Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

Beniboybling
11.03.2012 , 03:01 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by Linkdavinque View Post
The new movie stuff is exciting...even for me who did see the orginal trilogy in theaters. We have to remember its not just our generation or now even the episode 1-3 generation, but future generations that will get to see and experience all the magic we had when we were young, and for some of us still do today

So when the time comes, just sit back, relax and enjoy the trip to a galaxy far far away.
Agreed, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever they make and finally get a chance to experience Star Wars on the big screen for the first time!

Captain_Zone
11.03.2012 , 04:17 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Linkdavinque View Post
First off, the Thrawn Trilogy is one of the best SW EU period. If it wasn't we'd not all be here talking and playing SWTOR. It was the first new SW product siince the droids/Ewok stuff. It might have sold well regardless, but if Heir to the Empire wasn't as good as it was then the other books would not have sold as well. SInce they all did do well it opened the door for new merch and new movies and games.

Also EU books are good because when we read them we hear the characters voices and can picture what they look like in our mind, because the movies showed us. If we did not have that to start from, most of them would prob not be as good as they are to us.

The new movie stuff is exciting...even for me who did see the orginal trilogy in theaters. We have to remember its not just our generation or now even the episode 1-3 generation, but future generations that will get to see and experience all the magic we had when we were young, and for some of us still do today

So when the time comes, just sit back, relax and enjoy the trip to a galaxy far far away.
Agreed. The Thrawn Trilogy was the first full series of non-movie based novels I read for Star Wars. I can only hope that the new Episode VII doesn't make that whole trilogy pointless. And if it does, it better do so in a way that makes us forget that The Thrawn Trilogy would have made a helluva movie series.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

jarjarloves
11.03.2012 , 05:30 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Agreed. The Thrawn Trilogy was the first full series of non-movie based novels I read for Star Wars. I can only hope that the new Episode VII doesn't make that whole trilogy pointless. And if it does, it better do so in a way that makes us forget that The Thrawn Trilogy would have made a helluva movie series.
the clone wars and the prequels have already invalidated the Thrawn Trilogy. Look at all the contradictions in it now.

Captain_Zone
11.03.2012 , 11:41 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
the clone wars and the prequels have already invalidated the Thrawn Trilogy. Look at all the contradictions in it now.
You mean besides the account of the Clone Wars that was kept as an S-Canon rumor due to the fact that anyone witnessing the actual attack by clone troopers on the Jedi, without knowing of Order 66 would see them as insane? That was pretty much it. The actual storyline in The Thrawn Trilogy is still considered C-Canon.
. OPOD

Scathe
11.04.2012 , 12:26 AM | #135
Again, the only reason why the Thrawn trilogy has all the contradictions it does is because it was written before any of the events of the Clone Wars were made canon. At that point, Zahn was guessing what was happening, and even in the 10th anniversary of Heir to the Empire, Zahn says that Lucas made him change a lot in that book, and in the trilogy, to better fit the movies. And it's still a contradiction, because Lucas changed his mind on a couple of points (Or didn't tell the author what was really going to happen).

So really, it's still Canon, it just got some facts wrong.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Karkais
11.04.2012 , 02:51 AM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The New StarTrek Movie was not a REBOOT , I think someone already stated this .........................
Do not blame the Movie for your weaknesses , It was stated from start of the Movie to the end . At the begining of the movie it showed Time being changed by Nero who was seeking Revenge for his Planet being Destroyed . It also featured Original Spock and his Younger self .
If altering timestream and coming up with a future where the original trek things never happened is not a reboot, then what is? Unless you are saying they don't intend to continue on that.. Which would be great btw.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

jarjarloves
11.04.2012 , 07:05 AM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
You mean besides the account of the Clone Wars that was kept as an S-Canon rumor due to the fact that anyone witnessing the actual attack by clone troopers on the Jedi, without knowing of Order 66 would see them as insane? That was pretty much it. The actual storyline in The Thrawn Trilogy is still considered C-Canon.
1. The entire cloning technique. ie the force affects clones and so fourth
2. cloning jedi -not cannon does not happen
3. Luuke skywalker
4. no sith after vader and the emperor are killed (so no master C'boath )
5. The entire Nogrhi story doesn't happen. (we know where Anakin is during the clone wars)
6. The Katana fleet doesn't exist.
7. The idea that there was a Sith lord guarding the Mountain on Wayland.
and those are just off the top of my head. If I actually sat down and thought about I could find many more.

jarjarloves
11.04.2012 , 07:09 AM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Scathe View Post
Again, the only reason why the Thrawn trilogy has all the contradictions it does is because it was written before any of the events of the Clone Wars were made canon. At that point, Zahn was guessing what was happening, and even in the 10th anniversary of Heir to the Empire, Zahn says that Lucas made him change a lot in that book, and in the trilogy, to better fit the movies. And it's still a contradiction, because Lucas changed his mind on a couple of points (Or didn't tell the author what was really going to happen).

So really, it's still Canon, it just got some facts wrong.
oh I know it's because it was written before. But that's part of the point. When Lucas made the Prequels and the Clone Wars he doesn't care about the Post ROTJ EU and because of that a lot of stuff that was considered canon became non canon.

People like to think the Thrawn Trilogy is still canon because it is the best EU book out there, but if you really take a look at what has changed then there is no way it could be considered canon.

Now given that they say that Episode 7 will be a new story not based on anything in the EU and given Lucas didn't care about the EU when he made the Prequels and the Clone Wars what makes you think Disney is going to care about it?

Now I could see them taking some characters from the Eu and adding them in new stories ie make Thrawn a major vilian in the new series but they won't make the Thrawn Trilogy they will give him a new story. Just like they did with the Marvel movies.

Beniboybling
11.04.2012 , 07:27 AM | #139
Now I could see them taking some characters from the Eu and adding them in new stories ie make Thrawn a major vilian in the new series but they won't make the Thrawn Trilogy they will give him a new story. Just like they did with the Marvel movies.
TBH, I think this is a good idea. Tons of people want the Thrawn trilogy to be adapted into film, but that isn't going to happen. But Thrawn (I know next to nothing about him) seems like a cool character, and a supervillain with a bit of background to him which will make it more appealing to fans. And seeing as the trilogy has already been dislodged by the prequels, why not push it the whole way give him a new story. Lots of people won't like that, but if its done well Thrawn will be given a proper, top-canon place in the universe and his own cinematic, can't really complain about that. They can also introduce characters like Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn, which seem like great characters. Lucas has already drawn from the EU to make his films, don't see why it can't be done again.

Captain_Zone
11.04.2012 , 11:00 AM | #140
1. The entire cloning technique. ie the force affects clones and so fourth
2. cloning jedi -not cannon does not happen
3. Luuke skywalker
4. no sith after vader and the emperor are killed (so no master C'boath )
5. The entire Nogrhi story doesn't happen. (we know where Anakin is during the clone wars)
6. The Katana fleet doesn't exist.
7. The idea that there was a Sith lord guarding the Mountain on Wayland.
and those are just off the top of my head. If I actually sat down and thought about I could find many more.
1, 2, and 3. So TFU is N-Canon, then? No Cloned Jedi, and The Force doesn't affect Clones. Right? You just said the TFU storyline was G-Canon. Oops. Have a nice trip?
4. Joruus C'Baoth was an insane Jedi Clone, NOT a Sith. refer to the above.
5. Takes place after TCW, and you know it. He was DARTH VADER when he made the pact with the Noghri. Now you're just lying.
6. "Not mentioned" doesn't mean "didn't happen". You know that as well.
7. No proof that it was a "Sith Lord". It could have been another insane Jedi Clone. Joruus C'Baoth was insane. Take a step back and look at it objectively instead of seeing what you want to see.

You really forgot the words of wisdom that Obi-Wan gave Luke Skywalker on Dagobah in Return of the Jedi: "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view." However, you just got caught in two outright lies. Do everyone a favor and stop, already.
. OPOD