Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

/stuck in pvp do you consider it cheating?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
/stuck in pvp do you consider it cheating?

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
01.09.2013 , 04:08 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by PloGreen View Post
Ye its cheating.
unintended consequence of game mechanic =/= cheat

a simple solution would be for the system to check if you are in fact "stuck" before allowing the /stuck to be executed. that way if youre just trying to use it for a quick respawn, youll get a system message that says "you are not stuck at this time". but if you actually *do* get stuck, it would work like it normally does.
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
01.09.2013 , 04:51 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Exploiting a bug is considered cheating according to the TOS/EULA.
But you say everyone can do it, because the game was poorly coded.
Hence, it's a feature, rather than a bug, and therefore it's not cheating.

Ok, I can see your point, but lets take this one step further:

It is clearly the game's fault that we experience lag.
It is clearly the game's fault that client and server glitch when they go in-and-out of sync due to lag.
Everyone can take advantage of these glitches, hence it is not an exploit, but a feature.
Therefore, the use of lag switches should not be considered cheating.

By your logic, everything can be viewed as the "game's fault".
Therefore, cheating doesn't exist in SWTOR.

Come to think of it, that's exactly EAware's policy too....oh nevermind, maybe you are right afterall!
So you are saying that clicking a button that's a part of the game's interface is cheating the same way that using a 3rd party lag switch is cheating?

Take a few minutes and just think about what you are even saying.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Totaltrash's Avatar


Totaltrash
01.09.2013 , 05:05 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
So you are saying that clicking a button that's a part of the game's interface is cheating the same way that using a 3rd party lag switch is cheating?

Take a few minutes and just think about what you are even saying.
Lol, I'm not saying it - you are!

Btw, you don't even need a 3rd party program to do lag switching:
It's just client-internet-server - everything you already have right now to play the game, just like /stuck
3rd party networking tools just make it more convenient.

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
01.09.2013 , 05:24 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Lol, I'm not saying it - you are!

Btw, you don't even need a 3rd party program to do lag switching:
It's just client-internet-server - everything you already have right now to play the game, just like /stuck
3rd party networking tools just make it more convenient.
LOL ok im confused

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that /stuck should either be available to everyone, or available to no one. Its not right that just a small number of people use it but everyone else is labeled an exploiter if they try to even the field.

It would be like if pro sports didn't take a stand against steroids. If steroids weren't illegal, players would be REQUIRED to juice up to compete. It wouldn't be the player's fault that they have to adapt to the system. It would be the league's fault for not keeping things level in the first place.

The same is true here. In theory, not using /stuck is a disadvantage. And currently it has not been declared an exploit by BW (the league). As it stands, this is not currently a BW Enforced Exploit. As of now, its simply a cheap tactic. The community is asking people to voluntarily not use a game feature (on the honor system) and that's the wrong way to handle it.

The way to fix resolve is not to ask all the players to stop stunning people, and if you continue to use stun, you're an exploiter. It just can't work that way.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Luckeyduckey's Avatar


Luckeyduckey
01.11.2013 , 04:34 PM | #135
What about in Huttball? Doesn't Baron Deathmark say it's okay to cheat?
Expl°it
ěnslaught
Eradicate

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
01.11.2013 , 04:38 PM | #136
It's cheap, but not an exploit to cheat.

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
01.11.2013 , 04:46 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
What about in Huttball? Doesn't Baron Deathmark say it's okay to cheat?
Yep. He also says: "I'm here to see Blood"....so since he came just to see me, I should be able to do whatever needs to be done
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Esiqual's Avatar


Esiqual
01.11.2013 , 04:47 PM | #138
Its definitely an unintended side affect of a system to help you get unstuck, so by definition its an exploit but whether its considered cheating is completely up to BW to decide. Whatever it is considered though it needs fixing because it completely ruins huttball, one of the best WZs for premade vs premade in the game currently.

Xooey's Avatar


Xooey
01.11.2013 , 05:04 PM | #139
Not cheating, but I'm sure not what Bioware had in mind for it's use.

Disabling /stuck in wzs would be much more negative than the impact of people misusing it, however. I still get legitimately stuck on way too regular of a basis, especially with combinations of jumps/pulls/air vents.


Acupuncturist/Slashionista

Asunasan's Avatar


Asunasan
01.11.2013 , 05:05 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
LOL ok im confused

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that /stuck should either be available to everyone, or available to no one. Its not right that just a small number of people use it but everyone else is labeled an exploiter if they try to even the field.

It would be like if pro sports didn't take a stand against steroids. If steroids weren't illegal, players would be REQUIRED to juice up to compete. It wouldn't be the player's fault that they have to adapt to the system. It would be the league's fault for not keeping things level in the first place.

The same is true here. In theory, not using /stuck is a disadvantage. And currently it has not been declared an exploit by BW (the league). As it stands, this is not currently a BW Enforced Exploit. As of now, its simply a cheap tactic. The community is asking people to voluntarily not use a game feature (on the honor system) and that's the wrong way to handle it.

The way to fix resolve is not to ask all the players to stop stunning people, and if you continue to use stun, you're an exploiter. It just can't work that way.
QFT. This guy gets it.