Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoints with companions

Revanchis
11.07.2012 , 08:03 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
First, I would love to see a quote that this game is KOTOR 3-11.

Secondly, you missed my point. If they're going to spend more time and effort to retain the people whose sole focus is to play single-player, then that will take resources away from the people who play mmo's for the mmo experience. It's already bad enough that operations are on farm content the first week they come out... so yeah, let's just take away more development from those aspects so that some guy who I will never interact with (cuz he's too busy playing this game like a single player game) can solo FP's more easily.

Wasn't there a big rant by some dev who said that it's the tester's fault that "we" wanted this game more like KOTOR? So the only thing I can see is that in making this game more single player is the reason why this game failed. Here's the link: http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bi...Update-a173317

Specifically the quote:
"“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW)."

So if that article is true and that person is legit, it's the people crying to make this game more solo-friendly that's killing this game.

Please provide me with Developer comments or articles to say it was the MMO in this game that killed it.
Is it really that suprising that people wanted Bioware, the makers of amazing single player RPGs who are well known for crafting amazing stories with great companion interaction, to focus on making a really good story and making this game as good as their previous games. I mean who expected this game to be WoW.

Honestly as I play through this game I'm constantly barraged by all the ways this would have been improved as a single player RPG. Like all the Heroic 4s that require me to stop and look for someone to help, which completely kills my momentum through the story. The companion interaction is bare bones, you spend so much time giving them gifts and saying things they agree with. Companions almost never chime in with anything during the world quests, maybe like one or two lines here and there on an entire planet. Occasionaly you have enough affection and have gotten far enough in the story to get a conversation with them and then it's back to silence. In the other Bioware games you talk to companions after every mission, and most of the companions have their own personal quest you can help them with. Then there's my biggest annoyance, the lack of companion banter. Because we're limited to one companion we never get to hear our companions banter amongst eachother. Like maybe Vette would have something to say about how much of a suck-up Quinn is. Nope, because this is an MMO we can't have any banter or companion lines so that we can have random jacks group up with us.

Lostpenguins
11.07.2012 , 09:36 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
If you want to educate yourself on the matter do so, if not nobody cares. SWTOR devs know they screwed it up badly by cloning WoW and not make.
Who is "their audience"? You? The person who wants this to be the next KOTOR? A single player rpg? Sorry, this game isn't that. Feel free to correct me when you find this game labeled as a single player rpg.

Stop whining. You're not getting what you want.

/thread

GrandMike
11.07.2012 , 01:16 PM | #63
Who is "their audience"? You? The person who wants this to be the next KOTOR? A single player rpg? Sorry, this game isn't that. Feel free to correct me when you find this game labeled as a single player rpg.

Stop whining. You're not getting what you want.

/thread
Ha ha ha ha ha, yah, game is doing wonderful, you use same rethorics as your "predecessors".

To bad that what happened is EXCACTLY what we told them will happen if they do what they did, i have personal satisfaction to say WE were RIGHT and people like you, together with BW and EA were WRONG..

Anyway, the game is awesome, yet noone wants to play it. It reminded me of same line EQ2 dev posted on their forums when it was going F2P, and then proceeded to whine and wonder why noone wants to play "best game evah" rofl. Yah...pure awesomness.To bad nobody wants to pay for such "awesomness".

Enjoy.

Lostpenguins
11.07.2012 , 01:36 PM | #64
Ha ha ha ha ha, yah, game is doing womderful, you use same rethorics as your "predecessors".

To bad that what happened is EXCACTLY what we told them will happen if they do what they did, i have personal satisfaction to say WE were RIGHT and people like you, together with BW and EA were WRONG..

Anyway, the game is awesome, yet noone wants to play it. It reminded me of same line EQ2 dev posted on their forums when it was going F2P, and then proceeded to whine and wonder why noone wants to play "best game evah" rofl. Yah...pure awesomness.To bad nobody wants to pay for such "awesomness".

Enjoy.
Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1. I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game. All single player games I've seen can be beaten in less than a month meaning they would have to come out with KOTOR 4 in a month, KOTOR 5 the next month, etc. What single player RPG can churn out those numbers? And for $15 for each of those (since it's $15 a month and they'd need to have one release every month) what developer would make a profit?

You're the one who needs to get your head out of the clouds if you think that's feasible.

I don't understand how you can pat yourself on the back and say that you were right? I know scores of guilds and people who left because this game wasn't hardcore enough. There are tons of people who are annoyed they spent so much time on voice dialog and focusing so much on the solo experience that they ended up creating operations that are too easy and too quickly over. I'm one of those in that boat. 4 or 5 bosses for an operation that's completed in 1 week and then farmed in an hour or two the following weeks. Are you kidding me?

