How to kill a Mara as Sage

Ycoga

Information is king!

You'll need Bubblestun - and possibly Egress, just to be sure. Remember the Hybrid-sage mantra: 'I'm gonna survive this fight, which means either her or neither of us dies'.

1. Bubble yourself while she's at range

2. Weaken mind and Mind crush - she's in your face by now

3. Let her pop the bubble, then Force Speed away for max duration only

4. Slow her, and telekinetic throw.

5. Mind crush, then she's in your face again.

6. Pop a WZ adrenal and/or heal through the damage she's dealing you (HOT and spam rejuvenate and benevolence - despite its high force cost - pref with Mental Alacrity, or at least with decent alac rating)

7. Force push, then use WZ medpack

8. Slow her, then turn and run away until you can raise another bubble. Use HOT.

9. Proceed from point 2 above and repeat as necessary.

Variations:

A: She force cloaks. Use forcequake at your feet - if she's running away, don't pursue, just tag her with Weaken Mind and possibly a last Disturbance if you're feeling cheeky. If she's attacking, proceed from point 6. (If she's Juyo your AOE won't work). If she's Juyo, escape.

B: Her Force attacks are too strong to heal through. Use Force Stun and TK throw and hope she uses her CC breaker, then continue from 6. Follow with Force Lift, then escape.

C: She's spamming you with Massacre and Ataru form strikes. Force Push, Force Stun, anything you can to slow that chick down, cos she's in your face and you're tasting her spittle, and it's not a happy place to be.

Edited by Ycoga

She's a lady?

Yeah I personally would have used gender neutral pronouns, or just used he (Which is seen as gender neutral, "He" does not always refer to a man exactly, but she pretty much does only refer to a woman). But hey if the op wants to be feminist or just feels like the Marauder in the example is a woman for some reason, it's not a big deal.

Information is king!

You'll need Bubblestun - and possibly Egress, just to be sure. Remember the Hybrid-sage mantra: 'I'm gonna survive this fight, which means either her or neither of us dies'.

6. Pop a WZ adrenal and/or heal through the damage she's dealing you (HOT and spam rejuvenate and benevolence - despite its high force cost - pref with Mental Alacrity, or at least with decent alac rating)

8. Slow her, then turn and run away until you can raise another bubble. Use HOT.

Variations:

A: She force cloaks. Use forcequake at your feet - if she's running away, don't pursue, just tag her with Weaken Mind and possibly a last Disturbance if you're feeling cheeky. If she's attacking, proceed from point 6. (If she's Juyo your AOE won't work). If she's Juyo, escape.

B: Her Force attacks are too strong to heal through. Use Force Stun and TK throw and hope she uses her CC breaker, then continue from 6. Follow with Force Lift, then escape.

C: She's spamming you with Massacre and Ataru form strikes. Force Push, Force Stun, anything you can to slow that chick down, cos she's in your face and you're tasting her spittle, and it's not a happy place to be.

If she's Juyo and you're a hybrid, you'll probably die. Carnage and Rage can be taken down, but Juyo's self heals prevail in the end. :(

If she's Juyo and you're a hybrid, you'll probably die. Carnage and Rage can be taken down, but Juyo's self heals prevail in the end. :(

I generally do most of that stuff if given time, toss on weaken mind that slows on top of force slow. I'm specced to heal and survive as a hybrid though so I'm not killin any maras 1v1 the best I get is a stalemate, they give up and leap to another target. As a healer all I'm looking for with a dps like that is a stalemate. What normally happens though is when the mara gets frustrated of chasing me about he calls for help, and rightly so. You don't let a healer roam around alive. Sadly Not much I can do against a 3 vs lil ol me. I die,respawn and go back at it. I have killed a handful of maras, but honestly...they were really really baaaaad. Those guys do not stick on me, they don't slow me they don't use the aoe mez, step back and leap again...they allow me to kite and actually damage them....Cmon, i hit like a wet noodle. The really good Maras, I bubble stun, weaken mind (slow specced) wait 1 sec, force push with a root,force slow and then run screaming like a frightened school girl around the pillar spamming heals on myself. only to run into that powertech....*lesigh* It burns precious!!!

