Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ArchangelLBC
12.24.2012 , 08:35 PM | #601
We need an escape, but if they make it our new high level trainable skill I'm going to be very put out. Not surprised. But it'd still be total crap when we still lack a good offensive cooldown.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

LeonHawkeye
12.25.2012 , 10:40 AM | #602
Bump for justice because this is still a preposterously disgusting and glaringly obvious problem to everyone but the devs it seems. Fix us please, it's Christmas. I sincerely hope you (Bioware) do not intend to wait until the "expansion" to properly tend to Commandos/Mercs and/or PvP in general, because if you do, that will be one of the worst and most gross mistakes you will make. You will most definitely lose, at the very least, most if not all your Mando/Merc players within the next month or two.

Macroeconomics
12.25.2012 , 01:46 PM | #603
Quote: Originally Posted by LeonHawkeye View Post
I sincerely hope you (Bioware) do not intend to wait until the "expansion" to properly tend to Commandos/Mercs and/or PvP in general, because if you do, that will be one of the worst and most gross mistakes you will make. You will most definitely lose, at the very least, most if not all your Mando/Merc players within the next month or two.
What Merc players are left? These issues don't affect sub-50 Merc players. Or lev 50 pve Merc players. This is an issue only for lev 50 pvp Merc players. Of which there are what, 10? 20? Across all servers? They've strangled the life out of the class. Their final solution will be when they offer advanced class switching and then they can claim, those that stay a Merc must be happy with the class so BW doesn't need to buff them. There is simply a fundamental disagreement here. The devs think Merc dps is OP. The player base think Merc dps is the worst class in the game. That disagreement isn't going to be resolved. And that is why the problem won't be solved.

PoliteAssasin
12.25.2012 , 02:29 PM | #604
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
We need an escape, but if they make it our new high level trainable skill I'm going to be very put out. Not surprised. But it'd still be total crap when we still lack a good offensive cooldown.
Mercs do fine on offense, quit trying to buff what doesn't need to be buffed. They said they're looking into some sort of escape so leave it at that. The dps is fine.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

DariusCalera
12.25.2012 , 03:12 PM | #605
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
What Merc players are left? These issues don't affect sub-50 Merc players. Or lev 50 pve Merc players. This is an issue only for lev 50 pvp Merc players. Of which there are what, 10? 20? Across all servers? They've strangled the life out of the class. Their final solution will be when they offer advanced class switching and then they can claim, those that stay a Merc must be happy with the class so BW doesn't need to buff them. There is simply a fundamental disagreement here. The devs think Merc dps is OP. The player base think Merc dps is the worst class in the game. That disagreement isn't going to be resolved. And that is why the problem won't be solved.
There is definitely more than 20 lvl 50 PvP merc/mandos across all the servers.

It's not the DPS that most seem to have an issue with, most seem to agree that damage potential is fine.

It's how that DPS is applied in WZs, steady damage over a long time with burst requiring a large amount of set up, the fact that most of our attacks can be very easily shut down, and that we are a ranged class with no real way to stay at range.

LeonHawkeye
12.25.2012 , 03:19 PM | #606
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
Mercs do fine on offense, quit trying to buff what doesn't need to be buffed. They said they're looking into some sort of escape so leave it at that. The dps is fine.
No, they do not do fine on offense. If and only if left to free cast their damage is ok, just ok, not amazing or excellent but simply ok. Being intelligent human beings we know a free casting Commando/Merc is not likely to happen, this effectively cuts the Mando/Merc's damage by approximately 40%, assuming a moderately skilled player, with moderate gear and moderate experience, paying moderate attention to the casting Mando/Merc; this now puts the Mando/Merc's damage in a disgustingly low state. I've seen you lobbying on several other threads against Mercs when you obviously do not play one, had you, even just to level 20 you would clearly see the class is no where near viable, especially not in Ranked play. Where you get the idea the class is, absolutely baffles me but you need to stop and mind your own business because you clearly have no idea how the Mando/Merc class works. Even the best players of this class, those of which are managing to push the class beyond it's limits and somehow mustering mediocre performance (which is all the class is capable of at the moment), many of those same people which have posted in threads like this one, if not this very same one will agree that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I, unlike you, actually play the Commando class in all three of it's specs in fully optimized and augmented WH gear. I even managed an active and competent PvP guild on my server, we regularly run premades and queue for Ranked whenever possible. Out of our entire server (Jedi Covenant, Empire side included) there are only 2-3 active Commando/Mercenaries in Ranked matches, 1 of which is in the process of rerolling to a Sentinel, the other contemplating quitting altogether if he doesn't see any adequate changes for Mandos/Mercs on the horizon, and the last one (myself) am in the process of re rolling into a Powertech. When I rolled an ALT on that Mando/Merc's faction to whisper the player and ask why they no longer play the class they responded with very much the same gist of this entire thread. The same general frustration and disdain for the class resonates from up and coming Mando/Merc players as well, when whispered they respond, again, with many of the same responses found in this thread and many proceed to admit that they are either already re rolling, quitting, or have relegated their Mando/Merc into nothing more than a Commendation farming ALT for their new mains.

Jaruslothran
12.25.2012 , 09:08 PM | #607
I actually got into an argument with a sage bragging how much more he healed than me. Like that is real hard, with that nice AOE heal dropped on the floor. He also was trying to convince me that mercs can tank.

Where do these people come from?

I think half the reason we still have the class problems we do is that most of the player base has obviously never played the gimpiness that is a merc.

We could not get much worse... well.. maybe

AdmiralParmesan
12.25.2012 , 10:03 PM | #608
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
Polite assassin honestly you are an idiot. I see you post all the time and I get sick of it since apraently you don't even play in ranged classes. Merc dps is fine from the pure perspective of the damage done by attacks, but you aren't considering the environment these attacks are done in.

When even a 2 foot tall box in pvp counts as LOS or a small dip in the ground can make a cast cancel. You might not even realize it, but it does. When you count in the multiple ways most classes can stop casts, in combat stealth, interrupts (force charge), Mez, knock-backs and pulls casting isn't very easy, its quite the opposite. If pvp dps merc was like fighting an operations boss where you can freely cast to create damage it would be fine. But in pvp you are fighting real people and varying situations where LOS can even occur by accident and where getting a cast off in near impossible under pressure, its not fine.

Perhaps you should see it from the mercs perspective. Even if they are given another escape it won't change the situation the mercenary class is in. They need more than survivability buffs, they need ways to actually accomplish their casting or they will never be viable.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

cashogy
12.25.2012 , 10:08 PM | #609
bioware will do nothing.

the sad but unfortunate truth

Riggz
12.25.2012 , 11:41 PM | #610
Bumped
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
<BLACK SUN RISING>
<INFAMOUS>