Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jediturbodude
01.01.2013 , 07:29 PM | #561
Had one just now, this on top of all the other numerous bugs is why I'm leaving as soon as Elder Scrolls gets here. And if that has service as bad as this then clearly MMOs are not worth the time

Desplain
01.01.2013 , 08:53 PM | #562
First, I've the same issue like you.

Normally I'm playing on a German server and I'm posting on the German forum (US with German Passport), but these guys are driving me crazy.

Here you're posting your logs and you're trying to help each other and that's great.

I've posted my logs with a lot of other gamers on the German forum to get some support from Bioware or some other gamers, but the only thing we get is being attacked by some guys (most of the time).

So they blame our computers for it and that we are to stupid to do a correct configuration.

I've explained many times that they should also read the english forum, but they say that everyone who claims it's the game is a stupid person.
They tell us to buy a new computer or some hardware because ours are crap.

So I just wanted to let you know how "lucky " you are and that I think it will be a better idea for me to look here for a solution.

(Hope my English is not too bad, because I haven't talked for a long time in English)

May the Force be with you.

ksobenes
01.01.2013 , 09:38 PM | #563
1.Begeren colony
2.All of them,Alphomega,Lightwalker,Trol'ith,Gro'co
3.Every 4-5 minutes while i am playing
4.Missions,Anything an ordinary player would do
5.------------------
Spoiler

Mystame
01.02.2013 , 07:13 AM | #564
  1. The Red Eclipse
  2. Mystame
  3. Within 10 minutes of starting to play actual game, can be on loading screens/chracter selection screen for ages
  4. none
  5. DxDiag
    Spoiler
  6. Reliability Report(s)
    Spoiler
    Spoiler
  7. This IS a CRASH to Desktop, if it isn't sorted I'll be leaving...

eddythewerewolf
01.02.2013 , 07:16 AM | #565
just want to say that so far that memory switch thing seemed to have worked for me was on for a few hours straight the other day so you guys should try it
Peace is a lie, there's only passion.

Desplain
01.02.2013 , 10:36 AM | #566
Quote: Originally Posted by eddythewerewolf View Post
just want to say that so far that memory switch thing seemed to have worked for me was on for a few hours straight the other day so you guys should try it
Hm, seems that it doesn't work for my computer.
Tried the switch and my computer crashed two times after 10 minutes playing Tatooine.
Had to reset the computer.
After removing the switch the game was running for 3 hours (like before).

But I agree, try it!
It might work for other computers.

Tuborg
01.02.2013 , 12:27 PM | #567
Name of server. Red Eclipse
Name of character(s) ALL
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? 10-30 times every friggin day
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
Usually when I'm in fleet (started fairly recently btw) I crash whaever I'm doing, if not there, it's when I change zones. It - THANK GOD - never seem to happen while I'm actually playing on a map/instance - IF I can get there. A memory leak really seems likely (yeah, I do that slave work called "Crafting" a lot too). Also: I keep loosing connection EVERY TIME I enter a space ship or try a space mission. One bar at best, usually a red [x] constantly.
Your DXDiag in spoiler tags:
You know what - Not gonna bother given how you responded when I sent a ticket about it.
Your reliability report in spoiler tags
Oh, wait... I have Windows 8: Guess that means I don't have to bother with this **** either, since the crash doesn't report anything to "Åtgärdscenter"
Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select: Specified! Repeatedly!

Hope you find the Bold text as annoying as I did when I previewed this message.

edit: Oh, this was a bit funny. Not suggesting it in general, but...
Going by the "It's probably a memory leak" idea I shoved a bunch of old USB sticks into my 13-port USB hub and activated ReadyBoost on them, basically "giving me more memory", sort of.. (well, let's not debate the actual workings, huh?) and...

The game works faster, the "lag" is gone (yeah, really, even in the ships/space fights) and so far I haven't had a single crash. Yes indeed I run a 3 year old - once a beast - machine with pitiful (but enough) amount of memory.

DarkkChaos
01.02.2013 , 06:42 PM | #568
Well....here we are, day...........I'm not even sure anymore.

Still CTD every few hours - and no hope in sight for a "memory leak" fix from BW. ........sigh........oh 1.4....why did you have to destroy my game!
CTD...every 120 mins...since : 9/26/2012

Desplain
01.02.2013 , 08:24 PM | #569
Tried the memory cleaner, but did't work as well.
Still got a ctd after 2 hours when I tried to go from the fleet to Tatooine.
Also ctd while playing Huttball, lost 12 medals .

Couldn't resist to read the German forum again (I shouldn't have done that).

These guys still believe it's everyones computer and not the game and that this thread here is nonsens.

Please Bioware say something!!!!!

Genkiyo
01.02.2013 , 11:03 PM | #570
Quote: Originally Posted by Aortaex View Post
After I tried this I didn't have single crash for over month now, before that it was either 1.5 hour idle game crash time or crashing to desktop after every 5th or 6th loading screen usually after switching from one char to another, hope it will work for you guys as well.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

1 . Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072"
3. Restart the computer.
Yeah, add me to the list of people that this has worked for (Win 7 32bit system on a wifi network). In about 5 hours of play this evening, not one ctd. Before using this, one ctd within the first 1.5-2 hours, then one every hour after that.

Thank God for the community, cause the devs seem to be spitting into the wind. Unbelievable.

EDIT: To reiterate a previous statement, I don't consider this a "fix" for BW's problem, but it's as close to one as possible until a fix is issued. Many users don't peruse the forums to come across work-arounds like this, so it still needs to be fixed for them. Meanwhile, the end-users just owned BW in my book.
Kick in the door, wave in the fo fo. All you heard was "Pappa, don't force push me no mo!"