Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

mefit's Avatar


mefit
11.01.2012 , 08:00 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
This is something I never understood. With a book, you can't focus on background things, as it'd distract from the story, leaving readers to be jarred. However with a movie, you see things, just simple things in the background, you probably won't notice them until you've watched it several more times. Like for example, when Luke first arrives in Mos Eisley, can you imagine a book going to length to describe what was going on? No, it's ridiculous as it'd distract from the plot too much, if it does distract like that, then it's a **** book.

However, in the movie, you see it all, all these things going on, yet the story still happens, yet for that brief second, you glimpsed the magical things that are placed everywhere. Subtle, simple, yet there. Movies > Books for things like that. You can't subtle describe a scene completely in a book, hence why descriptions are brief and vague when it comes to books, unless it's describing something that is either small, simple or easily describable.
Movies = Short versions of the larger story
Books = Everything from side Details , more story , and beyond

Ofcourse you need patience , imagination, a quiet room , and love of reading to truely enjoy the Books .
I like there are books but it usually takes me 100x longer to read one than the worst readers on the planet because I have kids now that do not understand Daddy needs his own space for atleast 1hr a day ! Just never happens anymore
Give a Man a Mask and he'll become his true self

LegacyBroken's Avatar


LegacyBroken
11.01.2012 , 08:05 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
Most likely EU will become the STANDARD and the films will be put in the back when it comes to Canon , like how it is for DC and Marvel .
To be honest , it might not happen today or anyday soon but it won't be long before Marvel takes over the Comic side of EU .
I really Doubt Disney is going to outsource EU Comics to another Company when they own one of the Two Comic Power Houses ...........Marvel ! This does not mean Marvel will do it better or worse , that will be yet to be seen . I think Darkhorse did a good Job in my opinion !

So its not a coffin , but it might be a rewrite of the EU Lore and Story.
As I said before , Luke being married to Mara Jade is likely now the TOP Canon now ! To be honest this is the reason I am happy Lucas is out the way , now the series can grow and G-Canon will no longer stop it !
I think that would be the best approach and the approach I hope they go with. Then they can sucessfully merge everything together into one firm canonical continuity where everything coexists.

LordHartigan's Avatar


LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 08:30 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
It seems Disney intends to take forward Episode 7 with a new storyline. I think this is good news, there will be less of a feeling that a dead horse is being flogged, and hopefully not too many geriatric ex- star wars actors turning up.

Although I can see Mark Hamill coming back as the new Obi Wan Kenobi role.

What is also good news, is that the ridiculous post ROTJ books will not be made into films. Star Wars is the films, for better or for worse, and devaluing the product to make more money by releasing all these books and comics, is a sad reality of the modern world. We don't need to compound this by turning them into films.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.
Wrong on two levels. One the most recent interview I've seen suggest the next trilogy will be at least somewhat based on Lucas' original treatments of episode 7-9. It will not be a reboot. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/...u-george-lucas

Secondly you aren't going to find many in agreement that the EU is some bastardization of the Star Wars universe. Not even Lucas himself I would suspect. Isn't really anything that is not the movies essentially EU including this very website you are posting on devoted to a game in the universe that is not the movies? What it seems you are saying is no other stories in this universe in any other media format should have ever existed. Why, few are going to understand. Even Lucas himself. We all know how controlling he is over the Star Wars universe, but if he had not intended for anyone else to be able to expand upon his creation the EU would indeed not exist and nothing at all outside of the movies would exist.

DirtyDusty's Avatar


DirtyDusty
11.01.2012 , 08:32 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
Most likely EU will become the STANDARD and the films will be put in the back when it comes to Canon , like how it is for DC and Marvel .
To be honest , it might not happen today or anyday soon but it won't be long before Marvel takes over the Comic side of EU .
I really Doubt Disney is going to outsource EU Comics to another Company when they own one of the Two Comic Power Houses ...........Marvel ! This does not mean Marvel will do it better or worse , that will be yet to be seen . I think Darkhorse did a good Job in my opinion !

