Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

profhermit
12.29.2012 , 12:39 PM | #531
Has anyone ever noticed TWO instances of swtor.exe running? Could this have something to do with the crash?

Here is a screen shot:
Possesses screenshot

CloudCastle
12.29.2012 , 02:07 PM | #532
I've been having this problem for a few months now, but this is my first time posting here.

During a crash, mine always lists two instances of SWTOR running under task manager, so I'm not sure if that is normal or not. One thing I have noticed is, after a crash, when I go to restart the game, it sometimes tells me that it is already running, even though I can't see anything SWTOR related running under task manager.

1. Ebon Hawk
2. Any character I happen to be playing - so, all characters presumably
3. Crashes about once every 2 hours. Always get at least one crash for every play session, sometimes up to three.
4. Seems to happen most often when I am loading or about to load a new planet or cut scene, but sometimes it happens when running around the world or in combat. I can sometimes tell when one is about to happen, because my sound will start stuttering or cutting out first, along with multiple mini-freezes.
Spoiler

6. I followed the instructions for this, but all I got was a very long listing of every document that had the listed keywords in it somewhere. Not sure how to get to the screen you are describing.
7. Very long freeze, then the desktop appears with no sign of the game running. So, yes a crash to desktop.

WolfRadick
12.29.2012 , 02:12 PM | #533
Wow you guys finally admit to a problem 9 months after my last contact with your ****** customer support back in February. Here is my case number and last email where Daniel said i would be contacted by the highest people in tech support, but that never happened.

Spoiler

I did all the crap they wanted me to do, provided more than enough information and all that i was told was that i needed to stop overclocking. BEEN STOCK SINCE I BOUGHT THE DAMN COMPUTER. I got more info out of this issue working on it myself. The problem is SWTOR's memory management. It addresses stuff out of bounds due to improper cleanup of video ram and improper memory management of the game. Run a second monitor with task manager up and MSI afterburner to keep tabs on the amount of video ram being used. Right before the game crashes windows has no free memory and my video card with 1gb of video ram fills up to. Been saying this **** for 9 months now, but no one from support will ever get back with me on this issue. Now it seems you morons made the issue worse as so many people are having issues. How about some reimbursement for being a subscriber for so long playing though the stupid crashes?

Riknarok
12.29.2012 , 03:47 PM | #534
1. Bergeren Colony & Ebon Hawk
2. All
3.Frequency of crashing – 1 crash every 90-120 minutes
4. Generally happens when running
5.Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

6.Your reliability report in spoiler tags

Spoiler

7. This is indeed a crash to desktop - no error message, SWTOR just dies.

SirMalcom
12.29.2012 , 04:35 PM | #535
Day 7, still unable to play, any recommendations? Any at all would be better than sitting around waiting for something to change.

I should say that it at least doesn't close completely....... now I've got a yellow screen that replaced the red one I use to get after clicking play......

Morwood
12.29.2012 , 05:16 PM | #536
Jedi Covenant
Mordeith, Tuppyboy
3-5 times in a 6 hour avg. window
Going and coming into Flash Points, leaving ship, at Fleet, you name it.

Spoiler

Gnardlblarz
12.29.2012 , 05:18 PM | #537
Um mal einen freundlichen Mitleidenden aus dem US-Forum zu zitieren:
( war glaub´ ich in einem anderen Zusammenhang, aber passt hier auch ganz gut hin )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katzz57tmm4

Weiters möchte ich zu den völlig legitimen 7 Punkten, die wir User zur Problemlösung beitragen können, gerne noch einen weiteren hinzufügen:

8. Smash face on keyboard - post results ( you know the drill ) .

Shows like this:

8. cdrfesxy.

Hilft den Bughuntern auf alle Fälle.

Gute Nacht. Good night

Edit: Jesus Christ. I accidentally the US-Forums.

Edit2: While I´m here I might also change a few things...(onla a few )

Cuhp
12.29.2012 , 07:02 PM | #538
Nevermind, Sorry guys but after installing/restoring about 6-10 times it turns out that the Service pack wasn't it. It was something else in the update and still trying to figure it out.

psikofunkster
12.29.2012 , 07:17 PM | #539
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuhp View Post
Guys, I just updated my windows 7 to service pack 1 early today and when I loaded the game it kept on crashing after I clicked on the play button. I also noticed the 2 instances of the SWTOR.exe running. I did a system restore which puts me back to the point before the update happen and when I ran the launcher it has stop crashing. I don't know if this helps you guys out or not.
LOL Service packs are NOT optional the game IS.

Jaevyn
12.29.2012 , 07:20 PM | #540
1. The Harbinger
2. Jaevyn, Jassam
3. Originally about one crash every two hours, now crashes every 30 minutes or even quicker than that sometimes
4. Game stalls momentarily, starts back up and then 5 seconds later completely freezes (unresponsive). Task Manager then shows the game as "Not Responding".
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. I can confirm this is not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select. This is most definitely a crash to desktop with the game freezing and not responding prior to the crash.