I generally do most of that stuff if given time, toss on weaken mind that slows on top of force slow. I'm specced to heal and survive as a hybrid though so I'm not killin any maras 1v1 the best I get is a stalemate, they give up and leap to another target. As a healer all I'm looking for with a dps like that is a stalemate. What normally happens though is when the mara gets frustrated of chasing me about he calls for help, and rightly so. You don't let a healer roam around alive. Sadly Not much I can do against a 3 vs lil ol me. I die,respawn and go back at it. I have killed a handful of maras, but honestly...they were really really baaaaad. Those guys do not stick on me, they don't slow me they don't use the aoe mez, step back and leap again...they allow me to kite and actually damage them....Cmon, i hit like a wet noodle. The really good Maras, I bubble stun, weaken mind (slow specced) wait 1 sec, force push with a root,force slow and then run screaming like a frightened school girl around the pillar spamming heals on myself. only to run into that powertech....*lesigh* It burns precious!!!

It's a legit strategy, and if you can LOS you can draw it out for a very long time. I wish the problem with hybrids wasn't the bubble helped their survivability. Unfortunately the problem is the griefing of the entire WZ. But yeah, good job with being elusive. That's how you play it, gl.

Yeah I personally would have used gender neutral pronouns, or just used he (Which is seen as gender neutral, "He" does not always refer to a man exactly, but she pretty much does only refer to a woman). But hey if the op wants to be feminist or just feels like the Marauder in the example is a woman for some reason, it's not a big deal.

Not to derail the thread into an argument about sexism but... that is a very substantial amount of untruth.

It's not "feminist" to want to use "she" instead of "he". It's simply personal preference.

It IS "sexist" to think you're being "gender neutral" by using "he" as the "universal pronoun". Anyone who has a female doctor will always correct you when you assume it's a he. It's just not gender neutral, mate.

The gender neutral pronoun is "they", for singular or plural. Unless it's an "it"...

Since Maras/Sents are inhuman abominations in PvP, I would have personally used "it". Perhaps resorting to "the monster" when extra dramatic effect was required.

Down with feminism:

For years, if the gender of an individual referred to in a sentence is unknown, “he” would be used as the generic pronoun. “We don’t know who started the fire,” a police officer might say, “but he will be held responsible.” It is understood, by both the police officer and any listeners, that “he” could refer to either a woman or a man.

- http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/grammar-rules-for-he-she-usage.html

Edited by TheronFett

Just run them through a host of your teammates. Marauders are notoriously easy to distract. "ohhh shiny!"

Also... that pebble tossing snare is beast.

^^^ This. The problem with presenting a "how to" on winning 1v1 fights against a melee dps, is that ranged dps should be avoiding 1v1 fights. You have a handy ability that Maras/Sents do not have, it's that you can be effective from 28m away. Use it. Or an even more handy ability, which is attacking people that might actually ignore the fact that you're attacking them. People aren't going to ignore the Sent that is in their face, to go after the Sage that is 30m away. Focus the same targets your melee teammates are, and watch them melt.

All that to say, yes sometimes we are forced into a 1v1, and your post is good advice. But step 1 in winnng 1v1's for ranged caster should always be "try to avoid 1v1's."

^^^ This. The problem with presenting a "how to" on winning 1v1 fights against a melee dps, is that ranged dps should be avoiding 1v1 fights. You have a handy ability that Maras/Sents do not have, it's that you can be effective from 28m away. Use it. Or an even more handy ability, which is attacking people that might actually ignore the fact that you're attacking them. People aren't going to ignore the Sent that is in their face, to go after the Sage that is 30m away. Focus the same targets your melee teammates are, and watch them melt.

All that to say, yes sometimes we are forced into a 1v1, and your post is good advice. But step 1 in winnng 1v1's for ranged caster should always be "try to avoid 1v1's."

It's nice to walk into a WZ and not be priority targeted from 100m away - but I only know that feeling when I play a Jugg or Guardian alt.

• 1 month later...
Information is king!

Variations:

Some good moves but also some flaws with a quick glance. E.g. 4) Force slow and tk-throw together is a waste of slow as they don't work together. Weaken mind does not stack up, so you have to wait 15-21 secs before reapplying. Mental alacrity and egress, not sure that this is a good build.