Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Self heal...self heal

JacksonMo
11.06.2012 , 01:50 PM | #21
Just an observation. The people who tend to not self heal, and expect the healer to simply heal them through any damage are the "experienced" players.
For that very reason, I actually prefer, at times, a group of scruffy under-geared newbs.
They are far more teachable, and less arrogant.

Xiij
11.06.2012 , 01:57 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
I'm finding this thread to be uncharacteristically full of bad advice. While flashpoints may be easy for some of us, there are just as many that they are difficult for. These are not by any means "Bad Players", they're just simply more inexperienced with MMOs, gaming, or their particular role, and therefore have to work a little harder. Dismissing all complaints as ridiculous and going on a tirade about how easy everything is doesn't help these people.

Anyway.

When I'm grouped as a healer and people aren't self-healing after battles, first I make sure how much it's by. If they're only missing a tiny sliver of their health bar, then just toss them a quick heal if you feel it's necessary and then heal yourself to regenerate your resource. If they're missing a quarter of the bar or more, that's a problem. Go to a three-warning system. First warning, remind them to self heal. It could be that they've just forgotten. Second warning, remind them a bit more strongly. Third warning, tell them to remember to heal outside of combat or you can't guarantee their safety inside of combat. After that, if they continue to do it, then let them die on a couple of fights and then remind them why they're dying.
This is exactly what I do, I have two healer alts. It's less of a problem now that they are pretty geared but still, I'm more likely to give heals first to someone who isn't intentionally making my job harder.

Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
Ran into this once with my own GM one time. Not healing and running ahead with the speed boost shadows get, and start the next fight at half health while I was running to catch up.
Had to scold him not to get so far ahead. Can't heal someone who's out of range. Even using Disappearing act to break combat was only marginally helpful. We got it done, mostly because we are both over geared. But also because he listened.
Teamwork.
It's just common courtesy.
It happens. I have a few guild members who do stuff like this too. I'll give them a warning then not heal them like the other person said. I do get a few "Xiij ***, why didn't you heal me", but they seem to feel a bit less neglected when I remind them that they ran into battle with 50% hp.

To wrap up here, in my opinion, HM FP's are "practice" for ops (yes they are much easier, but if you can't master the mechanics of a FP have fun getting mechanics in an op). Would you ever start an op fight with low health? Probably not. Why start a FP encounter with low HP? The only viable excuse I can think of is someone pulled on accident.
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
[W]e really shouldn't feed trolls. They are like stray cats. Once you feed them once they come back. When you continue to feed them, they grow in numbers.

Chaqen
11.06.2012 , 04:45 PM | #23
I think overall this thread is filled with healers that span across the spectrum of player skill/gear and hence why there is so much disagreement about different things.

At the top of the spectrum a healer will want to minimize downtime as much as possible, as well as killing the trash encounters as quick as possible. This usually means very little to no CC is wanted, as well as constant movement between the trash pulls. There is never a need to stop and regen resources because resource management is second nature for the healer. Majority of the time someone healing at this level will find things to be rather easy, and boring.

At the far end of the spectrum you will find healers that will burn through their resources before a fight ends. They wll struggle healing more then a single target at a time. They will CC on every single pull, and will still struggle to keep people alive. The tank will need to use their CDs at an excessive rate to survive.

The majority of people on these forums are most likely somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, with a few people on the top and a few people on the bottom. The thing to remember is that everyone is on a different skill level, and will require/want different things from their group members to make things as stress/annoyance free as possible (please remember that someone will be annoyed having to play below their skill level, while feeling stressed to play at a level above them).

Cleet_Xia
11.06.2012 , 06:32 PM | #24
In reference to the OP:

Players not using their out of combat heal between fights, is just rude and lazy. I fully agree. But, in most cases though it's more time efficient to heal a player who is only down by 10-15%, and gain back the regen on the way to the next pull.

You don't need a full resource bar for 90% of the trash fights, even in a HM. But teams that pull bosses while their healer is recovering resource ~ get what they deserve.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

JacksonMo
11.07.2012 , 04:14 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaqen View Post
I think overall this thread is filled with healers that span across the spectrum of player skill/gear and hence why there is so much disagreement about different things.

At the top of the spectrum a healer will want to minimize downtime as much as possible, as well as killing the trash encounters as quick as possible. This usually means very little to no CC is wanted, as well as constant movement between the trash pulls. There is never a need to stop and regen resources because resource management is second nature for the healer. Majority of the time someone healing at this level will find things to be rather easy, and boring.

At the far end of the spectrum you will find healers that will burn through their resources before a fight ends. They wll struggle healing more then a single target at a time. They will CC on every single pull, and will still struggle to keep people alive. The tank will need to use their CDs at an excessive rate to survive.

