Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 10:56 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
No. alot of people hate what post-rotj EU has done to the franchise..most of the fans that watched the movies dont even have a clue what the EU is anyhow.
The Yuuzhan Vong was where the ExU really went downhill. I wouldn't mind a retcon of that, tbh. Most of the early post-RotJ novels were outstanding, though. It would be a shame to throw all of that out the window. Since George isn't going to be writing, directing, or producing the new Star Wars movies (Thank The Force), give the new movies a D-Canon designation (for Disney Canon - my term which may or may not change when Leland Chee figures out what to do), and have it be its own reality that splits from the current OT/PT/ExU Universe. Then there is no need to retcon anything in the current Star Wars Universe. Instead of having two overlapping universes like we do now, it would be two distinct and separate universes.

OT/PT/ExU
OT/PT/Disney

It's the only way to keep all the fans at least satisfied, if not happy. Hell, it seems the hardest thing in the world is keeping Star Wars fans happy.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Girdeux
11.02.2012 , 04:01 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
The Yuuzhan Vong was where the ExU really went downhill. I wouldn't mind a retcon of that, tbh. Most of the early post-RotJ novels were outstanding, though. It would be a shame to throw all of that out the window. Since George isn't going to be writing, directing, or producing the new Star Wars movies (Thank The Force), give the new movies a D-Canon designation (for Disney Canon - my term which may or may not change when Leland Chee figures out what to do), and have it be its own reality that splits from the current OT/PT/ExU Universe. Then there is no need to retcon anything in the current Star Wars Universe. Instead of having two overlapping universes like we do now, it would be two distinct and separate universes.

OT/PT/ExU
OT/PT/Disney

It's the only way to keep all the fans at least satisfied, if not happy. Hell, it seems the hardest thing in the world is keeping Star Wars fans happy.
Doubt itll happen. ALOT of comics from Pre-ANH were retconned into oblivion when the PT came out. Wont really chance either in this instance imo.

JimG
11.02.2012 , 05:12 PM | #13
I don't think they paid $4 billion for the entire Star Wars franchise to then turn around and start making movies without any characters from the existing SW universe. That's an awful lot just to put the name "Star Wars" in front of some random stories about a bunch of random characters. Also, the head of Disney made it a point in his investor press conference to mention that how big the entire SW universe is and how they were buying the whole thing, not just what was in the first 6 films.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 06:46 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
Doubt itll happen. ALOT of comics from Pre-ANH were retconned into oblivion when the PT came out. Wont really chance either in this instance imo.
even post ROTJ EU stuff was retconned. Lucas never cared about the EU why would Disney? They know changing the EU never hurt sales.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 06:49 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I don't think they paid $4 billion for the entire Star Wars franchise to then turn around and start making movies without any characters from the existing SW universe. That's an awful lot just to put the name "Star Wars" in front of some random stories about a bunch of random characters. Also, the head of Disney made it a point in his investor press conference to mention that how big the entire SW universe is and how they were buying the whole thing, not just what was in the first 6 films.
no of course they won't do that. They will have Luke, Han and Leia at least in episode 7 if not all 3 in minor roles. It's so they give people something familer. However they will be introducing their own characters and then those characters will get their own spin off movies. So in 5 or 10 years we will be getting smaller star wars movies based on individual characters like we do now with the Marvel movies.

So in between say episdoe 8 or 9 we will get 2 or 3 star wars movies based on characters showing what they are doing in between the episdoes.

Sort of like having a Shadows of the Empire movie in between Episode 4 and 5.

Crawelc
11.02.2012 , 06:59 PM | #16
I just want them to retcon everything except the 6 movies. There should be no reason that Disney doesn't go their own direction with movies, comics, t.v. shows or anything else. Im sorry but im old and anything star wars past RoTJ has sucked. Jedi Knight 2 was playable but seriously we need a retcon on anything past EP.6
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

Slowpokeking
11.02.2012 , 07:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
They will go with what would be financially safest route: not abusing the hell out of Luke in the new series could prove very risky. So i believe they will bring back luke one way or another. Which probably means EU (at least the new era) will be changed.
Throw in the current Mark or recast could be a bigger risk.

Let Mark appear in a holocron and make a cameo appearance.

Emperor-Norton
11.02.2012 , 08:00 PM | #18
I would love to see the outrage if the KotOR games were made Non-Canon. I know a lot of people would give up on the Star Wars franchise entirely if that happened.

Wolfninjajedi
11.02.2012 , 08:07 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Sort of like having a Shadows of the Empire movie in between Episode 4 and 5.
Now that is a Star Wars movie, I wouldn't mind seeing. Dash Rendar is an awesome character.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 08:13 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Now that is a Star Wars movie, I wouldn't mind seeing. Dash Rendar is an awesome character.
but you see what i'm saying. It's a much smaller story then say Empire or Return. This is the kind of thing we can expect to see with disney in charge.

They will make the 3 main episodes and then do smaller spin off movies involving only some of the characters. Then those stories will all lead up to the next big trilogy.

Just like what they are doing with Marvel and the Avengers.