Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nitromonger
01.29.2013 , 06:25 PM | #921
I've only read the first and last 2 pages. I used to think that Commando/Merc damage was fine, I no longer do. I have several reasons for my feelings. One, I have both a vanguard and commando (and merc) at 50. My commando and vanguard share a fully augmented set of WH/EWH gear using legacy armor as a normalizer. I consistently do in the neighborhood of 100k more damage on my vanguard than I do on my commando. On top of the damage I've got taunts and an aoe stun. I typically do 150-200k more on my guardian (lol smash). My second source is the ranked parses on torparse.com. Commandos and to a slightly lesser extent mercs are severly under represented in the rankings. There are only a couple of commandos ranked in with the gs/snipers, marauders/sents, pts/vgs. Its pretty eye opening to see the lack of mercs and commandos ranked there.
▂ ▃ ▅ The Method Legacy ▅ ▃ ▂
⋘PRIME DEFENSE⋙
WebsiteChatRecruitment ThreadForums
The Tenacious ※ The Vigilant ※ The Prime

DariusCalera
01.29.2013 , 06:34 PM | #922
Quote: Originally Posted by tekhiun View Post
What about you stop playing arsenal and play pyro ?

If BW buffs arsenal the way most ppl want we gonna have a new FOTM for sure =). Arsenal is only good if you are being ignored deal with it, if you want that changed ie immunity to interrupts more roots etc, then there should be a damage nerf to account for the survivability increase. All that needs to be fixed is to add a on demand root on the pyro tree, maybe a root + gap maker like a jetpack burst that paralizes the target and sends you flying over him landing 20m over his back. But imo that should only be accessible on the pyro tree, not arsenal.
Why would there need to be a damage reduction if mercs/commandos received interrupt immunity?

A sniper/gunslinger left alone and allowed to free cast will do quite a bit more damage than a commando or a merc under the same circumstances and they do have the interrupt immunity, along with more ranged options than either, and still provides more team support.

Henu
01.29.2013 , 06:45 PM | #923
This is what i look for in a WZ and i think these are what people are talking about. http://i.imgur.com/KwrWJKK.jpg
Its Top DPS in a VS, the round only went for just over half a round, Ive got top DPS by 100k no probs there but also NO deaths. we have 1 healer on our team they have 2 but not what i call huge numbers.

In the round ive out DPSed 2 Pyros on our team on what is a map thats made for Melee IMO.

The class isnt broken by any means it just needs a few tweaks.
Kripty / Snips

Jherad
01.29.2013 , 06:47 PM | #924
Quote: Originally Posted by Henu View Post
In the round ive out DPSed 2 Pyros on our team on what is a map thats made for Melee IMO..
Do you want to know why?

Because they were AFK, in recruit gear, or bad. I have a whole heap of videos starring baddies. Search youtube, baddies are everywhere. That does not a balanced class make.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

DarthBloodloss
01.29.2013 , 06:59 PM | #925
MY RL friend started playing a week or two ago. He asked about various classes and he came to a decision to play a PT. Being somewhat new to the game, he would sometimes complain to me that his toon sucked. Last nite he stopped by my house and logged on his toon.

I spent 2 minutes and remapped:
Rapid Shot
Flame Burst
Rail Shot
Thermal Detonator
Rocket Punch
Electro Dart

Those were the only abilities on my toolbar. Having never played for a single second as a PT I joined a 10-49 WZ as lvl 40 I believe. I got 2nd place overall damage.

It reminded me of the first time I switched my PvP Mara Alt to Rage spec. The more I played, the more pis*sed off I got because of how simple it was to own anyone.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Henu
01.29.2013 , 07:17 PM | #926
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Do you want to know why?

Because they were AFK, in recruit gear, or bad. I have a whole heap of videos starring baddies. Search youtube, baddies are everywhere. That does not a balanced class make.
Nope 1 of them(Madalyn) is a guild mate, full time PVPer and a great player all round, the second person in SS is a great player also.

One thing i do get sick of is people picking out a SS and coming up with excuses after they have been proved wrong. I personally go out there every game and have a great game. Im going to start using FRAP's soon and then maybe some of you others can see what your doing wrong.
Kripty / Snips

Jherad
01.29.2013 , 07:38 PM | #927
Nope 1 of them(Madalyn) is a guild mate, full time PVPer and a great player all round, the second person in SS is a great player also. .
You doubled his damage. Unless you think that mercs are twice as good as PTs (and there isn't a big enough ROFLCOPTER in the world for that), then he was either AFK, badly geared, or bad. I'll be charitable and say he could have been 'distracted'.

Seriously. I can introduce you a few PTs (along with other classes) that make your damage look very very poor (Boris from Woops on my server springs to mind, but I'm afraid the list is not small).

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85de10f8.jpg

Which server do you play on? How busy is it?
Youtube / Twitch

Nitromonger
01.29.2013 , 07:42 PM | #928
Nope 1 of them(Madalyn) is a guild mate, full time PVPer and a great player all round, the second person in SS is a great player also.

One thing i do get sick of is people picking out a SS and coming up with excuses after they have been proved wrong. I personally go out there every game and have a great game. Im going to start using FRAP's soon and then maybe some of you others can see what your doing wrong.
I don't really think you've proven anyone "wrong" and have obviously shown that you are a capable player. However, I am curious what your damage taken is compared to the others. You were the only person who didn't die, so either you were getting a bunch of healing or you were left to freely dps. Usually I find myself left alone simply because as a class we are not viewed as the same threat that PTs or Marauders can be. For every SS I have seen with a commando/merc doing 700k+ damage I can find dozens with other classes doing twice as much. A skilled player can do OK with this class, but even played to perfection there are other classes which can outperform in almost every matter with much less skill.
▂ ▃ ▅ The Method Legacy ▅ ▃ ▂
⋘PRIME DEFENSE⋙
WebsiteChatRecruitment ThreadForums
The Tenacious ※ The Vigilant ※ The Prime

cashogy_reborn
01.29.2013 , 07:56 PM | #929
i would outdamage powertechs all the time on my merc. good ones even, there were only a couple that ever really overshadowed me in damage output.

on my PT tho, ive yet to be outdamaged by a merc. the skill cap is so ridiculously low w/ PT that having played Merc for such a long time makes it massively easy.

if Merc was unable to be interrupted, Arsenal would have beast damage output.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Jherad
01.29.2013 , 07:56 PM | #930
Yeah, as irritable as I know I can be (!!!), I should hope it goes without saying that anyone who can do that kind of damage with a merc/commando is already an exceptional player. That is not in question.

My points are about the relative merits of the class in comparison to others.

Edit: Ninja'd by Cash

Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
i would outdamage powertechs all the time on my merc. good ones even, there were only a couple that ever really overshadowed me in damage output.
It's that couple that interest me. The best ones. Is it too much to ask that the best mercs be capable of the same as the best of other classes?

And yes, playing commando makes playing other classes in PvP laughable. I did 500k damage in my first lvl 50 warzone on a sage, in a mixture of recruit and odd WH.
Youtube / Twitch