Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Necrohammer
04.04.2013 , 06:18 AM | #1491
Quote: Originally Posted by capennington View Post

Alright everyone -- stumbled across a common sense post and it worked.

If you get to the splash screen and your game crashes as the music would normally start just prior to bringing up character selection the do these easy steps -- I just got home from work, tried it 'normally' to see if it was fixed, it wasn't, did this and it worked on the first go.

**This is on a Win7 64-bit system

-> Go to your program directory and find 'launcher.exe'

-> right click-it, go to compatibility and change it to windows 7

-> run game

I hope this helps someone. If it works, repost it so others can see it since the idiots running the forums haven't listed this in their steps to resolve the issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above worked for me too. The compatability was set to windows XP, but I'm using windows 7. Gues that was the problem. But really they should come with a new patch, I should not be messing around in those files in the first place.

RaunchyRancor
04.04.2013 , 06:53 AM | #1492
Quote: Originally Posted by marqul View Post
Hi, I am not good with computers, much more with computer language. How do you go to your program directory or to the file launcher.exe. I am also having this issue and wants to try this workaround. Thank you.
These files are located wherever you've installed the game.
The default location is C:\Program Files\SWTOR or C:\program files(x86)\swtor if you're on 64bit windows.
Otherwise, you can find out where the file is located by rightclicking the shortcut you use to start the game and selecting 'properties'.

Open that folder in Windows Explorer, launcher.exe will be there. In addition, swtor.exe will be found within this folder under swtor\retailclient

treetorn
04.04.2013 , 07:00 AM | #1493
This worked for me.

-> run game
[I]The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural[/I]

From_Ariel
04.04.2013 , 07:41 AM | #1494
1.) Name of server: Begeren Colony
2.) Name of character(s) affected: ALL cannot select characters
3.) Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Crashes after login and clicking play every time.
4.) Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Have been unable to login at all. My screen settings were set to Fullscreen windowed. My roommate can still get in!

5.) DXDiag
Spoiler

7.)
Spoiler

8.) Crashes to desktop after doing login and clicking play. It begins to load up and while still in the loading screen crashes to desktop with no error message or explanation. Windows problem reporting then pops up. Am unable to even get to the character select or server select screens. Game never fully launches into the GUI.

I want a refund and/or credit for the lost time and frustration and hours spent trying to troubleshoot this!

Njordulfr
04.04.2013 , 08:01 AM | #1495
Quote: Originally Posted by treetorn View Post
This worked for me.

-> run game
This worked for me too. I've played for 3 hours and my game has not crashed.

WanderSturm
04.04.2013 , 08:20 AM | #1496
Quote: Originally Posted by THEREALWARGASM View Post
sadly.... this is the way its ending up for me as well..
And I was well
The Hand of Chaos

Slowball
04.04.2013 , 09:29 AM | #1497
I am blown away this is still screwed up.

Is anyone REALLY working on the issue?

livingdeadjedi
04.04.2013 , 10:13 AM | #1498
Quote: Originally Posted by Necrohammer View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by capennington View Post

Alright everyone -- stumbled across a common sense post and it worked.

If you get to the splash screen and your game crashes as the music would normally start just prior to bringing up character selection the do these easy steps -- I just got home from work, tried it 'normally' to see if it was fixed, it wasn't, did this and it worked on the first go.

-> run game

I hope this helps someone. If it works, repost it so others can see it since the idiots running the forums haven't listed this in their steps to resolve the issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above worked for me too. The compatability was set to windows XP, but I'm using windows 7. Gues that was the problem. But really they should come with a new patch, I should not be messing around in those files in the first place.
Tried this again just out of hope. It actually lasted a bit longer than 10 seconds this time I nearly thought it would work. Started to update the launcher, then after 1 minute BLAM "Only one instance of this program can run." Guess I just sit back now and wait for bioware to answer my email and tell me of a solution that works. Till then playing on my windows 8 laptop. Still I would like to see anyone who can't play atm getting some Cartel tokens to spend, as a gesture of good faith from the Devs once the login is fixed. <---- this is called good customer service care
May the Force be with You !

scobba
04.04.2013 , 10:16 AM | #1499
I Am on the Shadowlands server. I am still unable to log in. I can log in but i get the blue server screen with no server options shown. I have contacted support done everything they asked still nothing. I even uninstalled star wars last night and reinstalled same issue. I am running Windows 7. I am however able to log in with my laptop but the play is so slow, Is there anything you can do to fix this or anything else you can suggest that would allow me to play again. I already pre ordered the expansion and if this is not repaired by time it comes out i will not be able to play with all my friends. PLEASE any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

jonathanwesttt
04.04.2013 , 10:25 AM | #1500
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowball View Post
I am blown away this is still screwed up.

Is anyone REALLY working on the issue?
apparently they are not even looking at the forum's if they where it would be fixed by now i figured i would wate for the next patch n c if it was resolved a month is over kill on enough time to fix this bug/glitch but i still stand by what i sead in the first place roll back the patch tweak it test it test it some more n for the hell of it test it more then put it in open Bata to have the players test it n replace it live but u know 60 games going through the same BS means nothing y would thay listen to there players hell whats the forum's for if not to get the message to there divy team find bugs fix them ASAP n alls good but no thats not what this big gaming compiny is even concidering. I SAY TAKE RESPONCABILTY FOR *********** UP N FIX YOUR MISTAKES BIOWARE
just keeping it real get it done in the first day or remove it