Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Azrienov
10.31.2012 , 07:57 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
Regardless of what anyone else has to say about this, I appreciate your response and am willing to wait and see what the development team has designed.

Digimanbyte_ID
10.31.2012 , 08:24 PM | #72
Honest to god, a lot these issues are completely surrounded by the melee superiority vs range in PvP. If they made it more harder for melee to close in on Sorc, Mercs then this problem wouldn't be an issue.

At least my sorcerer can still burn melee with his bubblestun to get some payback. But that alone isn't even a fix.

Rassuro
11.01.2012 , 12:32 AM | #73
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
Thank you!

I disagree with that the problem would be only when faced with multiple enemies, but still, I really appreciate the reply and I'm glad that you'd planning on doing something about the issue!
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

Glower
11.01.2012 , 07:32 AM | #74

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability"

"To hug corners", "escapability " and nothing more?
This means they really decided to kill dps-mercs in pvp?
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Siorac
11.01.2012 , 07:45 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
Why is that stupid? you don't have to roll a new toon to play both environs with the same toon. one AC remains viable in both PvP and PvE. why is it stupid? because you're in love with your PvE-centric spec? dude, PvE is PvEasy. it just is. and BW has to make PvEasy specs so that introductory players (or casuals, w/e) will have an option. they'd have to completely redesign PvP to make tracer spamming competitive. that would break every other class. the spec sucks in pvp. deal with it. there are (or should be) other (more mobile) options.
I have level 15 Mercenary only so I'm pretty much impartial in the debate. I'm just saying that there are many, many specs in the game that are viable in both PvE and PvP. All three Sentinel/Marauder specs. All three Sniper/Gunslinger specs (Engineering/Saboteur isn't crap at all, no matter what a previous poster said). Both Guardian/Juggernaut DPS specs are viable in PvP (yes, they are, I play the weaker one).

Plenty of people offered plenty of solutions to increase the viability of the Arsenal/Gunnery spec. Brief immunity to interrupts (doesn't affect PvE at all), additional escape abilities (doesn't affect PvE at all).

The PvEasy comment is so childish and immature. Like PvP is hard. You hit the queue button, mess around for 10-15 minutes and get reward. Yay.

Mancer
11.01.2012 , 09:47 AM | #76

Bring us back to pre 1.2 standards. Problem solved IMO.
I achieved the ultimate level of SWTOR endgame: Forum ranting & trolling!

DashaAdair
11.01.2012 , 10:14 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Dear Karsk,

If you have ever worked for Bioware developing PVP content and making adjustments to classes and game mechanics, (something you clearly have not), you would know that Bioware is obviously aware of the issue and is working on addressing it.

The real problem is that Gunnery/Arsenal is a stationary turret spec that needs to be totally revamped for mobility. A viable solution would make Tracer Missle and Grav Round non-channeled and do less damage, but a bigger burst buff to Railshot and their endcap ability. That way they get more burst and keep the same overall damage, while becoming mobile.

The idea is to make these guys mobile instead of stationary. 4m/10m players still have to work on sticking like glue while Gunnery/Arsenal becomes a run'n'gun style of Pyro, without the dots.
[Emphasis added] No and no. Not every AC/class should be mobile Stationary options should exist in more that one class Mercenaries and commandos should remain, primarily, stationary. There is a run an gun choice already. We don't need another one.

DashaAdair
11.01.2012 , 10:19 AM | #78
One thing that will help retain the consistency and flavor of commandos is put the Cryo Grenade range back to 30m.

For those that built into it, put the knockback back in place. Things that force us to turn and run effectively reduce our offensive capability.

AsiriusNazriel
11.01.2012 , 10:25 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by DashaAdair View Post
[Emphasis added] No and no. Not every AC/class should be mobile Stationary options should exist in more that one class Mercenaries and commandos should remain, primarily, stationary. There is a run an gun choice already. We don't need another one.
Do you have a Merc or Commando that is exclusively middle tree?
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

SneiK
11.01.2012 , 10:27 AM | #80
A good thread that I hope BW sees, and will start to communicate on class balance with us players.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=550337