Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Siorac
01.29.2013 , 09:58 AM | #901
Quote: Originally Posted by VbNAsrikk View Post
i agree with this post mercs / commandoes are seriously underpowered on my veangance juggernaut i have no problem ****** them its as if they were cats and i was a mastif they are that easy so yeah rebuff commandoes... just to make fighting them in pvp a lil more interesting
To be totally fair, Unremitting/Unstoppable makes them especially helpless against Vigilance/Vengeance. Even more helpless than against other melee classes. And they have no defensive cooldown to negate the Master Strike/Ravage that surely follows immediately.

Due to the overabundance of Smashers, most Mercenaries now use knockback or stun immediately when they see a leaper - can't blame them but it's a death sentence against Vigilance.

Buzna
01.29.2013 , 10:19 AM | #902
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
To be totally fair, Unremitting/Unstoppable makes them especially helpless against Vigilance/Vengeance. Even more helpless than against other melee classes. And they have no defensive cooldown to negate the Master Strike/Ravage that surely follows immediately.

Due to the overabundance of Smashers, most Mercenaries now use knockback or stun immediately when they see a leaper - can't blame them but it's a death sentence against Vigilance.
I wouldn't do that against Venegance because the animation of Unstoppable is clearly visible but Vigilance is a bit more confusing because those aura animations of jedi sentinels looks pretty the same to me. I agree that we lack defensive cooldowns. The shield is simply not enough. Jet boost is useles on flat ground. Concussion missle is useless due to long cast time and interruptibility (really not worth spending the instant cooldown on this skill). Electro dart not too much of a use due to 10m nerf. Rocket puch is 4 secs which gives you enough time to get away, but that is about it.

All this just shows how unexperienced BW is with MMOS and especially PvP balancing melee vs. ranged. As an example I would set WoW and all the skills mages and hunters got there to keep melees at bay. Mercs cannot even compare to that with the lack of skills and many of useless skill you still have at lvl 50 which you don't even get to your skillbar.
Spire lvl 50 Merc - Arsenal (PvP)
Proud member of Legion de Muerte guild, Tomb of Freedon Nadd.
~=EA is to blame for what has become of this great game=~

ArchangelLBC
01.29.2013 , 10:48 AM | #903
Quote: Originally Posted by Buzna View Post
I wouldn't do that against Venegance because the animation of Unstoppable is clearly visible but Vigilance is a bit more confusing because those aura animations of jedi sentinels looks pretty the same to me. I agree that we lack defensive cooldowns. The shield is simply not enough. Jet boost is useles on flat ground. Concussion missle is useless due to long cast time and interruptibility (really not worth spending the instant cooldown on this skill). Electro dart not too much of a use due to 10m nerf. Rocket puch is 4 secs which gives you enough time to get away, but that is about it.

All this just shows how unexperienced BW is with MMOS and especially PvP balancing melee vs. ranged. As an example I would set WoW and all the skills mages and hunters got there to keep melees at bay. Mercs cannot even compare to that with the lack of skills and many of useless skill you still have at lvl 50 which you don't even get to your skillbar.
You have a better use for Tech override than instant concussion round? I love it personally. Sad that its the only way our mez has any real use in PVP.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Buzna
01.29.2013 , 10:55 AM | #904
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
You have a better use for Tech override than instant concussion round? I love it personally. Sad that its the only way our mez has any real use in PVP.
I use it paired with Healing scan when in trouble or Fusion missle as an opener. No use do it with Concussion missle when any damage just breaks the effect or affected player just uses his CC breaker. Not to mention you have to choose between Electro dart or Jet boost afterwards because it fills the targets resolve bar to full on the second CC which is quite bad when fighting a melee.
Spire lvl 50 Merc - Arsenal (PvP)
Proud member of Legion de Muerte guild, Tomb of Freedon Nadd.
~=EA is to blame for what has become of this great game=~

ArchangelLBC
01.29.2013 , 11:00 AM | #905
Quote: Originally Posted by Buzna View Post
I use it paired with Healing scan when in trouble or Fusion missle as an opener. No use do it with Concussion missle when any damage just breaks the effect or affected player just uses his CC breaker. Not to mention you have to choose between Electro dart or Jet boost afterwards because it fills the targets resolve bar to full on the second CC which is quite bad when fighting a melee.
Instant Concussion Round > Start healing. Preferably right in front of them. Works wonders, and you just know they're seething as you sit there and heal yourself back up to full. Best used after you know they've used their trinket of course.

In the zerg there's definitely an argument for TO > Medical Probe. Possibly followed by an Advanced Medical Probe if you're gunnery and have 5 stacks of charged barrel you didn't want to use hurting someone. Also nice to get off an instant grav round.

Honestly, using it to insta cast plasma grenade is about the worst use I can think of it. That ability is too good as an interrupt baiter.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

T-Assassin
01.29.2013 , 11:37 AM | #906
remove interrupt on movement while casting, i.e. casting while moving, and adjust damage accordingly. also, change PS to elemental and adjust damage.

having played a couple games where you are not limited to standing still while casting evens the playing field, SIGNIFICANTLY!

add a root and improve defensive CD, problem solved.

a couple simple fixes, fixes the Merc class.

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

klham
01.29.2013 , 12:59 PM | #907
Tech override for concussion missile or fusion missile (the latter with the zero-cost cd as well) is essential in PvP. Getting fusion missile off instantly and at zero resource cost is very important for 1v1 encounters, because you know you're against a mediochre or depleted mdps if they let you stand there and cast it the whole time (the animation for fusion missile is very obvious, on both mirror ACs). Still, considering the ammo cost and cooldown time, it's a little miserly that there's also a long stationary cast time as well. Same with concussion missile - getting concussion missile off in a WZ is sometimes next to impossible due to LoS, interrupts and knockbacks. Many times I've tried 3, 4, 5 times to fire it over a short time before giving up. Considering that it's our only mezz, and a single target one at that, you'd think they'd throw us a bone.

Tech override is on a loooong cooldown. Add a proc'd reset or shorter cd to the list of "quality of life" PvP tweaks in the absence of a wholesale overhaul of the class design.

SpaniardInfinity
01.29.2013 , 01:48 PM | #908
I really hope that Tech Override is one of the first quality of life changed which come to Commando/Mercenary.

It's such a small change that I think would make a huge difference for the AC as a whole. I think the cooldown should be on the range of 20-30 seconds. I know as a healer, if there is a single ability on my toolbar I wish I could use more regularly, it would be Tech Override. You can use it to heal (MP/AMP), CC (Concussive Round, especially for you silly smashers that break out of my Cyro Grenades), and break up caps (Plasma Grenade). Unfortunately it doesn't work on Emergency Medical Probe (the in combat revive), but it would be a solid first step.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Henu
01.29.2013 , 03:59 PM | #909
DPS is not a problem with mercs.
Kripty / Snips

T-Assassin
01.29.2013 , 04:23 PM | #910
Quote: Originally Posted by Henu View Post
DPS is not a problem with mercs.
LOL!!! EL OH EL!!!

like i just got done discussing in another post, torparse, my testing, and every other bit of information i have gathered proves otherwise.

how can you PROVE your statement?

i can sure prove mine [that Merc DPS is NOT fine], and have.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -