Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dynamofan
04.04.2013 , 08:16 PM | #1531
1.Name of server.
Jedi Covenant
2.Name of character(s) affected.
Unsure, as I crash to desktop upon launch
3.Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
Every time I try to launch the game crash to desktop
4.Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
Nothing but logging in.
5.Your DXDiag in spoiler tags

Spoiler

6.Your reliability report in spoiler tags
Spoiler

7. This is indeed a crash from the desktop, as everytime I try to launch I instantaneously crash to desktop.
Jedi Covenant
Forkath- LVL 36 Imperial Agent
Xellephax- LVL 44 Jedi Consular

ReaperSix
04.04.2013 , 08:33 PM | #1532
Since the last patch (patch 1.7.3a on 4/2/2013) I have been unable to login to the game. I have tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing is working. I have run the repair tool each time and still nothing. I have tried everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Which I have read on the forums some have tried and that didn't work either.

1. Click on Launcher Icon on Desktop
2. Put in Security Information (i.e. Display Name, Password, Security Key)
3. Click "Play"
4. Splash/Load Screen appears.
5. Unpopulated Sever Screen appears
6. After a few minutes "Error Code 4001: Unable to retrieve Server List"
7. Exit game.
Note: If I click on any of the Help Options to create a ticket I just get a message: "Updating..."

1. Click on Launcher
2. Input Security Information/Log in Information (i.e. Display Name, Password, Security Key)
3. Click "Play"
4. Splash/Load Screen
5. Crashes to Desktop

I had my son log in to my account from his laptop and we had no problem doing so. So I am at a loss. Due to the fact that so many of us are having this issue I can only surmise that it is an incompatibility issue with certain system configurations.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
***Death Comes to us ALL***

PaxSithari
04.04.2013 , 08:49 PM | #1533
Quote: Originally Posted by RepulicEsteban View Post
Thank you for explaining about how it is work! this is work now. Finally, I can see serve lists pop up.

I will explain this very clearly how to step to step.

***Window 7 64-bit system***
1) Go to SWTOR Icon on desktop and click on right click on open Properties
2) Go to Compatibility and look at box click check and go to change to Window 7
3) When you set Window 7, go to below click Apply and click on OK
4) Run SWTOR and play it now.
This is work by now! I hope everyone got it by now.
Maybe be force with you!
I have tried this numerous times. Great that it worked for you! Unfortunately, I get a repeating "Failed To Update Host" popup. I click OK, it starts the launcher again, ad infinitum. I have to End Task in Task Manager to stop the loop - only when SW:TOR is running, not when the popup window is up. I've deleted the Patch and Patch 1to64 folders. I've done all the voodoo people have suggested. My system is clean and stable, so the problem isn't on the user's end.

This does not bode well for the xpack, sorry to say. I'm prepared for the game to be utterly broken.

I played WoW, so I'm patient with launch fubars. I like the game, have lived with the bugginess, the garbage lag, the unresponsive and jerky control. I have held a sub from the beginning, moving into a 6-month revolving sub. I still paid a subscription when I took a break from the game over the summer. I've even bought Cartel Coins, though I get 600 free a month. Having said that, my sub just renewed. If this isn't fixed within a reasonable amount of time (within 7 days - I'm very generous), and a credit given, I will contact my credit card company for a chargeback and cancel my sub. This is the last straw.
We've forgotten what it is to be Jedi. So I'm going to do some real Jedi work now, and help someone in trouble rather than talk big concepts and run errands for politicians - Bardan Jusik

plotenox
04.04.2013 , 09:11 PM | #1534
Some things I think I need to mention.
On April 2 after I updated SWTOR to 1.7.3a I logged in to SWTOR with my display name,password and security key number and I played the game just fine. Now tonight I did the same thing and it just loaded for a few seconds before crashing to the desktop. This happened to me 3 times tonight,after the 3rd time I gave up. So I came here to this thread.
I did that idea from the previous page about the Windows 7 compatibility change for the SWTOR icon on my desktop. It did work for me! But then when I got to the server list screen I saw no servers listed,both in North America and Europe. So even though I logged in successfully I couldn't play the game still.

Spoiler

Spoiler

There's my DxDiag and reliability report.^^
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

JediWolfcor
04.04.2013 , 10:12 PM | #1535
My problem:
I double click SWTOR Shortcut Launcher.
Closes me out to desktop.
Says: Only a Single Instance of this can run.
Please help me get past logging in!
Fix this update!

aurorakurosaki
04.05.2013 , 12:14 AM | #1536
double xp weekend... expansion early access... you better hurry up with your **** swtor.

Mutsie
04.05.2013 , 01:22 AM | #1537
I have scheduled a couple of days off from work for early access to Makeb so hopefully it works by then...

DalrisThane
04.05.2013 , 03:41 AM | #1538
I started with the CTD. Then, depending on which fix I tried, it either stayed CTD, or Black Launcher (that crashed after 5 min before it let me enter a password), or single instance launcher error, or no server data.

It seems that the possible fixes are a “lottery number” style combo of trying blindly…

Compatibility modes (set to XP SP3, or nothing, or match your “current” OS)
Run Fix Launcher, +/- reboot, +/- Reinstall
Rollback drivers (a common one on the boards for Nvidia was 280.26)

Many more options than above exists.

For me, having a Windows 7-64 with Nvidia 9200 integrated (yeah, I’m cheap), going through all the possible combinations, my personal winning lottery numbers are…

Compatibility of Fix Launcher, Launcher, and SWTOR.exe itself set to XP SP3
Reinstall (from CDs + D/L) + Fix Launcher with Set as Administrator.
Nvidia drivers rolled back to 266.58.

That got me back on and stable.

Some of the “interim” tries got me logged in but disconnect after 20-30 minutes. Once I had a “stable” black launcher (i.e. it didn’t crash after 2-5 minutes) but I could enter my password “blind” and it took it after hanging for 2+ minutes after I typed it in, only to crash 20 minutes later in game, etc… fun times…

Basically, it’s try combos from the above categories until you’re lucky, or give up or pray 2.0 fixes it. I will admit I’m pretty scared that a future patch will have me do this all again. (Testing rollback after rollback for the Nvidia was the worst… nothing magical about 266.58; I was just doing a countdown from the current one, and trying “the next one down”)

Hope it gives you guys something to try until/if an official fix comes down the pipes if 2.0 doesn’t fix this. Good luck.
I’m an old dude that's old school. Emotion + Hyperbole > Logic + Facts. I'd rather be a Drama King than a Human Computer. Sorry...

bettepoul
04.05.2013 , 04:37 AM | #1539
[QUOTE=ReaperSix;6099553]Since the last patch (patch 1.7.3a on 4/2/2013) I have been unable to login to the game. I have tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing is working. I have run the repair tool each time and still nothing. I have tried everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Which I have read on the forums some have tried and that didn't work either.

I got the same problem on my computer...

Beltorze
04.05.2013 , 07:15 AM | #1540
Since the last patch (patch 1.7.3a on 4/2/2013) I have been unable to login to the game. I have tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing is working. I have run the repair tool each time and still nothing. I have tried everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Which I have read on the forums some have tried and that didn't work either.

1. Click on Launcher Icon on Desktop
2. Put in Security Information (i.e. Display Name, Password, Security Key)
3. Click "Play"
4. Splash/Load Screen appears.
5. Unpopulated Sever Screen appears
6. After a few minutes "Error Code 4001: Unable to retrieve Server List"
7. Exit game.
Note: If I click on any of the Help Options to create a ticket I just get a message: "Updating..."

1. Click on Launcher
2. Input Security Information/Log in Information (i.e. Display Name, Password, Security Key)
3. Click "Play"
4. Splash/Load Screen
5. Crashes to Desktop

When is this issue going to be resolved. It has never taken you guys this long to fix minor issue of players being kicked out of flash points or operations, but when a major problem of players not being able to log on you drag your feet! It is obvious that the temporary fix that you posted doesn't work for everyone.