Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Mission Discovery completely in the tank since 1.4.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Mission Discovery completely in the tank since 1.4.3

CinderBane
11.01.2012 , 02:59 PM | #1
What's up with Slicing Mission Discovery since 1.4.3?

It's been completely in the tank since the patch.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal as less procs would simply increase the value of the missions themselves, but the procs are so low that prices are rapidly climbing the ladder to the point where the cost of the Missions outweigh the benefit the crafters get from them.

Thus, crafters are gonna give up on even buying them if prices go much higher.

This game economy is shaky enough without this added on top...

(Just for perspective, I'm a slicer. I obtain the missions and then sell them to the crafters. I'm NOT a crafter whining that the cost is too high. I just recognize that this is a serious issue. Flame me if you feel the need, but it will fall on deaf ears.)

BTW, I don't really deal with the other crew skills so just wondering if procs from other crew skills have been similarly affected. Inquiring minds want to know...

Baldak
11.01.2012 , 03:08 PM | #2
I agree.

I do slicing missions and use the special mission acquired for my self. I check the prices on the GTN in regards to the special missions and they are outrageous. I simply do not buy them. If others didn't purchase the missions for the outrageous prices, the prices would have to come down.

As far as getting the missions from slicing, I get enough for myself to keep in business. I have three characters maxed out in slicing with max affection on all companions. When I am trying for a specific mission level, I use a companion with a slicing critical bonus.
I'll take the stupid one, who decided to threaten us rather than shoot us
when he had the chance.

Referal Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/c4m6dD

Desolation
11.01.2012 , 03:11 PM | #3
Odd, our server is having the opposite problem on the Ebon Hawk. Missions that usually sell for 20-30k have all dropped to the 8-10K range, some even lower from a sudden market saturation after the patch.
DESOLATION: CONCLAVE
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile

MonkeyCannon
11.01.2012 , 03:18 PM | #4
LOL there are people that try to use crit rewards from slicing as income?!?!

Don't worry about the prices. If the prices remain high, then people are buying them at that price. If no one buys, then the price will go down. Mission discoveries are free anyway.

CinderBane
11.01.2012 , 03:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
Odd, our server is having the opposite problem on the Ebon Hawk. Missions that usually sell for 20-30k have all dropped to the 8-10K range, some even lower from a sudden market saturation after the patch.
Wow. That is VERY strange.

Here on Jedi Covenant it's been the opposite with the higher value missions. They've become so scarce that UW and Scavenging have reached well above 50k. Not coninuously, but enough that it's very strange.

Also, the 300 Diplomacy and 300/340 drops seem to be the same as far as getting them as opposed to others (not saying they've not been affected - just that you still get them more than others, and so their value is still in the tank).

Main concern is the sudden scarcity of missions across the board. I have two slicing toons that I use regularly, and it used to be normal to fill two inventory lines of missions in an 8 hour playing day. Since 1.4.3 hit, I've been doing my normal thing and today - as a great example - one toon has acquired 2 missions, and the other 4. This is a HUGE change.

I wouldn't be so worried if this was a slight adjustment, but this seems to be a drastic change. Going on 10-12 hours played today and only 6 discovery missions from slicing from two different toons combined - well, do the math.

CinderBane
11.01.2012 , 03:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyCannon View Post
LOL there are people that try to use crit rewards from slicing as income?!?!

Don't worry about the prices. If the prices remain high, then people are buying them at that price. If no one buys, then the price will go down. Mission discoveries are free anyway.
I would respond to your post if I could actually figure out what you mean. (Still scratching my head...)

The market is determined by supply and demand, however, if you make a part of the manufacturing process so cost-ineffective (i.e. it costs you more to produce it than you can possibly sell it for) then you simply won't do it.

