Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 Support for SWTOR

Arlon_Nabarlly
10.29.2012 , 12:43 PM | #1
With Windows 8 officially being officially released is there any word on if/when SWTOR will officially be supported for this OS? I'm wondering because I'm working on building a new PC within the next few weeks and considering Windows 8. Since SWTOR is one of the main things I use my PC for it would be silly to do this if EA isn't going to support it. I've found threads both here and on Windows 8 Beta forums saying people have got it to work, but my question is about official support, and not so much if it will work/could be made to work.

AspectVoid
10.29.2012 , 01:03 PM | #2
Windows 8 is built on top of the Windows 7 core. Thus, anything that works on Windows 7 should work seamlessly with Windows 8. While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.

Roalmo
10.29.2012 , 01:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
... While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.
And thus I am cloning my current HD and then installing Win8, after I see if(or when) the OS fondling SWTOR screws up my new OS, I can pop out the disk with win8 on it and pop in the clone of win7... just in case.

Goretzu
10.29.2012 , 01:25 PM | #4
Windows 8 is built on top of the Windows 7 core. Thus, anything that works on Windows 7 should work seamlessly with Windows 8. While it does not guarantee it, I can't think of anything in SWTOR that would cause it to fail if changing the OS.
Try getting Fallout 3 GOTYE to work on Win 7 (you can but it's a royal PITA) even though it works fine on 2000, XP and Vista.

Not saying SWTOR won't work fine, but it doesn't mean it will either.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

PurSid
10.29.2012 , 01:33 PM | #5
SWTOR works great in Windows 8.
WIn 8 uses less resources and leaves more for any application, even SWTOR.

I have been running Win 8 since customer preview and have had no Win 8 related issues.
Just make sure your video card and other items that plug in to your computer have drivers for Win 8.

I know Nvidia has had drivers out since Jan.
PROUD
SQUADRON 238
PO-C.E.

Eillack
10.29.2012 , 01:34 PM | #6
Windows 8 is a waste to download haha, I'd stick with Windows 7 and wait awhile for Windows 9.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

dcgregorya
10.29.2012 , 01:37 PM | #7
Famous last words.

Holocron
10.29.2012 , 01:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by PurSid View Post
SWTOR works great in Windows 8.
WIn 8 uses less resources and leaves more for any application, even SWTOR.

I have been running Win 8 since customer preview and have had no Win 8 related issues.
Just make sure your video card and other items that plug in to your computer have drivers for Win 8.

I know Nvidia has had drivers out since Jan.
You are like the .0001 % that actually likes the new product. Windows 8 is in the same vein as Windows ME and Windows Vista. Wait until more people are forced into it, then the true hate will be realized.
01010011010010010100011101001110010000010101010001 010101010100100100010100100001

What is being said doesn't always jive with the truth of what is being shown.

jgoldsack
10.29.2012 , 02:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Holocron View Post
You are like the .0001 % that actually likes the new product. Windows 8 is in the same vein as Windows ME and Windows Vista. Wait until more people are forced into it, then the true hate will be realized.
QFT.

Windows 95 - Good
Windows 98 - Crap
Windows 98SE - Good
Windows ME - Crap
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Crap
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Crap?

See the pattern?
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

JediMasterSarynn
10.29.2012 , 02:30 PM | #10
My wife and I have been using Windows 8 retail version (I have an MSDN sub) for over two weeks and we play SWTOR daily. It has been working just fine. However, we both use NVidia graphics cards and they have been really good, as usual, with their driver support. I can't guarantee you'll have the same experience with ATI and Windows 8.
The Sunrider Legacy <Angeli Aetherii> PvP/PvE
Sarynn, Guardian | Darael, Shadow | Zadiel, Vanguard | Skyra, Scoundrel | Myrisa, Sentinel