Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMO Community against bullying.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
MMO Community against bullying.

Carambole
10.29.2012 , 09:19 AM | #1
I decided to write this post due to something close to heart. Namely online bullying.

According to the news yet another teenager has been taken care of (with lack of better words) due to playing world of warcraft. Apparently he played 9 hours a day, became a-social and developed abnormal speeling patterns. It became so bad they had to take care of him.

What pisses me of is that I was in a similar position 3 years ago. I played world of warcraft but it was an addiction and very very bad for my health. It wasn't uncommon to see people ingame run around named *****roth etc. There was also alot of sexist ******** back then. Alot of people were getting away with harassing whoever saw them. If you were in the line of fire then too bad for you. This was doubly bad for myself due to the fact of me being over sensitive. I had had a nervous breakdown 10 years ago.

SwtoR has so far an excellent community. Obviously there are still trolls no matter where you are but I want to make sure the community takes it's responsibility and tries to counter any kind of online bullying wherever it may surface.
The Unknown is Shifting

www.gamezoneeden.se

Icebergy
10.29.2012 , 09:32 AM | #2
What is this I don't even.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

imnotawitch
10.29.2012 , 09:35 AM | #3
While I am for any cause against bullying, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "take care of." A quick google search turned up nothing recent. Do you have a link to this article?
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*

Anysao
10.29.2012 , 10:09 AM | #4
/hug
I know where you're coming from, I can relate.

But now that you mention it... The community for this game is the most mature game I've seen so far (except there is always Taris, where the low-levels just don't understand yet how the community behaves)
The main problem is, in this game, there are less trolls, but these are worse. Quality versus quantity and whatnot.
Death to the trolls.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

spookysage
10.29.2012 , 03:10 PM | #5
This MMO does have a pretty mature player set, thankfully - for every night I'm wandering around Dromund Kaas while General Chat is filled with jokes about mothers and necrophilia, there's one where people are comparing the KOTOR games, or chatting about the best burger joints in Amarillo.

happysister
10.29.2012 , 06:47 PM | #6
i don't like bullies on- or offline. occasionally, i get stuck in groups with them, and always try to be extra nice to those who are the brunt of their bullying. i do agree though, this this community has the most mature crowd i've seen in games, which does a lot for one's game experience. here's hoping that the maturity level doesn't plummet too far when F2P hits.
Lorhin - SS/DF Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel
<Fortitude>

Ardim
10.30.2012 , 11:05 PM | #7
I can totally relate to this OP

However, I'll have to disagree with you on the community. Maybe it's just my experiences or server, but I find the community to be pretty bad. For me, Lord of the Rings Online had the most mature community.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

Darth-Malice
10.31.2012 , 12:32 AM | #8
Open forum + Anonymous =Online Trolling and Bullying. Its not going anyway anytime soon.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

Darth_Urtani
10.31.2012 , 10:51 AM | #9
I don't care about online bullying. Especially how people jumped on the Amanda Todd bandwagon.
CE VIP

MightyVittey
10.31.2012 , 05:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Urtani View Post
I don't care about online bullying. Especially how people jumped on the Amanda Todd bandwagon.
How old was she anyways?
Alienware Aurora R3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Maxxed out, 150-200 FPS (without vsync)