Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMO Community against bullying.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
MMO Community against bullying.

mastirkal
01.24.2013 , 11:55 AM | #21
People will be people.

Unlike real life we have an ignore button here. Nothing else will be done unless you report them in game.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Is it just to ***** or do you have some suggestion for bioware to work towards? Please note I will report this thread for deletion like I am expected to do if it is the former just like any other rage thread.

Kabjat
01.24.2013 , 12:40 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
People will be people.

Unlike real life we have an ignore button here. Nothing else will be done unless you report them in game.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Is it just to ***** or do you have some suggestion for bioware to work towards? Please note I will report this thread for deletion like I am expected to do if it is the former just like any other rage thread.
I didn't take it as a rage thread at all. This is exactly the sort of attitude I was talking about: "Get over it...you are too easily offended....nothing will ever change and you are a crybaby for daring to be upset over it..." I really don't understand why anyone would actually report someone for expressing dismay over Internet abuse. It's a really big, bad problem. Claiming that the 'ignore' feature is the answer doesn't actually address the problem. All it does is give carte blanche for the offenders to continue.

There needs to be repercussions for abusive behavior. Only way that will happen is if it's reported by other players when it happens.

I happen to agree with you that trolls can and should be ignored. But abuse, gratuitous foul language, and intentional and ongoing harassment, especially when it happens in public (general chat) should be punished.

For the record, I keep the chat filter on and for the most part I am not bothered by most general chat conversations that contain bad language. Many times these conversations are never intended to hurt others...they just go beyond the limits of talk I deem acceptable speech. It's why I have enabled the handy chat filter. I can still be a part of the general population and not isolate myself. It's when the discussion digresses into obvious hate speech and abuse to others that I take it upon myself to report offenders. That's the cyber bullying and unnecessary bad behavior the OP was talking about and I think needs to stop.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Giberelina
01.24.2013 , 04:36 PM | #23
Hi, I wanted to know how you report bad behavior in chat like SEXISM and RACISM.

Lately I've witness several episodes of that crap, like this time on Korriban "women go to the kitchen".

Those ones really get me. On the other hand, when some insecure teenager insults out of the blue ... that's just hilarious.
WŁn

Dimvou
01.24.2013 , 06:16 PM | #24
I've played WoW for many years(Vanilla -> Cataclysm).
I can definately say that Swtor has a more manture community,people are willing to help,explain tactcs,have more patience etc.
I think that's because the overall age of the players here is a lot higher than WoW.There are many people 25 or 30+ here and while it's not necessary that maturity comes with age,age remains a pretty solid indication.
There will always be trolls and people harrassing others,but at the moment this whole thing is pretty bearable and has nothing,absolutely nothing to do with what was happening in WoW.
Bad news is that ,the WoW community was better in vanilla and declined over the years and i can already see a decline since the F2P launched(Racists/Sexism conversations never took place when i was lvling at launch-at least on my server).
I guess its natural and if that could be the bottom of the barrel for Swtor,it would satisfactory(for me at least).
For the OP:
Since you got a condition history,find a good friendly guild and make friendships in there.It helped me a lot in WoW,couldn't have stayed all these years without my friendly guildies offering a lot of hilarious moments in raids and hcs

For the new people playing the game :
1)Be polite
2)Whisper before randomly inviting people
3)Don't be afraid to tell to your group or guild that you are new to the game and don't know tacts or stuff.
There are always people willing to help you if you stick to n1 rule.

AhsokaTanorules
01.25.2013 , 03:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimvou View Post
I've played WoW for many years(Vanilla -> Cataclysm).
I can definately say that Swtor has a more manture community,.
Simple math. WoW has more subscribers so there is simply a greater chance of running into trolls ((and not just the race :-) ))

I remember recently I ran an SM EV. Someone made a small mistake on the final boss that eventually led to a wipe. Now if the group had retried again there was no doubt victory was assured since the mistake was easily corrected and the group was certainly strong enough to win. But nope, someone had to take the loss so sorely and troll everyone that the group fell apart one small step away from a successful run.

That kind of behavior is definitely as bad as any of the raidrage I have witnessed in all my 6 years of WoW playing.

ziphii
01.25.2013 , 06:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
People will be people.

I think the idea of this thread was to encourage people to report harassing behavior so as to improve the climate for everyone. Not just complaining for the sake of complaining but to lobby for people to use the tools already available to us to make the worlds of SW:TOR a better place. Why so quick to report a post?

Jiminison
01.29.2013 , 11:13 PM | #27
What is an example of bullying online because what bothers me may not bother you and vice versa. I have a pretty strong personality so if some gets smart I'll back them down and if i see some one getting called out I'll usually defend them. I can't say I have been bullied online or maybe I have and did not know it. I was labeled as a ninja in wow on my server and didn't know that was going around and the bad part was I never ran any dungeons or raids till I eventually had too for a trinket I wanted. LOL I still to this day do not know where that came from ,oh well.

slafko
01.30.2013 , 05:40 AM | #28
Last time I met a bully was last week. Two different FP's hours apart, same bully with two different characters. Created a ticket for abuse in the first FP. Reported him for abuse a dozen times in the second FP. CS did not respond to my ticked, it just got closed without any explanation. Haven't seen those two characters online since then.

I must admit it was both funny and sad reading what he was typing in hopes to provoke me to respond in kind. Pathetic attempts at trolling make me cry inside.

mastirkal
01.30.2013 , 12:13 PM | #29
My question was answered. Reason I'm not going to do anything against it.

WeadonismyMaster
01.30.2013 , 04:20 PM | #30
Bullies are out there.... I have found I cannot tolerate it, at work or in my private life. Not acceptable. Never again will I put up with that in my life.