Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Self heal...self heal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Self heal...self heal

grallmate
11.01.2012 , 04:29 PM | #11
Challenging or not, there are "best practices" while grouping. If you're low, healing and waiting to regen between pulls is one of them. Waiting for the tank to pull is another as is not breaking CC. I honestly don't care how good you are at healing (or DPS), if you aren't doing those things I don't want to group with you and you are a bad PLAYER.

On another note, the highest incoming damage in most instances isn't the bosses, but rather the trash. This is compounded when multiple targets are taking damage, not just the tank.

@OP: If you're levelling a Scoundrel or Op healer in the 25-30 level range, I feel sorry for you. That is by far the worst point for them ESPECIALLY if you get a group like that. On the plus side, at 30 (and again at 31) it gets much much easier. I'm sure Commando/Merc has a similar "dead zone" when levelling but I don't remember having one on my Sage. Definitely got easier as I levelled but it wasn't noticeably tough at any point.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

ErosGyne
11.01.2012 , 05:33 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
Spoken like a CC breaking, undergeared DPS, or would that be a charge ahead and skip everything and wonder why the group wipes Tank?
Seriously. This is exactly the attitude the OP was talking about.
For your info i am a healer

JacksonMo
11.02.2012 , 08:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ErosGyne View Post
For your info i am a healer
Wish you would proofread before you hit send. Painful.
A healer who breaks CC for kicks? Pass.

AshlaBoga
11.04.2012 , 12:04 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ufarax View Post
Why won't players self heal. I am currently leveling my operative. Tried boarding party yesterday, had to bail 3 times. Players going into battle at half health. And when they die they ask "where is the healer". I've had it. I now explain my rules of healing, and if they don't follow them...I leave. It's not just the self healing, there is a lack of crowd control. Very few tanks will take the lead...and mark cc's. And some DPS will break them. What the heck is going on?
Honestly, I find people who don't self-heal don't play healers often. Here's a suggestion, friend people who play all 3 roles of the Holy Trinity. My primary's a healer, my secondary's a tank and I've got 3 dps. I find it makes me more considerate if I can relate to any issues someone is having - like when someone CCs a mob BEFORE the tank gets his Death From Above off (ugh that hurts dps).
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Chaqen
11.04.2012 , 05:37 PM | #15
I have given up healing random pugs anymore, but when i did heal them i would tell the tank that i could heal them through anything, as long as they could keep the majority of the agro. 90% of the time the tank would ask for CC on about half of the pulls, and i would find myself tossing hots on them and then alt tabbing for 10 to 15 seconds at a time, due to complete boredom. There were other occasions where i decided i would dps while healing, but usually got *****ed at for pulling agro off the tank, or once again feel rather bored.

CCing reduces the amount of damage done to the group/tank...More damage that is reduced, less healing needs to be done...Less healing that needs to be done, more likely i will be bored as a healer.

I have played with some healers that dont like to heal, that will request a massive amount of CC for they are not challenged in any way and can continue to eat their hot pocket and play with one hand. If that how you choose to play so be it, but there is no sense in telling someone they are a horrible player because they like to have a challenge.

ErosGyne
11.05.2012 , 12:04 PM | #16
i too pass players like you, if you have to CC mobs on FPs(HM), i have done HM FP(have 5 alts, play all roles) without a tank, or a healer, the only time we ever have to CC mobs is when we go 4 dps.
FPs in the game are easy, if you find that hard , this game is not for you
This is not about self heals or CC break, etc, is about players that cant adapt to new circumstances during the fight and after try to put the blame on the rest of the group

learns to accept the opinion of others and stopped reporting people just because you dont like what you read

AiienTeer
11.06.2012 , 09:28 AM | #17
I'm newb here (first time playing TOR, around 20 lvl sorc/healer), but the most pissing moment for me is when I'm on the end of my force points, throw some heal and that guy just in the same moment (or second later) uses self heal. That's in combat.

Outside of it... well, if the group rushes away when I'm still regenerating my force points it is pissing, casue half of them is usually dead before I catch up. But I do not care if they heal themselves. It makes the game more interesting for healer if there is something to do outside of keeping the rest of the group at 100% health.

Mirdthestrill
11.06.2012 , 09:51 AM | #18
I'm finding this thread to be uncharacteristically full of bad advice. While flashpoints may be easy for some of us, there are just as many that they are difficult for. These are not by any means "Bad Players", they're just simply more inexperienced with MMOs, gaming, or their particular role, and therefore have to work a little harder. Dismissing all complaints as ridiculous and going on a tirade about how easy everything is doesn't help these people.

Anyway.

When I'm grouped as a healer and people aren't self-healing after battles, first I make sure how much it's by. If they're only missing a tiny sliver of their health bar, then just toss them a quick heal if you feel it's necessary and then heal yourself to regenerate your resource. If they're missing a quarter of the bar or more, that's a problem. Go to a three-warning system. First warning, remind them to self heal. It could be that they've just forgotten. Second warning, remind them a bit more strongly. Third warning, tell them to remember to heal outside of combat or you can't guarantee their safety inside of combat. After that, if they continue to do it, then let them die on a couple of fights and then remind them why they're dying.
I <3 alts!

DrewFromPhilly
11.06.2012 , 11:53 AM | #19
With my operative healer I normally just use my AOE heal between fights to top people off in hm fp or ops - its mobile, so i can cast it on them as we run to the next fight and it only has a 15 sec cd. Also, I always keep two kolto probes up on the tank and when they pop TA I can use a surgical probe on someone who needs it, or give them their own kolto probe. Both probes are mobile too and I don't have to stop to cast them.

I'm kind of obsessive about it when I'm healing though, and more often than not everyone is at or close to 100% after a fight especially in HM fp. When I'm on my dps in hmfp i often see healers casually let people slip past 50% health before firing off a meager heal, all the while dps'ing of course - not my style at all, if I'm there to heal that's what I'm gonna do.

JacksonMo
11.06.2012 , 01:39 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
I'm finding this thread to be uncharacteristically full of bad advice. While flashpoints may be easy for some of us, there are just as many that they are difficult for. These are not by any means "Bad Players", they're just simply more inexperienced with MMOs, gaming, or their particular role, and therefore have to work a little harder. Dismissing all complaints as ridiculous and going on a tirade about how easy everything is doesn't help these people.

Anyway.

When I'm grouped as a healer and people aren't self-healing after battles, first I make sure how much it's by. If they're only missing a tiny sliver of their health bar, then just toss them a quick heal if you feel it's necessary and then heal yourself to regenerate your resource. If they're missing a quarter of the bar or more, that's a problem. Go to a three-warning system. First warning, remind them to self heal. It could be that they've just forgotten. Second warning, remind them a bit more strongly. Third warning, tell them to remember to heal outside of combat or you can't guarantee their safety inside of combat. After that, if they continue to do it, then let them die on a couple of fights and then remind them why they're dying.
Ran into this once with my own GM one time. Not healing and running ahead with the speed boost shadows get, and start the next fight at half health while I was running to catch up.
Had to scold him not to get so far ahead. Can't heal someone who's out of range. Even using Disappearing act to break combat was only marginally helpful. We got it done, mostly because we are both over geared. But also because he listened.
Teamwork.
It's just common courtesy.