Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nikerbop
03.02.2013 , 10:09 AM | #1111
I've been trying to find other posts, but this seems like teh best place. Updated the last patch and since then, I haven't even been able to get to the point of the character screen to come up.

1. Log in with authenticator.
2. Get the message everything is up to date.
3. Click Play.
4. Black screen pops up, which usually is followed with the character screen.
5. It shuts down on its own.

I have used the repair tool, and tried it again. I have rebooted. I have run as Admin. No go. The only other thing that's changed is a Java 7.0.15 update. Could that possibly be a conflict? Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Char: All Characters
Server: The Prophecy of the Five
Dobhran, The Balance Maker

wylie-coyote
03.02.2013 , 11:51 AM | #1112
i tried out this fix and it seemed to work for me, if your running a quad core processor and experiencing crashing once you log into the game alt out of it and go to task manager and set the affinity to processor 0 and 1 only, this has seemed to solve my crashing issue at the minute anyway, haven't encountered anymore crashes . . yet.

HunDark
03.02.2013 , 12:54 PM | #1113
Name of server/ Begeren Colony
Name of character(s) Carll
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Daily. Everytime I log on now.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc./ Im not doing anything unusual. Ive got all my background programs off. Just goofing around playing my game, then BOOM. It crashes.

Your DXDiag in spoiler tags

Spoiler

This is the Reliability History. Just a snip of it. The full report has dozens of crashes as of recent and was a HUGE report. Btw, am I doing this right? The spoiler tags?

Spoiler

dimmidice
03.02.2013 , 01:14 PM | #1114
1. The Progenitor.
2. Raskallion.
3. 1 crash per hour or two played.
4. seems totally random, maybe more when typing.
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. yes, game disappears entirely.

Klarick
03.02.2013 , 01:39 PM | #1115
Quote: Originally Posted by harmonichonda View Post
Are we going to get refunded game time for this nonsense? I just built a new computer thinking perhaps my i5 2500k simply couldn't handle this game after 2 years of heavy overclocked. Now with an i7 3770k, still crashing to desktop. I feel incredibly let down having missed the gree event because my rig can handle everything on the market except for the one mmo I would like to play.

1. Server: Jedi Covenant
2. Character: ALL
3. Crash to desktop without any error message every warzone entrance and space mission conclusion, frequently crashes to desktop without error message upon game launch.
dxdiag is apparently too long to post on these forums. That's cool too
The wife and I are also on Jedi Covenant. You are not alone. There are many threads concerning this issue with thousands of customers involved. However, one individual has assured me that from Australia he see's no issue. The common fix seems to revolve around all us calling our ISP's to ask if they would reroute the worlds internet so we can play SWTOR. I tried their suggestion. My ISP is still having a fun time with that one.

Logic simply tells us that the issue is Bioware's. Maybe they need to move their server locations. Or, maybe they should call the major carriers and ask them why thousands of their customers struggle to play their game. There's just too many of us, from all around the world, with hundredds of different ISP's involved, having the exact same issue, for it to be anything but a server problem.

FYI: The wife and I used to play SWTOR with absolutly no lag or interruptions until patch 1.4 or 1.5. That's when the developers introduced Major instability to their game. I have no idea how or what happened but it is a strange coincedence that so many of us started having these gamebreaking issues right about the exact same time.

Logic is poison to those hiding the truth.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Zondar
03.02.2013 , 01:41 PM | #1116

1. Shadowlands
2. All Charactors
3. Since sometime in 2012 I would CTD every 8 to 9 hours (i can handle that). Now since the recent patches of 2013 im dropping to desktop in about 3 to 5 hours. On my backup pc i cant stay on more 50 mins.

4. seems to happen after i zone to another location like fleet to ship, ship to planet or changing to a new toon.

Spoiler

6. No errors seem to be generated. Have seen no red circles with white 'X' in them.

7. I go straight to desktop dont pass GO dont collect $200. Ive had my pc looked at and harddrive is ok, vid card ok, ram ok. When SWTOR first started i could stay on as long as i wanted. If this cant be corrected im going to have to cancel my SUB and move to another game. This problem is intolerable.

kilsall
03.02.2013 , 06:49 PM | #1117
Jedi Covenant
Kilsallv
Once
Re-maximizing from minimized
Spoiler

Spoiler

this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.

OwenBrooks
03.02.2013 , 08:07 PM | #1118
Quote: Originally Posted by nikerbop View Post
I've been trying to find other posts, but this seems like teh best place. Updated the last patch and since then, I haven't even been able to get to the point of the character screen to come up.

1. Log in with authenticator.
2. Get the message everything is up to date.
3. Click Play.
4. Black screen pops up, which usually is followed with the character screen.
5. It shuts down on its own.

I have used the repair tool, and tried it again. I have rebooted. I have run as Admin. No go. The only other thing that's changed is a Java 7.0.15 update. Could that possibly be a conflict? Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Try editing the client_setings file as detailed here http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...php?t=498597#4

OwenBrooks
03.02.2013 , 08:14 PM | #1119
The only thing I can see is your video card does not meet the minimum requirements
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB minimum is 256mb

Quote: Originally Posted by HunDark View Post
Name of server/ Begeren Colony
Name of character(s) Carll
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Daily. Everytime I log on now.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc./ Im not doing anything unusual. Ive got all my background programs off. Just goofing around playing my game, then BOOM. It crashes.

Your DXDiag in spoiler tags

Spoiler

This is the Reliability History. Just a snip of it. The full report has dozens of crashes as of recent and was a HUGE report. Btw, am I doing this right? The spoiler tags?

Spoiler

KostonxEld
03.03.2013 , 12:47 AM | #1120
Can't believe this is still an issue! I did the 3gb switch thing someone posted about an it worked ok for me but that doesn't change the fact that they messed up something big in 1.4 and have yet to address it or even try a fix. I still crash to desktop but instead of the 1-2 hours I got prior to the "fix" I get maybe 5-6 hours in. Before I couldn't log off 1 char and try to log in another without crashing.

They messed up something to do with ram usage in 1.4, didn't tell anyone about it and just let us languish like this for months now. Pathetic waste this thread and "post your info here to help us figure out problem"!!! We see the problem, it is completely repeatable and no fix yet!!!
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!