Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should Tanks be made to be Uncrittable in PvE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Should Tanks be made to be Uncrittable in PvE?

BlznSmri
10.28.2012 , 09:42 PM | #1
If anyone has tanked in WoW they should kind of understand where I'm coming from here. For those that don't, in WoW each of the bosses were 3 levels higher than the player, and at 3 levels above NPC's had the ability to land a Crushing Blow (Crit) on players, in order to prevent this the Tanks had to get their Defense chance to 8% (the Crit chance of NPC's were 5% + 1% per level).

I'm probably only bothered by this because I was killed by a stray crit in TFB tonight (10k crit from Operator IX), but shouldn't there be a talent that reduces the chance of tanks getting crit by NPCs to make them uncrittable, or is it simply not too big of an issue to the player base?

I feel it would make things a bit easier on the healers and make damage more consistent, but I'm not about to quit the game because of this.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

grallmate
10.28.2012 , 09:46 PM | #2
Bosses in PvE don't have a crit chance in SWToR. At least according to every combat log I've seen...

Usually a huge hit like that is either intentional (and on a slow swing timer) or a mechanic you are missing.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Darth_Dreselus
10.28.2012 , 10:04 PM | #3
That is indeed a mechanic. Operator IX will randomly attack someone with Disinfection after the Black Obtuse phase if someone has run through a wrong circle (even after it has been deactivated). Be glad that it hit you, it usually one-shots a non-tank with around 19k (and it mostly targets a non-tank). Disinfection is also his normal attack on the tank but does a lot less damage (can often be dodged).

^ HM

On SM I'm not sure how much of an issue it is but could be the same with less damage.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

BlznSmri
10.28.2012 , 10:39 PM | #4
It appears you're right. When the number flew up on the screen it looked like a crit, when it was Disinfection hitting me three times, once for 2k which was shielded, and twice for 4.9k.

And going through the logs it seems I've never been crit either. Disregard this, though I do wish their Floating numbers didn't make grouped hits look like crits...
APOSTATES

KeyboardNinja
10.29.2012 , 12:17 AM | #5
To the best of my knowledge, bosses have zero crit chance. It's hard to tell though, since a halfway-decent tank isn't going to allow a boss to hit a non-tank for any substantial period of time, and any crit chance that a boss *might* have is completely washed off the table by a tank's shield chance. So technically, we don't really know boss crit chance, we just have educated guesses. All we know for certain is that if bosses can crit, it would need to be at a vanishingly low chance (otherwise we would see it in the logs in the form of deflated shield chance).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Kitru
10.29.2012 , 01:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
any crit chance that a boss *might* have is completely washed off the table by a tank's shield chance.
Crit chance takes absolute priority on the 2nd roll of the 2 roll system (Crit>Shield>Hit). *Any* crit chance would show up in logs, which is why we know that it doesn't show up.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Karasuko
10.29.2012 , 02:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Bosses in PvE don't have a crit chance in SWToR. At least according to every combat log I've seen...

Usually a huge hit like that is either intentional (and on a slow swing timer) or a mechanic you are missing.
We had our shadow tank crit for 39k on bonethrasher, there is no way a boss would hit a player that hard.

BlznSmri
10.29.2012 , 02:31 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
We had our shadow tank crit for 39k on bonethrasher, there is no way a boss would hit a player that hard.
I would love to see that parse...
APOSTATES

grallmate
10.29.2012 , 03:00 AM | #9
That happens all the time. It appears to happen if you are right at the start of his cleave or if you have the debuff from being pounded.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

KeyboardNinja
10.29.2012 , 09:32 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
That happens all the time. It appears to happen if you are right at the start of his cleave or if you have the debuff from being pounded.
Actually, it happens only if you have the pounded debuff. I've seen hits that large myself, and it wasn't a crit.

There are some boss abilities that hit very, very hard without being crits. For example, getting hit by Kephess with the Touch debuff will insta-nuke you, failing to cleanse Doom will hit you for 25 million (also non-crit). Bosses have some very, very high damage abilities, even without critting.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)