So its not a coffin , but it might be a rewrite of the EU Lore and Story.
As I said before , Luke being married to Mara Jade is likely now the TOP Canon now ! To be honest this is the reason I am happy Lucas is out the way , now the series can grow and G-Canon will no longer stop it !
When i was a kid Marvel used to do Star Wars comics. Wish i still had them.

LordHartigan's Avatar


LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 08:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
This is something I never understood. With a book, you can't focus on background things, as it'd distract from the story, leaving readers to be jarred. However with a movie, you see things, just simple things in the background, you probably won't notice them until you've watched it several more times. Like for example, when Luke first arrives in Mos Eisley, can you imagine a book going to length to describe what was going on? No, it's ridiculous as it'd distract from the plot too much, if it does distract like that, then it's a **** book.

However, in the movie, you see it all, all these things going on, yet the story still happens, yet for that brief second, you glimpsed the magical things that are placed everywhere. Subtle, simple, yet there. Movies > Books for things like that. You can't subtle describe a scene completely in a book, hence why descriptions are brief and vague when it comes to books, unless it's describing something that is either small, simple or easily describable.
It's really interesting to see a new generation (and I'm not even that old) of people consider that books (pictureless ones anyway) are somehow a lower art form than film. The setting and background of book story is not limited by lack of visuals. It is limited by a lack of imagination.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
11.01.2012 , 08:45 AM | #16
there is a point where you have given too much information

This is that point

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader

an entire book about Darth Vader's Glove

MooseRamshackel's Avatar


MooseRamshackel
11.01.2012 , 08:48 AM | #17
I think everyone here is missing the big picture here. and to the person who said reboots are scum of the earth. Han solo was scum so was boba fett. jaba the hutt. all scum. so in that way yeah they are great. transformers great. Star trek great. casino royal, the amazing spiderman about a billion times better then spiderman 1 thru 3. 21 jump street.

All that is besides the point. What everyone is missing. is we get brand new star wars. brand new. not something that we have seen or read about before but something we get to see for the first time a new story line. we knew how revenge of the sith was going to end. which is why we were not surprised i bet if he mad ethem in order we would have **** ourselves when anikin turned evil.

but now we get to go past jedi. finally. with a movie and story no one on earth knows whats going to happen. its where no man has gone before all over again. get excisted get ****in pumped. just thinking about it makes me want to go pay 2000 dollars of my hard earned money for authentic jedi wear i dont know why dont ask questions but it does. be happy, cause as far as fans go, star wars fans are the most deprived out of all fans and they ***** the most. and we have just been told. we are getting our fix. a fix big enough to od on in the bathroom with doors locked and big ****in smiles on our faces.

MooseRamshackel's Avatar


MooseRamshackel
11.01.2012 , 08:52 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHartigan View Post
It's really interesting to see a new generation (and I'm not even that old) of people consider that books (pictureless ones anyway) are somehow a lower art form than film. The setting and background of book story is not limited by lack of visuals. It is limited by a lack of imagination.
agreed

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
11.01.2012 , 09:06 AM | #19
This is far from "a nail in the coffin". If anything it's going to open the hole in the ground, the casket and the corpse to allow fans of the Star Wars novels an even larger universe. There may be ties to bind, but it's doable.

Not much of a reader myself, but having the imagination the novels offer, only adds life to the movies.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

Sweetiepies's Avatar


Sweetiepies
11.01.2012 , 09:27 AM | #20
Not so much a nail in the coffin, but a kick to the side.

The current "established" (I use established as loosely as I can) post ROTJ cannon is just not a matter of cannon anymore. It is now just a different set of stories. Like how in Marvel you have the Age of Apocalypse timeline, and the Days of the Futures Past timeline, and The Ultimate universe. It doesn't remove those books from existence, it just makes them their own "timeline".

People just have to get over the whole THIS IS CANNON! thing. The only person that can establish cannon is the current person/people in charge. There is a good chance that they will take things they like that already exist in the EU and mesh them in with the things they want to create.