Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mhorlok
12.23.2012 , 11:40 AM | #581
Quote:
And with a question. What was Bioware's intent for Commandoes in PvP, assuming that you had one?
Prior to the first nerfs everyone was crying Commandos were over powered - to much utility, could heal and do mad damage

So they nerfed our ability to heal, next they slowed down our attacks... they boosted our damage to make it on par - but 7k High Impact bolts were unbalanced so they nerfed it... (though smashers still hit me with 1390 Expertise for 7800...)

Give us back our nice damage or make us mobile, mobile is better but if you really want us to be a turret then let us put out more damage stationary then some Maruarder or Jugg when he is moving...

Anishor
12.23.2012 , 11:44 AM | #582
The ability to channel while moving would make mercs pretty useful and unique.
Nightlife, Ebon Hawk Server

Sranishor, Warden
( Jugg/Guard ) ( Mara/Sent )
"For the best party you've ever had.."

NoTomorrow
12.23.2012 , 11:51 AM | #583
Speaking like a true selfish bastard, as a sniper i am very happy with current underpowered state of dps mercs. This basically makes me the uncontested king of range dps in warzones. I can focus on killing healers, melee monkeys, PTs, sorcs without having to worry that someone else will be bothering me from range. I got enemy gunsligers to worry about.

And you know what? Spraking a like true selfish bastard again, i think its right. If orher classes can se line of sight to their advantage, the by all common sense, they shouldnt stand a chance if they decide to facetank me. Therefore a god sniper shpud probably beat the crap out of any merc and sorc in a plain open sight.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

NoTomorrow
12.23.2012 , 11:53 AM | #584
Quote: Originally Posted by Anishor View Post
The ability to channel while moving would make mercs pretty useful and unique.
If you are going for this, than most probably you will not get any leap, pull immunity CD
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

VarrusTheEthical
12.23.2012 , 01:43 PM | #585
I just hope that when Bioware comes back all refreshed from their holiday break at the start of next year, they'll let us know what (if any) changes they're going to make to Commandoes/Mercs. Either through a dev post or PTS notes.
The Starshield Legacy

Volk- Commando, Dahl- Jedi Guardian, Palantine- Sith Juggernaut.

Theodulus
12.23.2012 , 01:47 PM | #586
Quote: Originally Posted by VarrusTheEthical View Post
I just hope that when Bioware comes back all refreshed from their holiday break at the start of next year, they'll let us know what (if any) changes they're going to make to Commandoes/Mercs. Either through a dev post or PTS notes.
Nothing will probably be announced before the 7:th since they want to suck out another $10 before we unsub.

ArchangelLBC
12.24.2012 , 02:25 PM | #587
Honestly if you're going to draw a line in the sand, you'd best wait for the expansion. I don't see any incoming class balance patches being significant enough to make Commando/Merc viable in the interim.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Aaoogaa
12.24.2012 , 02:32 PM | #588
Well I have aquired all the unlocks off the GTN I need to make myself happy so if BW doesn't make class balance a priority I will just play for free until they open their eyes.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Smashbrother
12.24.2012 , 02:35 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Honestly if you're going to draw a line in the sand, you'd best wait for the expansion. I don't see any incoming class balance patches being significant enough to make Commando/Merc viable in the interim.
I'm almost 100% positive we'll be seeing a 1.7 before Makeb arrives. They're really sticking with their 6-8 week content updates plan, and I'm pretty sure the next one will be class balance changes.

Makeb is supposed to be in spring, which is anywhere from March to May.

cashogy
12.24.2012 , 02:39 PM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by Mhorlok View Post
Prior to the first nerfs everyone was crying Commandos were over powered - to much utility, could heal and do mad damage

So they nerfed our ability to heal, next they slowed down our attacks... they boosted our damage to make it on par - but 7k High Impact bolts were unbalanced so they nerfed it... (though smashers still hit me with 1390 Expertise for 7800...)

Give us back our nice damage or make us mobile, mobile is better but if you really want us to be a turret then let us put out more damage stationary then some Maruarder or Jugg when he is moving...
this is wrong, almost entirely.

people cried about Tracer Missile spam, because nobody knew how to play and use an interrupt correctly yet.

Merc, too much utility? LOL. the devs have been telling us since launch the reason Merc/Mando had fewer utility skills is b/c we had way better damage, which was a flat out lie.

the healing nerf was unrelated to PvP. the hardcore PvE players whined that PvE ops were too easy, so Bioware nerfed Sorc and Merc healing to increase the difficulty. not the best way to do it, since it had a large negative effect on PvP.

Immediately after 1.2 (basically within the first 24 hours of that patch) Demo Round/Heatseeker Missiles were doing craptons of damage. Before 1.2, the damage buff from Tracer stacks was not functioning, at all. So in fixing it, BIoware accidentally made ALL Tracer stacks count towards the damage buff, even from multiple targets. And since a ton of people were still playing Mercs right at 1.2, there were usually a lot of Tracer stacks on targets, meaning you could easily get 50+% damage increases, resulting in 7k+ hits. This was a BUG, and was appropriately fixed.

Merc/Mando damage does NOT need to be buffed. What does need a buff is our ability to continue doing damage throughout most situations. I have proposed some ideas, which got moved into the BH forum here, that would pretty much solve all of Merc/Mando problems and put them on par with other DPS classes
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads