Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scorpio is Maria

Pcolapat
10.30.2012 , 08:34 AM | #1
I am not saying that Bioware artists copied the design of Scorpio from the 1927 film Metropolis, but the similarity is there. It is no secret that George Lucas's design of C3-PO was inspired by Maria, the robot from metropolis. I am quite certain that C3-PO's design inspired Bioware artists when they designed Scorpio. So it seems Bioware artists reverse engineered George Lucas's inspiration and recreated Maria unknowingly. Albeit they do not look identical, but judge for yourself.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5738/scorpioismaria.png
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Imhotep
10.30.2012 , 09:01 AM | #2
It was probably the inspiration for it. Nothing wrong with that.
The Ofali Legacy
Imhotep - Mercenary
Anubis - Marauder | Nama'Kubi - Sniper | Sėkhmet - Sorcerer

Guildmaster of the Nemesis Syndicate - The Harbinger - Maybe™

Kaisernick
10.30.2012 , 02:12 PM | #3
C-3p0 was inspired from her so why not scorpio.

DroidDreamer
10.31.2012 , 02:25 PM | #4
I noted that too. It's definitely an homage to that character. Scorpio is well-acted and depicted. They did a great job with her and her story (though I have not played her companion quest lines yet).
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Eutoxis
11.01.2012 , 06:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
I am not saying that Bioware artists copied the design of Scorpio from the 1927 film Metropolis, but the similarity is there. It is no secret that George Lucas's design of C3-PO was inspired by Maria, the robot from metropolis. I am quite certain that C3-PO's design inspired Bioware artists when they designed Scorpio. So it seems Bioware artists reverse engineered George Lucas's inspiration and recreated Maria unknowingly. Albeit they do not look identical, but judge for yourself.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5738/scorpioismaria.png
Unknowingly? You're <moff.tarkin> far too trusting. </moff.tarkin>

Update/Nitpick: technically, SCORPIO is "the False Maria," since Maria is the human woman down in the worker's district. It's worth seeing the 1925 film, btw-- thanks to the discovery of the Brazilian footage, we have nearly the whole film now, and it's quite good indeed.