The majority of people on these forums are most likely somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, with a few people on the top and a few people on the bottom. The thing to remember is that everyone is on a different skill level, and will require/want different things from their group members to make things as stress/annoyance free as possible (please remember that someone will be annoyed having to play below their skill level, while feeling stressed to play at a level above them).
In addition to the range of player skill and gear, you also have a wide range of difficulty in fights. As well as mechanics.
Certain boss fights seem to cause way more wipes than others. How many times have I had groups wipe on the last boss on Teral V? People simply do not understand that line of sight does not work on the turrets, and dragging the boss under the stairs creates more LOS issues for the healer than it does the adds.
It's a straight tank-n-spank, Tank keeps the boss busy while DPS focuses the adds down.
Can't remember the last time I had a wipe doing it like that.
Under the stairs? Nearly every time, at least once.
Another popular wipe would be the last pull right before that. Not because its that hard, but because so many try to sneak past the patrolling droid, instead of just killing it. There again, an easy fight made hard by the players themselves.
By comparison, Ironfist on the Esseles actually IS a difficult fight, regardless of gear, if the tank/dps fail to interupt his head-shot.

TheSkate
11.27.2012 , 02:25 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
This would get you voted kicked and immediately put on my ignore list.

As for the OP, perhaps you should...I am just spit balling here...do your job and heal them? I really don't understand what your issue is. It is your job to keep people alive. If you are running out of resources between pulls, ask them to slow down so you can regen.
My issue is I have been in FP where everyone is standing around for a sec and dumb asses want me to heal them instead of them using their self heal. Another issue is IF I do heal said dumb *** then tank dumb *** pull again before I have full force/energy back. Then they ***** because someone died when fight started with me at only 1/2 or less energy/force . At that point I just add mentioned dumb asses to /ignore list and leave group
"Blah blah blah, yackity smackity, and a nice cold glass of orange juice"
Hugh Tasmanian Devil

wetslampigduex
11.27.2012 , 02:41 PM | #27
i don't understand the issue... i too just finished lvling a smuggler healer and i do not remember having one issue until red reaper(noob dps and "tank" pull the first 3 mobs all at once and then the tank holds aggro on 1 mob while 15 more instakill me about 8 times in a row, the only time i rage quit in my life). Honestly you should have to throw the tank maybe 1 extra heal after combat is finished and everyone should be a full health. Those low lvl FP's you can easily keep everyone at full heath with just your HoT's and diagnostic scan. My opinion lazy healer being lazy.

And even being a healer and not being the one who pulled the group chance are 9/10 times your going to tank the majority of the adds b/c most tanks are oblivious.

hunterraaze
11.27.2012 , 09:38 PM | #28
Well, ftp just went live. I'm sure that is the overall cause of your issues. I'm not taking about returning players, i'm talking about the ones who are playing this game and don't know what a jedi is, or at level 19 and haven't chosen an AC yet (yes, this happens). Good luck.
"Well, if people would make it more about me, I wouldn't have to"
~Iryllia

uniz
11.30.2012 , 02:56 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by hunterraaze View Post
Well, ftp just went live. I'm sure that is the overall cause of your issues. I'm not taking about returning players, i'm talking about the ones who are playing this game and don't know what a jedi is, or at level 19 and haven't chosen an AC yet (yes, this happens). Good luck.
no it isnt the cause. this was a month before it went live. it is the subscribing player base.

the cause is over geared players in a rush to complete content. for myself i have played the hms way before black hole and campaign gear was even a idea. survival meant to heal up after each encounter and to cc. granted there was a few people in full rataka gear but even then they didn't play this poorly. a death then cost about 8-10k credits each or more if better geared. people just didn't tolerate stupid nor wanted to group with them again. the lfd now gives stupid a group and the op is just tired of dealing with them.

Marcaunon
12.06.2012 , 07:31 AM | #30
Hi

I'm not sure what level you are or what your exact experience have been.

But I've seen a lot of the same things with my healers.
But generally my feeling is players just don't know better.
Lots of people in the game are quite new I find and don't have much experience.
Also many people play dps classes first which means they have little to no understanding of how a group should work. I mean some people doesn't even read chat it seems when you try to tell them something

But I must say as you level up things improve dramatically!
My sorc is now lvl 39 and at this point people would even say sorry if they break cc.

In anycase people don't learn by magic so its the task of primarily us healers to teach people how to be better:
1. Focus fire (everyone shooting the same target makes a massive difference)
2. don't break CC's
3. don't run into a fight at 30% health
4. For the tank to not run away from the healer.

At lower levels I found my sorc needed alot more time to recharge power.
Because I had so little that I used it all quite quickly if having to heal all the time.
Later this gets better and its much easier to just keep running on.

Otherwise if people really irritate you for being dumb then leave group and ignore them.
The game will never put you in group with somebody you ignored

There are tons of very very good players around I found. Especially people in there 2nd/3rd characters.
No need to spoil your game time with fools. Afterall its a game, you should be having fun