Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dtbond
12.14.2012 , 03:37 PM | #371
DXDIAG, Part 2
Spoiler

6. Reliability Report
Spoiler

7. Crash to desktop. Launcher fires up fine, but swtor.exe fails on initiation.

LordDakir
12.14.2012 , 05:11 PM | #372
Prophecy Of The Five
All characters: Dakir my main character.
every hour or so
The triggers are very random but I believe it happens the most when many effects are being displayed on screen.
DXDIAG:
Spoiler

Reliability Report:
Spoiler

This is a CRASH TO DESKTOP , program freezes and task manager must be brought up to end swtor.exe (Not Responding).

LordDakir
12.14.2012 , 05:12 PM | #373
NOTE: This crash only happens on my HP laptop.(windows 8 64 bit)

DXDIAG(continued) :
Spoiler

OwenBrooks
12.14.2012 , 05:40 PM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by LordDakir View Post
NOTE: This crash only happens on my HP laptop.(windows 8 64 bit)

DXDIAG(continued) :
Spoiler
Try disabling nortons and enabling the windows one for a trial and see if it re-occurs with nortons disabled
The video driver is also crashing at the time as well but I presume you already have the latest driver available.

Le_Quva
12.14.2012 , 05:56 PM | #375
1 - The Red Eclipse
2 - Ji'ach, Xadata, Otageesh
3 - Mostly one every day
4 - It happens in every situation
5 -
Spoiler

6 -
Spoiler

7 - Crashes right to desktop, or The Application SWTOR has stopped working, usually the latter, seeing both

Persiffon
12.14.2012 , 05:59 PM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
You can have your opinion, i have mine. I have had the same crash at exactly the same moment as other users. It also happens at the same places (esseles final). If you haven't had issues in your 64 bits OS that doesnt mean there is not a problem. Other people have.

This is more complex than simply a memory reaching a certain amount in use. This is client-server related.

It is obvious this is a problem they can't fix. First of all they don't have a clue. I think it is related with the employees they fired, apparently they had the knowledge about their code and the new ones are still studying or simply they don't know how to fix it.

Lol and if you are an expert in computers ask for a job at Bioware and fix it!
Obviously they don't want help. You can post you dx diag all you want but it is not the systems that are at fault. This is sloppy programming period. They are violating the barrier of the 2 gigs and that is plain to see.
I run many high end clients with zero issues like this so whats the difference? Biowares client. This isn't a server issue and you can tell if you log the memory usage when running the client. When the 2 gig barrier is breached hardware starts to shut down via the corrupted drivers. Remember the system has to have ram to function and if you have a 1 gig video card it takes 1 gig from the system resources. When the client breaches the 2 gig barrier it is trying to use memory that is dedicated to the system and usually the first thing to get dumped is network and sound drivers in that breach.

So we have:

1 gig video ram
1 gig system ram (- all the little programs running in the background + drivers)
2 gig process ram

4 gig total

This is why the only errors I see is swtor.exe. Windows will protect itself and bomb any program violating the 2 gig barrier in a 32 bit operating system. Since we can not throw more ram at this we must rely on Bioware to make things right.

As for Windows 7 64 bit crashing I have no clue because I don't have it available to check it. On the other hand I do have Windows XP x64 and it does not crash like this is doing in Windows XP 32 bit. The only thing I see Windows XP x64 do is handle the violation better due to improved memory management because it can address way more physical ram then 32 bit systems, even with the same 4 gigs base physical ram. This is due to video cards not having to replace the real physical ram. This is exactly why x64 can report a full 4 gigs when 32 bit os's must subtract the video ram from the available physical ram. Just because you have 4 gigs installed does not mean you can use the entire physical ram in a 32 bit operating system. It must share with the video and other devices in a 32 bit operating system. Obviously Bioware is not aware of this limitation and hence why they did not include this in their client code..

As for my credentials I am a certified Technician with over 20 years experience in Computer hardware and the Windows operating systems. I am not a programmer and to tell you the truth most programmers are not computer technicians either.

May I ask a question of the mods here? Is this the Hero Engine?
Ok found out it is yes. There are many memory leaks in the engine from what I can read on the hero engine site.

from the devs at hero engine:
"There is a memory leak with environment clouds. You can disable them in rendering settings, or in the environment panel until the fix is deployed."

Ok this explains it then. Bioware isn't even developing this engine. No wonder they don't know anything.

LordDakir
12.14.2012 , 06:42 PM | #377
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Try disabling nortons and enabling the windows one for a trial and see if it re-occurs with nortons disabled
The video driver is also crashing at the time as well but I presume you already have the latest driver available.
Uninstalled norton and got windows Defender turned on ... still crashing

psikofunkster
12.14.2012 , 07:03 PM | #378
Nah if the client was the only to blame everybody should be having this issue, many people under 32 OS don't have a single problem regarding this crashings.

As i said it is a client-server related, that's my personal guess. It is exactly the same issue with IRST 11.7 some users dont have a single issue others do and nobody knows what is happening. Weird. Maybe the Aliens are playing tricks but nahhhh theres people who knows exactly what is happening but they don't want to tell cause they can't fix it. As simply as that.

I was doing the Esseless the other day two people crashed at the same time, the other 2 didn't have a single issue.

As far as i remember nobody had this issue before 1.3, after that Bioware added new stuff to the game but messed up with the game too at the same time.

OwenBrooks
12.14.2012 , 07:27 PM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by LordDakir View Post
Uninstalled norton and got windows Defender turned on ... still crashing
Is it the simtel downloader you have running as well ?

Also go to HP website I think there is a newer video driver for your laptop available this may fix the issue

Persiffon
12.14.2012 , 07:35 PM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
Nah if the client was the only to blame everybody should be having this issue, many people under 32 OS don't have a single problem regarding this crashings.

As i said it is a client-server related, that's my personal guess. It is exactly the same issue with IRST 11.7 some users dont have a single issue others do and nobody knows what is happening. Weird. Maybe the Aliens are playing tricks but nahhhh theres people who knows exactly what is happening but they don't want to tell cause they can't fix it. As simply as that.

I was doing the Esseless the other day two people crashed at the same time, the other 2 didn't have a single issue.

As far as i remember nobody had this issue before 1.3, after that Bioware added new stuff to the game but messed up with the game too at the same time.
Well I'm running windows XP professional SP3

What are others who have 32 bit os's have for the sp?

Maybe this has to do with the SP's?

I don't know why the process goes to over 1.6 gigs. This is the reason for the crash. I have run all diags and even ran the system file checker and reinstalled everything I can think of. There is no other explanation that I can think of.