Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Hall Hood

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Hall Hood
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Costello
11.01.2012 , 05:23 PM | #11
One Question springs to mind having played through a number of different story arcs:

When are choices and decisions made in any of the class/world/flashpoint/operations/PvP/anything going to have an effect on the game world or even the character beyond the two seconds after making the choice and then getting a very basic mail thanking or scorning us.

Now on the most basic level I would have written the story so that if you did all the side quests and all the bonus quests this would play out so you may not have to fight an end boss and it would just move to a cutscene. Take a non game example so as to avoid spoilers, your sith warrior has to invade a republic base. Now you can go up to the front door bash your way in and fight through. Another option is to sneak in, poision the air filtration units, murder the sentries then sneak up on the base commander as they sleep. One is far more juganaut like and one more maurader like but it would have ment the choice mattered.

In the more advanced level saving a captain of a star ship in one of the early flash points would have involved him turning up with a ship to either bombard your enemies or air lift people of the planet. Instead nothing happens, now I appreciate that it can be difficult to decide which play through should be used but then we all have a first play through and when finishing the black talon play through you get a follow on quest from the star port. So its not that hard to run with it.

Spoiler

omNOMNOMinator
11.01.2012 , 05:50 PM | #12
Great photo. Not a very interesting read though to be honest.
Srill - Twi-Lekk Gunslinger
Tomb of Freedom Nadd

Korusus
11.01.2012 , 06:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Alright, here is a question:

In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future? Does this mean that there will be no more Class stories? Will future story updates be designed in a way that multiple classes will overlap and interact in the actual story in some way?

The former question would make me very sad, but the latter would be pretty cool.
I just listened to that interview and that answer is frightening. I don't want all the classes to culminate into one Avenger's style storyline. I can't think of anything that would make me abandon this game faster. I love the fact that each class has its own storyline. I hate the idea that they would have spent so much time and resources encouraging players to roll so many alts to experience so many new storylines only to pull the rug out from under them. It's already almost impossible to play through the same side quests for the 2nd+ time for each faction just to experience the stories, can you imagine trying to take all 8 classes through the same storyline? BORING. That's why I hate the way Makeb sounds, I hate the implication of what Makeb means for the future of class quests, and I hate the fact that BioWare won't even use the word "class storylines" anymore and that a year has gone by without any mention of continuing the story whatsoever.

How about that question Mr. Lead Writer (who I do believe is talented and means well), will we get new class storylines or has BioWare abandoned them completely, and will you be honest about it and tell us?

DarthRobert
11.01.2012 , 06:25 PM | #14
Hi Hall,

I've really enjoyed most of the class stories and quests so far, particularly the Smuggler class line. Thanks for your work so far and I'm looking forward to more.

As far as suggestions go, I'd like to see more companion interaction during quests. It's nice to chat to them one on one for their companion story lines but I'm more impressed when they have something to add or say regarding what my character is doing and with whom they are dealing. It adds their presence and character to the action in the moment rather than around or outside it.

Addendum: Have you seen the suggestions about being able to repeat class stories, example as per my sig? There's a certain amount of interest for it. A lot of people would love to "re-read" your stories. Maybe a word edgewise with the bosses on our behalf?...

CommunitySupport
11.01.2012 , 06:31 PM | #15
Hello everyone; we've had to remove some posts from this thread, and wanted to post a reminder to stay on-topic. Asking questions of Hall and discussing the blog is fine, but questioning the validity of others' questions and derailing the thread with discussions or arguments about other topics will not be permitted. Thank you for your understanding.

Tatile
11.01.2012 , 06:34 PM | #16
To specify, these questions are for Mr. Hood as he is the Lead Writer and should have a good idea of why these questions are relevant to the content and the people waiting for it.
  • Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance?
  • If so, which?
  • If current companions are made available, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?
  • Will there be same-gender romances available to all classes and all genders?
  • If so, how many?

Uluain
11.01.2012 , 07:05 PM | #17
A more general question: How closely do writers get to work with the voice actors? Is there some degree of coaching, or sharing why you wrote something in the way that you did?

Murder_Toys
11.01.2012 , 07:13 PM | #18
Hi Hall

My question to you is, if and when the Level cap ( future content ) is add to the game. How much involvement will are companions have to the main story . will are companions have new conversions ? summarising what he or she has been up to since we hit level 50?

What progression will we see in are Main characters eg ( how much time has pass etc)

Thanks

Oliver
MurderToys | Empire | MurderToy | Republic
Want free server transfer and 7 days extra sub
http://www.swtor.com/r/KYbFPT

Costello
11.01.2012 , 07:41 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Alright, here is a question:

In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future? Does this mean that there will be no more Class stories? Will future story updates be designed in a way that multiple classes will overlap and interact in the actual story in some way?

The former question would make me very sad, but the latter would be pretty cool.
Isn't that basically what flash points and ops are? Where 2 emporers hands a few Agent 9 and a few Darths come together to do an avengers Assemble style story. Which ultimately has very very little story and far more generic content. I would also be very sad if future class story turned out to be instanced world story so if you have multiple characters you get to see the same content repeated.

Another question, when are we going to start seeing something to do with the civil war. The game is set in a time of war across the entire galaxy yet so much of the time the story is about killing your own people (for the sith) and dealing with thugs and seperatists for the republic. So when will we see Imperial vs Republic and the war being part of the story.

Projawa
11.01.2012 , 07:52 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Korusus View Post
I just listened to that interview and that answer is frightening. I don't want all the classes to culminate into one Avenger's style storyline. I can't think of anything that would make me abandon this game faster. I love the fact that each class has its own storyline. I hate the idea that they would have spent so much time and resources encouraging players to roll so many alts to experience so many new storylines only to pull the rug out from under them. It's already almost impossible to play through the same side quests for the 2nd+ time for each faction just to experience the stories, can you imagine trying to take all 8 classes through the same storyline? BORING. That's why I hate the way Makeb sounds, I hate the implication of what Makeb means for the future of class quests, and I hate the fact that BioWare won't even use the word "class storylines" anymore and that a year has gone by without any mention of continuing the story whatsoever.

How about that question Mr. Lead Writer (who I do believe is talented and means well), will we get new class storylines or has BioWare abandoned them completely, and will you be honest about it and tell us?
I would not be surprised if the class stories were combined in some way. It takes a lot of man hours to produce each of the cutscenes we see in the game and I doubt they have a big budget pool to swim around in though I hope f2p goes well. Even if they really streamline their processes and get super efficient with it all, it's still a costly undertaking. I'm not trying to make excuses for them because the way it sounds I probably wouldn't continue with the game if it turns out like this but at least it's understandable from a business reality pov.