It isn't a matter of folks not willing to pay the higher prices - it's an effect of paying more to make something that no one will buy at that price. Good analogy, would you pay $30 per mile on a solar vehicle, or $1 per mile for a gas-powered vehicle? Especially if the solar vehicle had a higher initial cost than the gas? (I know this is bordering on the current political situation of the US - I appologize, definitely not my intent - but needed a good example).

Suffice it to say, if the mission procs are now so very low, the cost will go up so high that the folks who use those missions would actually lost money from buying them. End result - folks won't buy, demand will drop to nothing, the providers of said missions will stop investing the time needed to gain those missions, and that portion of the economy will simply collapse.

tacito
11.01.2012 , 05:48 PM | #7
No, if noone buys, someone will undercut the others. If that price is acceptable for crafters, they buy. If not, someone undercuts the undercutter. Until the missions are bought again.

I mean, as a slicer, what would you rather do? List for 10k less than everyone else and sell out in minutes, or list for the market price noone pays and have timed out listings every day?

MonkeyCannon
11.02.2012 , 04:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by CinderBane View Post
I would respond to your post if I could actually figure out what you mean. (Still scratching my head...)

The market is determined by supply and demand, however, if you make a part of the manufacturing process so cost-ineffective (i.e. it costs you more to produce it than you can possibly sell it for) then you simply won't do it.

It isn't a matter of folks not willing to pay the higher prices - it's an effect of paying more to make something that no one will buy at that price. Good analogy, would you pay $30 per mile on a solar vehicle, or $1 per mile for a gas-powered vehicle? Especially if the solar vehicle had a higher initial cost than the gas? (I know this is bordering on the current political situation of the US - I appologize, definitely not my intent - but needed a good example).

Suffice it to say, if the mission procs are now so very low, the cost will go up so high that the folks who use those missions would actually lost money from buying them. End result - folks won't buy, demand will drop to nothing, the providers of said missions will stop investing the time needed to gain those missions, and that portion of the economy will simply collapse.
I'm incredulous that people depend on a steady income of mission discoveries. They are the reward you get when you crit (get lucky and score more mats) slicing missions. They are a crit reward, not an expected reward.

The price on the GTN for these will not go so high that they are consistently over-priced. Since they are crit rewards, you get them for free when you crit on a slicing mission. So you sell them at the current GTN price. If it doesn't sell, you either give it to an alt, guildie, or resell at a lower value.

You shouldn't depend on these as a source of income because you get these missions on a lucky roll. It's like pve-ing and getting an orange or purple loot drop. If you wanted to farm these in the area, you better be willing to spend hours doing so. And you should understand that you are not entitled to get these drops consistently.

CinderBane
11.02.2012 , 08:18 AM | #9
And the trolls are out in full force.

There are many things in the game, including non-economic things, that are dependent on crit chance. Crit chance is very much a part of this game until and unless they completely remove it (which they can as it's their game).

Your premise of "no one should be dependent on crit chance" is completely ludicrous, as it's the ONLY way to obtain these items in the game - there IS no other way.

Further, this thread is NOT - once again for the cheap seats - NOT about me whining that I'm not getting a high enough price for what I sell on the GTN. The market sets the price, I set my prices competetively (it is rare for me to have an item listing expire), and no, I don't gouge or expect folks to pay more than the fair market price.

The purpose of this thread is to try to ascertain whether there was an unintended and significant decrease in the rate - and it's a valid question as it happened once before in a previous patch regarding an unintended lowering of the amount of materials returned by many crew missions.

If you want to troll and complain about people whom you believe set their prices too high (which I've already stated I do NOT) then go start your own thread and stop hyjacking this one.

EDIT: And by all means, go tell players that they should not utilize any gear that increases the crit chance of their class because YOU don't believe that's how the game should be played. See how quickly they laugh you out of the room.

CinderBane
11.02.2012 , 08:24 AM | #10
Back to the "actual" topic.

Has anyone noticed a significant decrease in the crit chance of crew skill missions? I'm just trying to confirm this one way or another...