Keep believing in your pipe dream that turning this MMO into a Single Player RPG will save the day. Good luck with that.

mikebevo
11.07.2012 , 01:43 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
I've already used my tanking companion in several flash points after the tank/s left due to their severe lack of tanking gear. Pvp gear and less health than the healer doesn't get you a very far in hardmode flash points.
Most tanks in HMFP's have less HP than my sawbones.

However, I agree with you, I have used my dps companion more than once to finish a HMFP when the tank quit or DC.

GrandMike
11.07.2012 , 05:33 PM | #66
Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1. I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game. All single player games I've seen can be beaten in less than a month meaning they would have to come out with KOTOR 4 in a month, KOTOR 5 the next month, etc. What single player RPG can churn out those numbers? And for $15 for each of those (since it's $15 a month and they'd need to have one release every month) what developer would make a profit?

You're the one who needs to get your head out of the clouds if you think that's feasible.

I don't understand how you can pat yourself on the back and say that you were right? I know scores of guilds and people who left because this game wasn't hardcore enough. There are tons of people who are annoyed they spent so much time on voice dialog and focusing so much on the solo experience that they ended up creating operations that are too easy and too quickly over. I'm one of those in that boat. 4 or 5 bosses for an operation that's completed in 1 week and then farmed in an hour or two the following weeks. Are you kidding me?

Keep believing in your pipe dream that turning this MMO into a Single Player RPG will save the day. Good luck with that.
You have no clue what im talking about, you have no clue what happened to SWTOR over the years, you have no clue about anything.

Harder operations? Really? That would save the game? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, i havent laughed like this since, well, this morning and "the game is awesome yet noone wants to play it" statement.

You had your game. It tanked. Once and for all people like you have to accept the facts: games you want are dead.

Lostpenguins
11.07.2012 , 05:45 PM | #67
You have no clue what im talking about, you have no clue what happened to SWTOR over the years, you have no clue about anything.

Harder operations? Really? That would save the game? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, i havent laughed like this since, well, this morning and "the game is awesome yet noone wants to play it" statement.

You had your game. It tanked. Once and for all people like you have to accept the facts: games you want are dead.
Um, games that you want are dead. Hence, no KOTOR 3. I think that speaks miles beyond the silly stuff you're spouting.

If BW really wanted to focus on DA3 and KOTOR 3 then there'd be a KOTOR 3 and a DA3.

pan_sObak
11.07.2012 , 11:53 PM | #68
Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1.
plus a lot of people who rolls alts to enjoy instead of post 50s PUGing or dull grinding.

I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game.
Do you know how Starcraft 3 sells?

Nobody said it should be Single Player RPG.
It was said that all of the content should be available to a single player. The whole story.
Not the gear. Grind operations for BIS gear in groups only.

Restriction to content is not the best way to make a community, it is the worst way IMO.

And MMO can live only with community.
Not with munchkin PUGs screwing the story by hitting space to skip dialogues in order to run and fast farm.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 55, Jugg 55, Seer 55, Guns 55, Vang 55, Commando 55

Craft: Bio 450, Cyber 450, Arm 450, Armor 450, Art 450, Syth 450- no use of them!

StarWarsWoox
11.08.2012 , 12:37 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I am cool with that so long as the reward is reduced to reflect the difficulty.
I completely agree with this statement, as fun as it would be, obviously the difficulty would have to be decreased significantly, but the idea still stands and is a very valid idea! I think it would be a blast!
-(Austin) Woox (50 marauder) @ the Harbinger -

GrandMike
11.08.2012 , 04:12 AM | #70
Um, games that you want are dead. Hence, no KOTOR 3. I think that speaks miles beyond the silly stuff you're spouting.

If BW really wanted to focus on DA3 and KOTOR 3 then there'd be a KOTOR 3 and a DA3.
And hence SWTOR is candidate for biggest failure in video game history Thats YOUR game.

You really like going in circles writing nonsense with no arguments whatsoever.

Oh, and btw, BW is making DA3, but you are clueless about that as well. People like you usually are. Clueless.

Quote: Originally Posted by pan_sObak View Post
Not with munchkin PUGs screwing the story by hitting space to skip dialogues in order to run and fast farm.
No story in FPs/OPs after Esseles/Boarding party are direct result of people like him complaining that "all teh story and spacebarring will get in a way of farming instances" Yup. Thats why they only showcased Esseles pre-launch. People were very dissapointed about this when they found out, and majority points Esseles as best instance in SWTOR.

They also said instances would have mulitple ways through them, crew skills would play a great deal, and bosses in FPs/OPs wont be one big guy pounding at group. Guess how that turned out lol.