Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mentalmackem
12.13.2012 , 09:34 PM | #361
1.Name of server. Tomb Of Freedom Nadd
2.Name of character(s) affected. ieti, Pybo, Mafful, Wabell, kidire
3.Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? once or twice a day
4.Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.: Tends to occur during a extended gaming period, i start playing my ram usage is at 35% by the time it crashes ram usage is on 98%, appears to be some kind of memory leak.

Dxdiag
Spoiler

Reliabilty report for swtor

Spoiler

OwenBrooks
12.13.2012 , 09:49 PM | #362
mentalmackem

Please go here and update your motherboard drivers, especially the sound and chipset drivers

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3766#dl

Not saying this is a solution just you should do this in anycase

I run win 7 64 with 670gtx and have never had a crash even after playing for 12 hours straight.
maybe i am just lucky who knows.

pritcc
12.13.2012 , 10:56 PM | #363
1. Begeren Colony
2. All Characters affected
3. Takes about 2 hours to crash if I am playing a char. Crashing happens a lot sooner if I'm switching characters a lot.
4. Crashing happens more rapidly when I switch out characters. I log on, send my companions out on crew skill quests, then log off and do the same for the next char till I have cycled through all of my characters. Rinse and repeat. Also, I get two crash error messages. I'll include both in section 6.
5 Part 1
Spoiler

pritcc
12.13.2012 , 11:00 PM | #364
5. Part 2

Spoiler

Spoiler

7. Crash to Desktop.

OwenBrooks
12.13.2012 , 11:05 PM | #365
Quote: Originally Posted by pritcc View Post
1. Begeren Colony
2. All Characters affected
3. Takes about 2 hours to crash if I am playing a char. Crashing happens a lot sooner if I'm switching characters a lot.
4. Crashing happens more rapidly when I switch out characters. I log on, send my companions out on crew skill quests, then log off and do the same for the next char till I have cycled through all of my characters. Rinse and repeat. Also, I get two crash error messages. I'll include both in section 6.
5 Part 1
Spoiler
Would recommend 2 things
1. update your video drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
yours are from jan 2011
2. disable crossfire when you play this game.

dvieb
12.14.2012 , 04:58 AM | #366
1 - The Harbinger, The Red Eclipse,Jedi Covenant
2 - all of my characters
3 - it happens every time i play after some time, there is no specific time frame that it happens
4 - it mostly happens when i enter or leave a planet, but it also happened in other places
5 -
Spoiler

6 - latest crash i had had information here it is:

Spoiler

7 this is a crash to desktop, no disconnect

Reisling
12.14.2012 , 08:02 AM | #367
My crash to desktop was always accompanied by a network disconnection. I was using a wireless Medialink USB network card. I have a GTX 480 video card. Tried playing around with all of the settings, different driver versions with no success. Finally I purchased a new Premieretek PL-18N gamebase network card. Problem solved. No more crashes. Video settings maxed out.

Persiffon
12.14.2012 , 09:05 AM | #368
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
No this is not OS related if that were the case 64 bits users wouldnt have this problem.
Yes this is os related barrier and these guys didn't account for it. They need to put in code that senses the os bit version and adjust the client to work in the memory allowed for that os.

The reason for the 64 bit crashes is unknown to me because I have never seen a 64 bit crash. I have both versions 32 and 64 and only the 32bit crashes. My other machine, 64 bit version will run this all day with no crash at all.

If you haven't payed attention to the others about the memory size of the running process then obviously you don't know much about computers. Once the process gets to 1.6-1.8 gigs it bombs out. I have watched this over and over.

I can't believe it is not being looked into yet. I for one being a sub require this to be priority one! Not add ons and new cartel stuff. Fix the problem. If you need help with that then program a special diag mode into the client and I and the others who are having this issue will run it. We want this fixed asap.

Besides this issue the game runs flawlessly.

Also running the os in GT4 mode or the /3gb switch is not recommended by Microsoft or by and good technician. It makes the OS very unstable especially when you have a 1 gig video card. This switch swaps 1 gig from the system only memory to the program memory. There can only be 4 gigs period for the system in a 32 bit OS and the video card memory is included in that as well as anything else that has memory in the system.

I'm also curious as to which Network card the ones effected are using? Realtek pcie GBE??

psikofunkster
12.14.2012 , 11:27 AM | #369
Quote: Originally Posted by Persiffon View Post
Yes this is os related barrier and these guys didn't account for it. They need to put in code that senses the os bit version and adjust the client to work in the memory allowed for that os.

The reason for the 64 bit crashes is unknown to me because I have never seen a 64 bit crash. I have both versions 32 and 64 and only the 32bit crashes. My other machine, 64 bit version will run this all day with no crash at all.

If you haven't payed attention to the others about the memory size of the running process then obviously you don't know much about computers. Once the process gets to 1.6-1.8 gigs it bombs out. I have watched this over and over.

I can't believe it is not being looked into yet. I for one being a sub require this to be priority one! Not add ons and new cartel stuff. Fix the problem. If you need help with that then program a special diag mode into the client and I and the others who are having this issue will run it. We want this fixed asap.

Besides this issue the game runs flawlessly.

Also running the os in GT4 mode or the /3gb switch is not recommended by Microsoft or by and good technician. It makes the OS very unstable especially when you have a 1 gig video card. This switch swaps 1 gig from the system only memory to the program memory. There can only be 4 gigs period for the system in a 32 bit OS and the video card memory is included in that as well as anything else that has memory in the system.

I'm also curious as to which Network card the ones effected are using? Realtek pcie GBE??
You can have your opinion, i have mine. I have had the same crash at exactly the same moment as other users. It also happens at the same places (esseles final). If you haven't had issues in your 64 bits OS that doesnt mean there is not a problem. Other people have.

This is more complex than simply a memory reaching a certain amount in use. This is client-server related.

It is obvious this is a problem they can't fix. First of all they don't have a clue. I think it is related with the employees they fired, apparently they had the knowledge about their code and the new ones are still studying or simply they don't know how to fix it.

Lol and if you are an expert in computers ask for a job at Bioware and fix it!

dtbond
12.14.2012 , 03:34 PM | #370
Name of server: The Harbinger
Name of character(s) affected. ALL
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Every time.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.Crashed in the middle of a PVP match, has not worked since.
[SPOILER]
5. DXDIAG Report:
Spoiler