Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 11:56 AM | #461
I'm now crashing pretty much every other time I leave a WZ or a FP.

I'll collect the info needed.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

psikofunkster
12.21.2012 , 02:49 PM | #462
Im crashing during the warzones.

Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 03:17 PM | #463
1. Freedon Nadd
2. All of them
3. 1 in every 2 or 3 WZs or Flashpoints.
4. Usually it is when heavy fighting is occuring OR at the very end when you'd be zoning back to the game, occasionally it is when zoning into a WZ or FP.

5. DXDiag
Spoiler

6. Reliabilty.
Spoiler

7. These are crashes to desktop, not server screen or anything else, they whole program crashes.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

OwenBrooks
12.21.2012 , 04:46 PM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
1. Freedon Nadd
2. All of them
3. 1 in every 2 or 3 WZs or Flashpoints.
4. Usually it is when heavy fighting is occuring OR at the very end when you'd be zoning back to the game, occasionally it is when zoning into a WZ or FP.

5. DXDiag
Spoiler

6. Reliabilty.
Spoiler

7. These are crashes to desktop, not server screen or anything else, they whole program crashes.
Only thing I can see is that your sound drivers are from 2008 it is worthwhile updating to just eliminate it as a cause.
try this link the newer drivers have fixes for certain crashes like with skype etc
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...0DX&p=21&os=30
Also If your monitor can connect via dvi-d it is preferable to hd15 you are using which is a analogue signal.
If this is recent have you tried runing the repair option at login ?

Deathgripx
12.21.2012 , 06:24 PM | #465
Made a post about this earlier i'll just copy and paste it

Cansyphilaids

I constantly crash in the middle of a wz, random times on the fleet and when doing planet quests

Random no pattern but its usually in a warzone most often

Logs:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Crash log
Spoiler

Belaan
12.21.2012 , 09:29 PM | #466
Name of server:
* Shadowlands
Name of character(s) affected:
* All of them
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
* Multiple times a day.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.:
* Nope. See bottom for steps I have already taken.
Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

Your reliability report in spoiler tags
Spoiler

Please post the full information of the last swtor.exe failure within code tags or spoiler tags
Spoiler

Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select:
* I crash constantly, whether it's logout related, login related, or simply playing. It happens a lot.

I have disabled overclocking (not a single other program has had a problem with my overclocking, and I have tested it rigorously). I find it in poor form the amount I see on these forums, of BioWare refusing to admit fault, and pointing at the customer's computer.

I have tried on THREE different hard drives, with the same result.

My work computer, same OS but an i5 instead of an i7, has no problems at all.

I have tried deleting the cache files - this works only temporarily.

I have tried with and without compatibility enabled.

I literally have to repair and re-download a gigabyte or more EVERY TIME I LOG IN.

I have reinstalled FOUR TIMES. Fresh re-install. Deleted all files locally, or changed install paths. I have deleted items under appdata. I have manually removed registry keys. I have hunted down and eradicated every bit of SWTOR between re-installs that I could find.

I have run memtest.

This is the ONLY program that gives me trouble...

KostonxEld
12.22.2012 , 12:38 AM | #467
Still having this problem. Oday crashed 2 times loading into game after switching characters.
Never crashes ONCE before 1.4 came out. We need a fix for this SOON!! 1.4 added something to make 32bite users really unstable and broken. We need a rollback!
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!

Duncanmcloud
12.22.2012 , 03:01 AM | #468
This is a total crash of the game to destop
1. harbinger
2. all my characters
3. every hour to sometimes 3 hours
4. whenever I zone anywhere my memory usage of swtor.exe goes up until it hits 1.7 gigs is where the game crashes. So any loading screen including pvp makes this go up.
Spoiler

Reliability report:
Spoiler

Raved-Thrad
12.22.2012 , 07:02 AM | #469
Quote: Originally Posted by Moojaki View Post
I had this issue since Sept or so.... I enabled the 3GB switch in Windows (google "enable 3gb switch" for instructions) and have not crashed since. I am using 32-bit Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM.

The swtor process still grows over time, so it will crash eventually... but crashing every 8-9 hours is much more tolerable than every 90 minutes.
This seems to have done it for me. My game starts to slow down and get choppy after a couple of hours (like it used to) but at least now it's not randomly crashing; at least, it hasn't crashed in the past two days. Many thanks!

ClaudeTaylor
12.22.2012 , 10:45 AM | #470
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Even though you have 4gb ram , Win XP 32bit can only access a maximum of 3.2gb.

Only thing i noticed in your diag is the sound drivers are from 2008 but thats about it.

There is some conjecture about memory use within 32 bit OS , Win xp didn't handle memory as well as vista and up.

Some have tried different things have a read through some of the threads as not sure what will work for your machine.

Recent post had a xp user installing a program called memory cleaner and he says his issues are gone
ther arent any new drivers that i can find for my onboard card but. When i was on vista it was crashing more often so i went back to xp and they went from every hour to every hour to 2 hours

Do you know anything else about this memory cleaner. A name or something?