Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy
11.21.2012 , 01:14 AM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by Nassik View Post
No mention of the proposed jetpack escape ability? A Dev himself weakly stated that we've got escapability issues. The proposed jetpack ability would give us that.
i do not think such an ability is necessary.

i did suggest that for Arsenal, using Jet Boost grants a 4s 30% speed boost after the knockback. its not a jetpack escape ability, but i think that it would do the job quite well and keep Merc within the realm of balance.

i also suggested that Degauss grant full immunity to movement-impairments for the full duration of Energy Shield, not just a 1 time cleanse. that would give Pyro a similar "escape" ability.

the key to most of these changes is that they do not require new animations, or new abilities. almost all of these abilities require only some changes to values in the coding. basically, "keep it simple stupid" so that bioware can make these changes quickly in order to balance test them
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Nassik
11.21.2012 , 01:18 AM | #342
Fair enough. I figured as much.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Dovahbrah
11.21.2012 , 02:57 AM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
I don't think anyone was expecting changes to class balance in this patch, but they've made it clear that it's coming. They've acknowledged that there are issues. Stay positive, but keep up the drum beat . It'll happen.
Why wouldn't we expect changes in this patch? Why should we have to wait 3-4 MORE months for changes?
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Jherad
11.21.2012 , 08:09 AM | #344
Heh, I AM expecting improvements in this patch, even if just incremental. This or the next, or I'm done. This crap has been going on plenty long enough - they've implemented their cash cow, now it's time for some fixes.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

cashogy
11.21.2012 , 01:38 PM | #345
go post in that thread i made! there are a bunch of bads who dont even understand merc posting in it, very frustrating
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Aaoogaa
11.21.2012 , 03:12 PM | #346
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
It's nice to know that corner hugging is only allowed by commando/mercs and that this ability is figured into their class balance. To even post this is ignorant. Corner hugging is a tactic everyone has and shouldn't be figured into class balance at all. Fix commando/merc so they can provide full dps output while being attacked and balance their defensive abilities to the other classes...specifically mara/sent. Our shield should remain the same duration and absorb 50% of incoming damage to be balanced or lowered to a 1 min duration. Add a 4 second root to sticky and change the stock strike back to the original beta version with a knock back and a 2 sec knock down.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

klham
11.21.2012 , 03:39 PM | #347
Agreed re. corner hugging. It comes off as and L2P comment. L2P is a totally separate issue from the omissions in this AC's design. Even when you maximize this AC's potential it still falls up short against every single other AC in the game and is a hard-counter to none of them.

Macroeconomics
11.21.2012 , 04:01 PM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by Henu View Post
Dont give us that BS, im a full time Arsenal Merc DPS'er, i can put out put as much DPS as most other classes. It has nothing to do with being Molested as you say, its about knowing the class, knowing how to kite and knowing the maps and Most important how to LOS.
I've put up 800k damage as a Merc Pyro. I have the top dps score in 90% of the wz matches I am in. You know how I do that? I kill Mercs first. They are the easiest to kill. By far.

However unlike you, I also play other classes. And on those toons too, there is one general rule. Kill the easiest players first. Kill Mercs first. The only time you ever lose to a Merc in a clean 1v1 is....well, never. Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Only dishonest people or idiots would contest that.

But since YOU can put out as much DPS as other classes, I'm sure you'll be able to show us your 1.2 million damage screenshot, right?

klham
11.21.2012 , 04:06 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
I have the top dps score in 90% of the wz matches I am in. You know how I do that? I kill Mercs first.
Oh, snap.

DarthBloodloss
11.21.2012 , 04:07 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
I've put up 800k damage as a Merc Pyro.
I went 82-0 with 650k in Voidstar once as an Arsenal Merc. Doesn't mean they are good!
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS