Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ArchangelLBC
12.21.2012 , 01:16 AM | #571
Quote: Originally Posted by Marisblood View Post
They need a buff but grave round or tracer misile need to be part of a rotation or pop up after a rotation to avoid spaming it.
It is part of a rotation. Unfortunately everything in the tree is tied to it. Curtain of fire? Procced by grav round. Charged Barrel (6% increase in HiB Damage per stack)? Stacks come from Grav Round. Debuff which boosts Demo Round damage by 5% per stack? You guessed it! Grav Round.

People don't just spam grav round for the lulz. Everything in the tree is tied to it. There are 4 basic offensive abilities in the Gunnery rotation and unfortunately 3 of them depend on Grav Round, and the 4th is Grav Round.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

DariusCalera
12.21.2012 , 06:50 AM | #572
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
It is part of a rotation. Unfortunately everything in the tree is tied to it. Curtain of fire? Procced by grav round. Charged Barrel (6% increase in HiB Damage per stack)? Stacks come from Grav Round. Debuff which boosts Demo Round damage by 5% per stack? You guessed it! Grav Round.

People don't just spam grav round for the lulz. Everything in the tree is tied to it. There are 4 basic offensive abilities in the Gunnery rotation and unfortunately 3 of them depend on Grav Round, and the 4th is Grav Round.
I think this what a lot of people just don't understand about the class. It's not that we spam Grav Round because we want to, it's because we have to.

Worst thing is that when BW does give us something new, i.e. insta heal with EMP, they tie it to Charged Barrel which is, of course, tied to Grav Round which makes us spam it for another reason.

VarrusTheEthical
12.21.2012 , 12:07 PM | #573
Bioware needs to either redesign gunnery so that's it's not totally dependent on one ability, or make grave round immune to interrupts.
The Starshield Legacy

Volk- Commando, Dahl- Jedi Guardian, Palantine- Sith Juggernaut.

T-Assassin
12.21.2012 , 12:50 PM | #574
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
I think that the major class update around the corner (1.7 and/or the expansion, not sure which or possibly both) is going to be a watershed moment, for better or for worse. It's been over half a year since the last major class balancing (1.2) and by the time we reach it we'll probably be closer to a year. I think a lot of people will be using this update to determine whether they stay or go. And as much as I've defended the game, I'm part of that group watching and waiting.
This (the 1.7, or the PvP class balancing) is exactly what will determine my staying or leaving...

when SWTOR came out, i told myself and my friends playing that i would give this game a year...a SOLID year.

1.2 almost made a liar out of me...but, i stuck with it, and have only seen further and further descent into the PvP abyss for once fun, enjoyable, and competative classes such as: Mercs, dps 'sin, dps op, and non-bubble sorcs.

the absolute inability to play these classes, competatively, in RWZ (or even semi-competative nonRWZ) is my breaking point.

every class, EVERY spec should be viable and somewhat balanced in PvP...which was once the case, in Pre 1.2, imo.

and as i tried to support the dieing Merc community, even being in somewhat of denial at the fading viability of the Merc, it was only a matter of time before reality became fact. Fact is: Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP!

i do just fine in PvE...i'd put my skill/dps output up against the best of the best (not Eric Roberts, tho).

but, PvP...no effing way. it's just not fun to be a highly skilled player and get repeatedly raped by the overpopulation of monkeys with lightsabers.

so, space sucks, PvP sucks, and PvE is awesome but lacking new (or significantly replayable, i.e. NM mode FP's, 25+ epic(heroic) missions like EQ2, etc.) content.

and my first love is PvP...that's how i leveled 5 toons to 50...

not SWTOR PvP...not as a Merc.

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

ArchangelLBC
12.21.2012 , 04:31 PM | #575
Without a complete redesign of the tree, and some serious buffs to utility and what not, (the Run and Gun idea I like) I just don't see Gunnery ever being viable in ranked PVP.

At least we're iconic. Troopers are supposed to get facerolled by light saber monkeys right?

-Wnd

SenseX
12.21.2012 , 10:46 PM | #576
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
At least we're iconic. Troopers are supposed to get facerolled by light saber monkeys right?
A true Sith Warrior should be able to take out a whole battalion of Troopers on his own!

ArchangelLBC
12.22.2012 , 01:08 AM | #577
Quote: Originally Posted by SenseX View Post
A true Sith Warrior should be able to take out a whole battalion of Troopers on his own!
As long as those troopers are commandos, this absolutely happens.

-Wnd

ArchangelLBC
12.22.2012 , 03:19 PM | #578
Bumpy bump bump bump

-Wnd

VarrusTheEthical
12.23.2012 , 08:14 AM | #579
Bump so the topic isn't forgotten.

And with a question. What was Bioware's intent for Commandoes in PvP, assuming that you had one?
The Starshield Legacy

Volk- Commando, Dahl- Jedi Guardian, Palantine- Sith Juggernaut.

DariusCalera
12.23.2012 , 09:52 AM | #580
Quote: Originally Posted by VarrusTheEthical View Post
Bump so the topic isn't forgotten.

And with a question. What was Bioware's intent for Commandoes in PvP, assuming that you had one?
I think that their intent was to have a semi mobile ranged DPS platform that relied on its heavy armor and heals to survive.

However heavy armor doesn't mean squat, and they've admitted to that, because so much of the damage in PvP bypasses it. Secondly, the heals that a dps mando has are relatively weak and easily interrupted so using those to survive while under pressure is extremely difficult at best.

That leaves their only defenses as being range and dps but range does not really exist for the commando because they can be jumped to and their dps, while good if left alone, is easily shut down.

It will probably take a near total reworking of the AC to get it to be competitive in PvP again. Hopefully it happens in the next patch because truthfully, if it doesn't get fixed then I'm not going to wait around for it to possibly get fixed in the expansion.