Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 10:29 PM | #681
Quote: Originally Posted by VassagoOmega View Post
Well, sadly enough, the RAM voltage hasn't made a significant difference in my crashing. It's still happening, and once it starts, it just gets more and more frequent. When I crash the first time, it'll crash consistently EVERY 15 Minutes!

Well, I'm back to square one with this again. Got my hopes up briefly. Shame on me.

I hope that this gets fixed soon. If not, then I too will be dropping the game. I have no intention of going to play other MMOs. If this game doesn't want to work, I'll be going back to console gaming. At least my PS3 doesn't have any issues.
This sounds more like heat related, especially if once it starts it gets more frequent, I'm sure you have thought of this before and checked but it is a classic sign of heat issues especially the more frequent part.
Swtor does heat up my computer more then any other game I currently run maybe one of the capacitors is starting to fail on the board, who knows and this may only be an issue under heavy load.

10-15 minutes is about the time needed to raise temps significantly once the game starts on my machine.

Classic sign of heat related crashes, machine is turned on from cold then works for say an hour then crash then any subsequent crashes will occur quicker as your not coming from a cold start anymore.

Just my thoughts

VassagoOmega
01.13.2013 , 10:32 PM | #682
CPU temp never gets above 52 C and my GPU never gets above 72 C. Not a heat issue. System temp is usually stable at about 43 C.

Good suggestion though.
TURRIS FORTIS MIHI DEUS
Awakened to Redemption A Christian Gaming Guild

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 10:38 PM | #683
Quote: Originally Posted by VassagoOmega View Post
CPU temp never gets above 52 C and my GPU never gets above 72 C. Not a heat issue. System temp is usually stable at about 43 C.

Good suggestion though.
Had another player check his temps on gpu it reported never going over 50, turns out his video card fan had died if your fps is dropping after an initial cold start this is another sign of heat as well.

Just thinking from when you said you had a massive increase in fps the other day

VassagoOmega
01.13.2013 , 10:43 PM | #684
Yeah, I'm not having any dips, or drops in FPS. It stays really steady. I only see fps changes in areas where there are more players. I'm not getting any game performance changes when, or close to the crashes. There's never any indication that it's about to crash. As I've said before, I crash when I'm standing still not doing anything. I crash when I'm crafting. I crash when I'm running up a road. I crash on a speeder. I crash in story zones. I crash out of story zones. It's nothing I'm doing, it's just crashing. Location doesn't matter.

The odd 15 minute interval seems a bit strange. But I'm not joking. It's like clockwork. That's the only real clue I have to go on.

The fps increase was only while on a taxi. It didn't change anything else.
TURRIS FORTIS MIHI DEUS
Awakened to Redemption A Christian Gaming Guild

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 10:47 PM | #685
That is weird for a regular 15 min interval, will think on it as well.

BottFly
01.13.2013 , 11:59 PM | #686
Spoiler

Spoiler

geemorin
01.14.2013 , 04:46 AM | #687
FIX that worked for me:

Context for Bioware:
I had crashes to desktop in this game and also in TF2. Crashes were occurring in the same DLL. I realized that my TF2 crashes started right after I activated the "Multi-Core Rendering Optimization" option. So I disabled it and it stopped crashing to desktop. So I thought it my be the same for SWTOR and actually, it was the same problem. Since I haven't seen this option in the Video preferences menu, I forced a single core rendering for all my applications through my NVidia settings panel. Multi-core rendering on some machines tends to cause memory leaks or shared memory problems for some obscure reasons...

To de-activate "Multi-Core Rendering" with NVidia:
  1. Right-click on your desktop background
  2. Select "NVidia settings"
  3. Go in the "Manage 3D settings" option
  4. Under the "Global Settings" tab
  5. Find the "Threaded optimization" option and turn it "OFF" to force it off.
  6. Also make sure that all applications under the "Program Settings" tab uses the "Global Settings" for this option.
  7. Apply the modifications
  8. Enjoy

I hope this works for you!

A less disappointed user!

OwenBrooks
01.14.2013 , 05:00 AM | #688
Quote: Originally Posted by geemorin View Post
FIX that worked for me:

Context for Bioware:
I had crashes to desktop in this game and also in TF2. Crashes were occurring in the same DLL. I realized that my TF2 crashes started right after I activated the "Multi-Core Rendering Optimization" option. So I disabled it and it stopped crashing to desktop. So I thought it my be the same for SWTOR and actually, it was the same problem. Since I haven't seen this option in the Video preferences menu, I forced a single core rendering for all my applications through my NVidia settings panel. Multi-core rendering on some machines tends to cause memory leaks or shared memory problems for some obscure reasons...

To de-activate "Multi-Core Rendering" with NVidia:
  1. Right-click on your desktop background
  2. Select "NVidia settings"
  3. Go in the "Manage 3D settings" option
  4. Under the "Global Settings" tab
  5. Find the "Threaded optimization" option and turn it "OFF" to force it off.
  6. Also make sure that all applications under the "Program Settings" tab uses the "Global Settings" for this option.
  7. Apply the modifications
  8. Enjoy

I hope this works for you!

A less disappointed user!
I wonder why this is only affecting some 64 bit and not others, i wonder if this will affect 32bit OS as well hmm.

Or is it only certain cards like the 500 series, good to know you stopped your crashes and thank you for sharing this information as it may indeed help others with crashing.

Edit - Was your crash still only specific to the end of flashpoints ?

Sealcluber
01.14.2013 , 02:19 PM | #689
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. Zera'toole, Qwon'chi, Kerrig'an, Tee'jee, Car'fax
3. Had regular server disconnects 5 days ago was once every 30 minutes or so. Since then it has been once every 3 hours or so. Now it is once every 5-10 minutes, and many of those result in crash to desktops.
4. Routine play before would disconnect me, but now trying to play space missions is causing it. (minefield specifically)
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. It started off as server crashes but now has turned into an inability to play due to complete crashing to desktop.

MaceBroncoman
01.14.2013 , 03:29 PM | #690
[spoilerQUOTE]Jedia Covnenant
All chacaters

Number happened before until the latest update 1.4

------------------
System Information
------------------
Spoiler