Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

thamightyboro
12.06.2012 , 02:24 AM | #441
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
You're doing it wrong if you're only getting half the damage of other classes when you're being left to free cast.
Aye perhaps I should just run around like a loon ensuring I get involved in every fight

I think it probably stems from just being with good teams tbh but still feel we are lacking in damage.

You cant get hits off before the 3 x lolsmash has already killed the focus target, yesterday was consistently lolsmashers 700-900k everyone else 500k or so myself and other mando 300k scrubs I'd probably do more only using hammer/rail/demo in fact I might try that today.
"If someone had came up to me in the 80s and said we will
be playing games with 1000s of people at the same time.
My response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

ArchangelLBC
12.07.2012 , 12:46 AM | #442
Quote: Originally Posted by thamightyboro View Post
Aye perhaps I should just run around like a loon ensuring I get involved in every fight

I think it probably stems from just being with good teams tbh but still feel we are lacking in damage.

You cant get hits off before the 3 x lolsmash has already killed the focus target, yesterday was consistently lolsmashers 700-900k everyone else 500k or so myself and other mando 300k scrubs I'd probably do more only using hammer/rail/demo in fact I might try that today.
I think someone once found spamming hammer shot in Assault Spec does like 1k DPS. Either way doing half while being left to free cast and being involved in the zerg the whole time is just a gearing issue I'd say. Well half of the non smashers. They're kinda cheating on that front tbh.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Aaoogaa
12.07.2012 , 12:57 AM | #443
Since the devs have pointed out that pillar humping is part of the commando class balance should we be reporting anyone else that is doing it since they are obviously exploiting a commando only ability?
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

ArchangelLBC
12.07.2012 , 01:44 AM | #444
Let me know how that works out for you. At this point I'm not sure I can muster the damns to give. Least after 1.6 my commando might actually get some warhero gear.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Kable
12.07.2012 , 09:33 AM | #445
I have been screamin about this since i hit 50 last year. Once a melee character gets on you , you might as well hang it up. They have more ways to get closer to you than you have of getting away from them.
This annoyed me so much that I have stopped playing my merc all together and went to classes like sin or operative
you have to be smoking some good stuff to think there is'nt a problem.
-------< EXCISION >-------
Mature PvP Vets - All Gaming Fun
Read more...

HybridCode
12.07.2012 , 04:39 PM | #446

My commando is my main and I would have to say I average around 450-550k in all the warzones put together. I usually hit 600-850k in a voidstar. Bro if you're only doing 300k, it's probably you. I know as for myself, I do run around "like a loon" ensuring I get involved in every fight. Reason being is I do a lot of damage.

On the topic of dealing with melee, Devs have it right. I do struggle a lot with melee on me. If a guardian/juggernaut in vigilance/vengeance spec jumps on me, I die instantly guaranteed. It would be a good idea to give an ability that gives us immunity to all controlling affects briefly on cooldown; much like the unremitting/unstoppable does for Guards/Jugs.
The only Commando left sitting...

thamightyboro
12.07.2012 , 05:19 PM | #447
Quote: Originally Posted by HybridCode View Post
My commando is my main and I would have to say I average around 450-550k in all the warzones put together. I usually hit 600-850k in a voidstar. Bro if you're only doing 300k, it's probably you. I know as for myself, I do run around "like a loon" ensuring I get involved in every fight. Reason being is I do a lot of damage.

On the topic of dealing with melee, Devs have it right. I do struggle a lot with melee on me. If a guardian/juggernaut in vigilance/vengeance spec jumps on me, I die instantly guaranteed. It would be a good idea to give an ability that gives us immunity to all controlling affects briefly on cooldown; much like the unremitting/unstoppable does for Guards/Jugs.
Still in BM gear so I'll see how it goes once I get that WH set on been matching the big boys today just been switching targets earlier so I'm already hitting the target before everyone else leaps on. Still wish Grav would hit when it lands not a second later. Still not really seeing the escape issues though although I wouldn't say no to a stun grenade type ability and a commando passive that increases cryo back to 30m or at least max knock back range. By the time we cryo and then KB we have lost a couple of seconds of the stun so it would be better as it was and KB then Stun.
"If someone had came up to me in the 80s and said we will
be playing games with 1000s of people at the same time.
My response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

Aaoogaa
12.07.2012 , 05:53 PM | #448
Still in BM gear so I'll see how it goes once I get that WH set on been matching the big boys today just been switching targets earlier so I'm already hitting the target before everyone else leaps on. Still wish Grav would hit when it lands not a second later. Still not really seeing the escape issues though although I wouldn't say no to a stun grenade type ability and a commando passive that increases cryo back to 30m or at least max knock back range. By the time we cryo and then KB we have lost a couple of seconds of the stun so it would be better as it was and KB then Stun.
He is assault not gunnery. Won't matter in WH either unless you respec assault...even then you would be the red headed step child to Vanguard assault.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Asvarduil
12.07.2012 , 07:35 PM | #449
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
As someone else said already, help us to help you. As far as PvP goes, the best PvP'rs in this game know how to play it better than the Devs do, and they know how to make it better also.
No offense BW, but the man is right.

Admittedly, you have better things to do than play a Merc/Comm, as you also are adding content regularly, fixing bugs, and everything else needed to keep this game alive.

Much more reason for us to help you; you have a loyal PvP base who want a more competitive game. A more competitive game does not mean 'easy for everyone except [insert class here].' We want Mercs and Commandos in all brackets to put up a decent fight, on par with everyone else. Currently they do not, because their kit does not permit them to.

Please heed the critiques you see here! A commando/merc is an easy kill; they rely on casts (something you rarely want to do in PvP), have no escape mechanisms (you acknowledged it, but all the acknowledgement in the world isn't helping comm/mercs put up a decent fight in-game...), and provide zero utility. As far as I've seen, they're only dangerous if ignored. Given that they're a class capable of healing, you can likely guess how frequently they are ignored. (I'll give you a hint: it's between 0% and an imaginary percentage.)

I realize I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said earlier in this thread. But pushing it off isn't helping PvP, or players that love to PvP, and therefore not helping you. From a player's perspective, I think it's safe to say that this is a class imbalance that would be better off resolved.
Most epic PvP forum thread ever. | Tales of the Healer - Latest Episode! [08/30/2013]

Captain Kruhnch (Lv.39 Sawbones) - Shadowlands
Cuddlemuffin (Lv.16 Mercenary) - Shadowlands

Macroeconomics
12.07.2012 , 08:20 PM | #450
Quote: Originally Posted by Asvarduil View Post
From a player's perspective, I think it's safe to say that this is a class imbalance that would be better off resolved.
The entire player base understands this. BW does not. BW continues to believe that Merc dps is overpowered because their meta average statistics tell them so. Until BW jettisons their reliance on ingame collected stats to drive class (im)balance, nothing constructive is going to happen. We are now 3 days away from 1.6 - does anyone here believe that any benefits to Merc dps will be in that patch? The irony would be if BW slipped in a change to Mercs in 1.6 at the last moment. With no testing on PTS, no feedback from the community, and probably some bug that nerfs Mercs. Don't laugh, its happened before...