Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthBloodloss
11.15.2012 , 07:09 PM | #301
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post
Make GR/TM instant and reduce its damage and either 1: Up the damage of our other abilities to make up for it, or 2: Return the proc possibility of CoF/Barrage back to 3 seconds instead of 6.
Mercs need to stick together. Dont mention instant Tracer Missile without also suggesting instant Power Shots. It may seem obvious to us but lets not take any chances!
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

SneiK
11.15.2012 , 07:32 PM | #302
Bump.

Thou shall not let this thread die.

But just in case BW doesn't like bumps...

Yeah, I must agree with someone on this thread. Good suggestions...Something.

FatEdd
11.15.2012 , 07:49 PM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Admittedly, I haven't touched my Commando since late January, due to the fact that I could see the train wreck that was coming later on. Once people figured out how to play their classes well, especially melee, it was apparent that DPS mercs/commandos would be at the bottom of the food chain.

Alas, I was vindicated, and at the present time DPS Mercs/Commandos are still in a bad place in PvP in the 50s bracket. Sure, they can do well in the 10-49 bracket, but that's irrelevant. The real balance should be in respect to the 50s bracket, and the fact is, Mercs/Commandos are severely under performing. They can do well when mostly ignored and allowed to free-cast, but in reality, this is almost never the case unless the opponent you're facing is awful. Any PvP'er worth his salt knows healers are the priority target, closely followed by Mercs/Commandos since they're basically free kills when under pressure. Whenever I log onto my Jugg/Sentinel/Shadow/Vanguard, I always consider Mercs/Commandos free kills, no matter how good the other player is. Some of them can put up a halfway decent fight at times, but even at their best, they can't get me below 40-50% health. It's a sad state of affairs for them.

So my question is, when is BW going to address the class? I think most can agree with me that it's in a bad spot. There's plenty of other threads regarding the issue, like this one: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=541411

That thread has hundreds of posts, some of them are pure whines, but many of them are filled with genuinely good ideas to improve the class. Yet, there hasn't been a single post from BW in response to the issue. Surely BW can throw the Mercs/Commandos in that thread a bone? If I were to post about the Coin Shop, I'd get a yellow post in an instant. Yet, this thread has hundreds of posts, but not even one response. What's the deal BW?

Merc/Commando damage is, for the most part, in a good place. Damage isn't really the issue. The problem with Mercs/Commandos is their extremely lacking utility/escape abilities. They have no disengage, they have no sprint, they only have 1 knockback, a root that only works in melee range (why?), a mezz (with cast time) on a 1 min CD and a 10m (why?) stun. Mercs/Commandos offer nothing that other classes don't also have, and other classes can do their job better. You don't see DPS Mercs/Commandos in rated warzones, why is that? It's because the other classes offer much more utility and survivability, and overall they do their jobs better.

In my opinion, Mercs/Commandos would have a lot less to complain about if they had some additional utility skills. If you parse that thread I linked, I'm sure you could find some gems that wouldn't overpower the class at all. For example, what if Mercs/Commandos gained 3-4 seconds of increased movement speed after using their knockback? What if their knockback also removed any snares they had on themselves? Why can't the root on stockstrike/rocket punch simply be added on to the knockback component it once had? What if unload/full auto was uninterruptible, like Tanksins' telekinetic throw/lightning and Warriors/Knights' ravage/master strike? What if they had a disengage/retreat that would send them back 20-30 meters on use with a cooldown? What if they had some type of sprint likes inquisitors/consulars? These kind of ideas are golden and would help the class immensely.

Please BW, I don't play my Commando anymore, but help these guys out and give them some love. I'm starting to feel bad every time I kill them in a warzone, it's just not fair. The class is in need of a much needed boost.

P.S. The interrupt you gave them should've been there at release.

Edit: Here's a list of good ideas that have been brought up in this thread and others, so that Devs could see them more easily:
Nice post, I would be happy if they just sorted out the Heat issues the Merc has to be honest. I find I do pretty good damage and have a reasonable survivability, but admittedly you have to be a lot more tactful in all WZs to be able to be highish on the damage and compete with the "easier to be pvp" classes. But the biggest issue to me is the heat problems you get, and with a 2 minute vent heat cooldown really can spoil a hard fought WZ for the Merc. Nothing worse than seeing people dishing out endless specials whilst you are waiting 2 minutes to use your Vent Heat and having the odd rail shot available to you along with just regular blaster fire.

Cheers

Fat

cashogy
11.15.2012 , 09:27 PM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by FatEdd View Post
Nice post, I would be happy if they just sorted out the Heat issues the Merc has to be honest. I find I do pretty good damage and have a reasonable survivability, but admittedly you have to be a lot more tactful in all WZs to be able to be highish on the damage and compete with the "easier to be pvp" classes. But the biggest issue to me is the heat problems you get, and with a 2 minute vent heat cooldown really can spoil a hard fought WZ for the Merc. Nothing worse than seeing people dishing out endless specials whilst you are waiting 2 minutes to use your Vent Heat and having the odd rail shot available to you along with just regular blaster fire.

Cheers

Fat
heat management is actually fine imo

AdmiralParmesan
11.16.2012 , 02:25 AM | #305
As a dps sorc player I can only hope they fix merc problems. My class has also generally been ignored when it comes to buffing the dps specs for pvp. The fundamental problems with DPS sorc in pvp are not exactly the same problems the DPS merc faces but still neither class has had its problems accurately addressed.

So Bump,

Hope bioware actually listens one day so eventually a ranged class other than sniper will be viable for pvp

RamasSoKehur
11.16.2012 , 11:42 AM | #306
yeah i agree to da bump

help the mercs cause i wanna lvl one

DarthBloodloss
11.16.2012 , 08:03 PM | #307
Time for the daily reply:

I have been hoping for instant cast power shots, but I would like to add to my list. (I try to suggest the smallest changes so they are more likely to be considered.)

Mobile Cylinder Changing! When running from node to node I want to be able to change to the Combat Support Cylinder and heal people while we run.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Essence_of_Light
11.17.2012 , 01:17 PM | #308
Same, I'm a DPS Commando the PvPs and always a hard time. We do decent damage but need REAL DEFENSIVE abilities and UTILITY. For the sake for all us Commandos/Mercs.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

DeathDealerElite
11.17.2012 , 03:46 PM | #309
Bumpity bump bump bump!

My Commando is only level 21 but it's my favorite class that I've played so far. The style and the way it's played suits me well. A utility or defensive buff and we'd be holding our own just fine.
Draevon

<Brutality>

Dovahbrah
11.18.2012 , 07:22 PM | #310
Bibbity bobbity bump.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman