Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'll Try Again, Hi Guys, I'm New!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
I'll Try Again, Hi Guys, I'm New!

TheBBP
10.31.2012 , 04:41 PM | #21
REPUBLIC!

Trooper is where it is at.
REPUBLIC TROOPERS
Crosswire - Heavy GunnerElíta-one - Combat Medic
Canonball - Pointman

Ebon Hawk

vian
10.31.2012 , 04:45 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Deconstructer View Post
Lol. But all my friends played imperial. I'm always a good guy whenever I make a character in an RPG, I wanna be the bad guy for a change
Welcome, first of all.

You know, you could always be a Sith Warrior for the saber, but make all Light Side choices; you can be the good guy, AND the bad guy. Best of both worlds.
Two blasters; no waiting!

LordDakir
10.31.2012 , 04:48 PM | #23
Do not believe that Republic is good and Empire is bad. It is the difference between US and Russia some people are good some people are bad. But the Republic military's officers can be pretty evil too and Empire decisions can sometimes be considered good. This is the beauty of this game. Good and Evil are not what they seem.

Darth_Bond
10.31.2012 , 04:59 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
If you like stealthing around like a rogue, being melee, or healing, go Operative.
If you like being ranged, go sniper.

If you're considering doing end game raid content, you'd have an easier time getting a spot as a sniper rather than an operative dps, though healers are always in short supply.

I thought snipers were overall more fun than operative. The cover mechanic is a little hard to get used to at first.
guess again, there is an overpopulation of healers

i havent been able to get a consistent raid spot despite being a skilled and geared healer since i came back to TOR almost 2 months ago..iv tried many different guilds, they all promise a spot but thats just lip service
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

ThrillInstructor
10.31.2012 , 05:04 PM | #25
All Imperial classes have different 'tones'.

IA arguably has the most 'adult' story. It is, however, not a very hero-like 'profession' and lacks a certain amount of flair. You are a highly skilled and highly trained individual but you will get little to no recognition and fame for your actions.
Many overlook the bounty hunter who is a little like a 'space cowboy'. An extra advantage is that he/she can be played as a ranged DD, tank or healer.
The inquisitor's story is a little childish and one-dimensional in my opinion. As the class representing famous templates like the Emperor from the movies there just isn't this certain aura of evil present in it. 'The power of the dark side' turns out to be little more than a simple ghost story. Cool char to play though, but very disappointing story-wise.
The Sith Warrior gives you the opportunity to either play a Vader-like villain or an honorable fighter type. Personally, I didn't like the fact that almost to the very end you play little more than a brawny lackey with some puppet master pulling your strings all the time......but wielding two light sabers while making impossible long-distance jumps at enemies DOES look very, very cool indeed sometimes......
"Game not broken! Is feature!"

happysister
10.31.2012 , 05:31 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
guess again, there is an overpopulation of healers

i havent been able to get a consistent raid spot despite being a skilled and geared healer since i came back to TOR almost 2 months ago..iv tried many different guilds, they all promise a spot but thats just lip service
which server do you play on? >_> my healers always get insta-ques when i use the GF, and people are always shouting for healers more than any other class type on my server.

to the OP: welcome! i haven't exactly got very far on my IA yet (still on the capital planet) but it's ok so far. it hasn't exactly grabbed me like other class quests have atm, but i guess i still have a ways to go. though i must say, i really enjoy my sorc's story. the characters you meet are far more interesting imo.
Lorhin - Sharpshooter Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel

Icebergy
10.31.2012 , 05:33 PM | #27
In terms of the best story lines, the order is:

1. Agent
2. Jedi Knight
3. Sith Warrior
4. Smuggler
5. Republic Trooper
6. Bounty Hunter
7. Jedi Consular
8. Sith Inquisitor

I have finished them all except BH.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 5/10 HM
Jedi Covenant

VigDiath
10.31.2012 , 06:06 PM | #28
Another thing to consider aside from story is how you like to play your character and whether you will be doing any PVP. The ranged characters in this game are fun but I love the melee action better being up front and personal in all of my confrontations. My first toon was a Shadow and I loved how I could knock someone over with a kick and we had all these cool moves. Ranged characters lose out on that a bit especially if they are more useful at a ranged position when fighting.

That aside the story is very important. IA has a good story and has some pretty cool moves (annoying if you're opposite them in pvp) and great for dps or healing.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Darth_Bond
11.02.2012 , 09:02 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
which server do you play on? >_> my healers always get insta-ques when i use the GF, and people are always shouting for healers more than any other class type on my server.

to the OP: welcome! i haven't exactly got very far on my IA yet (still on the capital planet) but it's ok so far. it hasn't exactly grabbed me like other class quests have atm, but i guess i still have a ways to go. though i must say, i really enjoy my sorc's story. the characters you meet are far more interesting imo.
if your definition of a spot in a raid is gf, then i suppose there is a great need for healers! but i wouldnt consider gf flashpoints to be content. atleast not if i want to do some decent bit of raiding

by that logic, dps are not needed or welcome
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

imnotawitch
11.02.2012 , 09:10 AM | #30
Just a heads up, the common story rankings are NOT universal. I have a level 47 operative and a level 50 sorcerer, and I cannot adequately describe in my mere grasp of language how much more I enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor story. I don't want to spoil you for either story, but just because everyone, their mother, and their mother's cat loved the IA story doesn't mean you will too.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*