Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

Captain_Zone
11.04.2012 , 02:01 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by DaWaffle View Post
I'm personally hoping that they use it as an oppurtunity to get rid of some of the more outlandish aspects of the EU, eg, the Emperor clones, people tossing around fleets, etc.
The Emperor Clones were actually allowed and endorsed by George Lucas. Dark Empire was one of the best series out there, and the Clones were all destroyed by the time Empire's End was finished.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Captain_Zone
11.04.2012 , 02:06 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
oh so once again I'm right except this time you are finally admitting you are wrong. You are trying to make rationals out of things that aren't canon.

Especially when the cloning processes that Thrawn uses is supposed to be the same one used during the clone wars. I'm starting to think you NEVER read the Thrawn trilogy as you get basic things wrong. As for the Nohgri like I said before there was a battle. AFTER THE BATTLE Darth Vader came down and offfered the EMPERORS help to them.

Now you have to remember the frame of refernce. When this was written all we had was the original trilogy. So all we had was "Anakin fought in the clone wars." and "Darth vader betrayed and joined the Emperor and hunted down the Jedi"
So we have a betrayl by Anakin and him joining the Emperor. Remember we had no idea what the Clone wars were at this time. Not even Lucas really knew. That is why the common thought was the Clone wars were about the Jedi vs the Emperor and his clones. This is evident from reading the Thrawn Trilogy and other sources.

This is why in the Thrawn Trilogy it is stated that the Nohgri are met by Darth Vader and the Emperor after a battle during the clone wars.

Time and time again I have proved you wrong and you just get all mr grumpy pants because you really have no idea whats going on in Star Wars.

I hope you appreciate these lessons as I school you in Star Wars lore.

concession accepted.
Get over yourself. As many times as I've proved you wrong and you STILL won't admit to any of them, I've schooled you WAY more than you think you've schooled me. A very wise man once said "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Time for me to take that advice and stop arguing with you. My worst assumption was that you weren't one. You take George's word and twist it around. YOU decide what George means and what he doesn't. YOU refuse to see COMMON SENSE when it's right in front of your face. I read the Thrawn Trilogy last about 10 years ago. Do YOU remember everything you read 10 years ago? If so, good for you. I am conceding NOTHING to you, dude. I'm just sick of your attitude and you saying "I know what George means and what he doesn't mean". Seriously STOP THINKING YOU'RE GEORGE LUCAS! That's how you come across!
. OPOD

Ninquelen
11.04.2012 , 06:41 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
Why all the doom and gloom when the EU has been specifically stated by Lucas, Chee and others at LA as being in a parallel universe to the movie universe(incluing TCW tv series) for years now? Sometimes the two universes run together as in novelizations of the movies, specific characters and the like, but they are meant to not intrude on each other.
The EU has always been my favorite part of Star Wars. For me, I feel like doom is in the air because I'm worried that Disney might do away with the EU entirely. They might yank the novels and comics and video games off the shelves so that, if we want more Star Wars, we will be forced to read about their EU.

Or that they might try to buy up and destroy books and such from the current EU so that, if they don't completely replace it with theirs, they can make more money by re-releasing them with Disney's logo on them. I hear that's what they did with the original Tron--destroyed all the copies they could get their hands on so they could re-release it and make it cost more.

I realize that I am overreacting, being irrational, and probably vastly exaggerating the lengths Disney will go to in order to make money. But there's a part of me that has Thrawn and Lieutenant Kettch in a death grip, screaming "NOOOOOO!! SOMEBODY WAKE ME UP FROM THIS HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE!!!"

Girdeux
11.04.2012 , 08:01 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
The Emperor Clones were actually allowed and endorsed by George Lucas. Dark Empire was one of the best series out there, and the Clones were all destroyed by the time Empire's End was finished.
Yes he allowed that. Then later says this never happens at all lol...his said before that none of the post-rotj EU is in his vision of what wouldve happened..

