, and sub!

Mozivicus's Avatar


Mozivicus
11.19.2012 , 02:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
What. The. <expletive deleted>.

Vanguard/Powertech DPS is the highest in the game right now in PvE, even with this "nerf". So bringing PVE into the equation makes absolutely no sense. If you play a Vanguard or Powertech, spec Pyro/Assault, and aren't at the top of every damage meter, you're doing it wrong.

You want a better gap closer? That's fine. Then lets also reduce the range on High Impact Bolt to 10 meters for Vanguards, the range on Ion Pulse to 4 meters, and lower the damage Plasma Cell does by 15%. There, now you're balanced with the other melee DPS classes in the game.

(this is coming from someone who has a Vanguard, but prefers not to spec Assault because of how maddeningly easy and overpowered it is)
Actually, if you're a vanguard topping the DPS meter in PvE, I'd say the sentinels you're grouped with are doing it wrong.

The point is, other melee classes have a way to put themselves in melee range (quickly or unnoticed), whereas vanguards do not