Captain_Zone
11.05.2012 , 12:30 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
Yes he allowed that. Then later says this never happens at all lol...his said before that none of the post-rotj EU is in his vision of what wouldve happened..
Yeah, if you take that quote of him saying "It's not how I would have done it" out of context, then you would also have to say that the entire post-RotJ Expanded Universe isn't Canon. It was his point of view on what he would have done if he had written anything after Episode VI. In that same interview, he said that his story was finished when Episode VI ended. Now, Leland Chee has already stated that post-RotJ Expanded Universe material IS C-Canon. When Leland Chee was explaining C-Canon, he said it was the vision of LucasArts and the authors therein that went beyond George's vision. Leland Chee isn't going to go over his boss's head on that, if he values his job. George also said that the storyline in The Force Unleashed and TFU II are G-Canon. Contradictory statements there, considering that the Cloning Process in TFU is exactly the same as the cloning process in the Thrawn Trilogy. Coruscant was named in post-RotJ C-Canon, as well. It became G-Canon when George used the name in the Prequels. The list goes on and on. The point is that you can't take everything George says seriously. That way lies madness.
. OPOD

mefit
11.05.2012 , 01:50 AM | #76
Yeah, if you take that quote of him saying "It's not how I would have done it" out of context, then you would also have to say that the entire post-RotJ Expanded Universe isn't Canon. It was his point of view on what he would have done if he had written anything after Episode VI. In that same interview, he said that his story was finished when Episode VI ended. Now, Leland Chee has already stated that post-RotJ Expanded Universe material IS C-Canon. When Leland Chee was explaining C-Canon, he said it was the vision of LucasArts and the authors therein that went beyond George's vision. Leland Chee isn't going to go over his boss's head on that, if he values his job. George also said that the storyline in The Force Unleashed and TFU II are G-Canon. Contradictory statements there, considering that the Cloning Process in TFU is exactly the same as the cloning process in the Thrawn Trilogy. Coruscant was named in post-RotJ C-Canon, as well. It became G-Canon when George used the name in the Prequels. The list goes on and on. The point is that you can't take everything George says seriously. That way lies madness.
Good thing Leland Chee no longer Answers to Lucas .
G-canon = D-Canon ...............we will have to wait to see what changes will be made EU wise but Disney already stated 1-6 will remain Canon , I suppose the D-Canon as of now.

You can take Lucas quote by quote , its how he wanted it . Lucas made so many Canon layers its retarded , and often belittled the fans and writers . He did it to Protect his main vision and so EU wouldn't impact future Movies or Stories he wished to tell .
Now we will see a more Combined and well advanced StarWars with more editors and possibly with Chee decided Canon ................but that was not said yet . All we know is Chee will remain in his current job title but Kennedy will be his boss now and Disney hers !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Mike_Sierra
11.05.2012 , 01:57 AM | #77
In response to the argument on the cloning, here's something I just got off the wiki:
Quote:
They were built by Spaarti Creations, on the planet Cartao. They seem to have their origins in Khommite cloning technology, which had for a millennium been developed to a level far surpassing that of the rest of the galaxy.
Cloning cylinders were thought to have been destroyed during the Battle of Cartao, but many units survived. The Galactic Republic used Spaarti clones to complement the Kaminoan clone army. At the near end of the Clone Wars, all but a few were unaware that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine had secretly commissioned a second clone army, which differed from the Kamino-bred Fett clones in two primary ways: they were grown to maturity in roughly one year as opposed to ten years, and they were created on Centax-2 instead of Kamino. Omega Squad noticed this, adding to their suspicions about Chancellor Palpatine's intentions. The clone troopers of the 14th Infantry Brigade were among the first generation of Spaarti-grown Fett clones and vanguard of what was to come in Palpatine's New Order.
The spaarti pods are a very different technology from the kaminoan cloning pods, and the republic found and used them. Then palpatine, emperor and all that happened

Girdeux
11.05.2012 , 02:14 AM | #78
Yes but there is no point in talking now about whats canon and what isnt post-rotj. Just have to wait to the movies come out. If its stated Luke never had kids or Mara jade doesnt exist in the movies and dies without kids, it would literally wipe out most of post-rotj EU considering his offspring is relevant in almost every novel continuation.

Just an example really. Same as any reference in the new movies to an event imbetween episode 6-7 that could wipe out most EU imbetween and after. Example being: Luke is old and there has been no threat to the galaxy since Sidious was defeat at Endor and Luke has been training Jedi ever since. Which would mean all pieces of EU imbetween the trilogies have become invalidated

Karkais
11.05.2012 , 05:02 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by lord-durpp View Post
the new trilogy, as stated, could still do this. There is no story beyond legacy (138 ABY). this means that there could be an entire new plot line without pissing off diehard eu fans.

thoughts?
If you ask me, legacy would make a snapping great new trilogy without relying on old characters, save maybe a computer-generated Luke force ghost.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

SNCommand
11.05.2012 , 07:22 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
If you ask me, legacy would make a snapping great new trilogy without relying on old characters, save maybe a computer-generated Luke force ghost.
The completely unlikable characters makes me a bit nervous about using the legacy era
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.